Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That sounds like it wont be coming with all the snow peak kitchen gear then.
It's really a strange decision considering he said the take rate on the original design was higher than they expected. Some people might just want something cheap and functional but I don't necessarily want reducing cost to eat into capability.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That sounds like it wont be coming with all the snow peak kitchen gear then.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Not hard to nest all those things more compactly than they were in the last versions. Utensils can all go into one container for example. Pots/pans etc can stack more

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Not hard to nest all those things more compactly than they were in the last versions. Utensils can all go into one container for example. Pots/pans etc can stack more
Hopefully that’s the case.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The only reason I can think they wouldn't sell OG camp kitchen is rattles. So the new version may not come with parts like utensils.

Early on Rivian was suggesting that the KC would be removed between camping trips. That to me sounds like they were trying to find a solution to rattles. But of course most people would not remove it between trips. Rivian would own the rattles.

Tonneau-gate taught Rivian that they need to be super careful with the add-ons or be killed by warranty claims. Ironically camp kitchen was probably the key exhibit to potential investors of how Rivian would capture high margins from add-ons. Jeep "losing" vast amounts of potential revenue to third party customization probably doesn't look so dumb anymore.

Service centers don't seem to have the capacity to install KC either. But that capacity issue seemed to come after Rivian decided to not sell it. The original camp kitchen may not have been installation friendly either. A smaller KC may even be user installable.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The only reason I can think they wouldn't sell OG camp kitchen is rattles. So the new version may not come with parts like utensils.

Early on Rivian was suggesting that the KC would be removed between camping trips. That to me sounds like they were trying to find a solution to rattles. But of course most people would not remove it between trips. Rivian would own the rattles.

Tonneau-gate taught Rivian that they need to be super careful with the add-ons or be killed by warranty claims. Ironically camp kitchen was probably the key exhibit to potential investors of how Rivian would capture high margins from add-ons. Jeep "losing" vast amounts of potential revenue to third party customization probably doesn't look so dumb anymore.

Service centers don't seem to have the capacity to install KC either. But that capacity issue seemed to come after Rivian decided to not sell it. The original camp kitchen may not have been installation friendly either. A smaller KC may even be user installable.
Rattles? Everything was in cork dividers. It’s possible to not have dishes rattling around. It’s done on boats, RVs, etc for ages.

I’d expect anyone would remove it between uses, to have the gear tunnel available. Not because of rattles.

it was not the kitchen unit that had to be installed by a service centre, it was the shuttle, presumably because the attachment points are under the carpets and paneling in the gear tunnel. The kitchen unit attached to t-slot channels in the shuttle, and plugged in to the power outlets on the shuttle. This has been demonstrated in videos.
Sponsored

Reactions: VSG