Sponsored

GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not??

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
After watching videos from "Ted Actually Talks" when he's driving with his dog in the gear tunnel, I got to thinking about putting pets in the tunnel and whether or not it's a good idea. What do you think??

I'm trying to think of why it WOULDN'T be a good idea, as long as they have access to fresh air through the sliding cabin-to-gear-tunnel door. It is certainly safer than putting them in the truck bed and probably even safer than them being loose in the cabin. Even a finder bender or sudden stop can send a pet flying. I don't have a dog now, but have a cat that I may need to take with me once I get my R1T. I'm thinking about making some kind of screen insert for the cabin-to-gear-tunnel door to allow air flow while traveling, but keeping my cat confined to the tunnel. Cats often want to hide when traveling and prefer to be in a confined space. Might not be the "preferred" way to travel for a dog that loves to stick its head out the window, but probably actually safer for both you and your pet. The gear tunnel may be the safest place to be in an accident, since it's right in the middle of the vehicle. No exhaust fumes to worry about either. Hummm...l don't see a lot of difference between the gear tunnel and a crate. Tell me how I'm wrong and why.

Rivian R1T R1S GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not?? PupInGearTunnel

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Only issue I can think of is if they hide in the tunnel, you wouldn't be able to ensure they are ok. Just in the rare instance they have some issue.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Only issue I can think of is if they hide in the tunnel, you wouldn't be able to ensure they are ok. Just in the rare instance they have some issue.
If animals are in crates in the bed of a pickup you wouldn't know if they are okay either. I see that situation often. ?

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
a small dog would probably have a ball as long as the center thing is open, bigger dogs like that husky not so much.

I mean to me it ranks up there with putting a dog in the crate on top of a car, dark, bouncy, just doesn't seem like a great place for a family pet.

though I admit to laughing at the cat comment above, like when we have to take ours to the vet and put them in a carrier, I'd rather shoot them with a dart gun and wait a bit than try that ever

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Please video the *second* time you try to put a cat into the gear tunnel.
? True! But, probably very much like putting them in a carrier to go to the vet the *second* time. I'll do some videos for you after I get my R1T. I'm betting my cat will head right down that gear-tunnel rabbit-hole the first time she sees it. After the first trip--we'll see. ?

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I never really understood the crate/cage thing. My pets just ride in the cabin with me.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Animals need to have enough space to stand up, turn around, generally be comfortable. So size matters.

BUT - the gear tunnel is not part of the passenger compartment. We have no idea if that gear tunnel is part of a crush zone, whether it will hold it's shape in a bad accident, or is designed to collapse, etc. There's also no real climate control except for that little pass-thru, so it has the potential to get very hot/cold.

If you wouldn't put your pet in the trunk of a car, you shouldn't put your pet in the gear tunnel.

That's how I see it.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Any medium size dog couldn’t stand up or sit. If someone needs to explain beyond that it’s already too late. Just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

If animals are in crates in the bed of a pickup you wouldn't know if they are okay either. I see that situation often. ?
I can't say I've seen that much around me. Probably because 8 months out of the year it is either too hot or too cold to do that safely.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
So, for those of you that think your dogs are safer sitting in the cab with you...do you strap them in with a harness and a seat belt?? If not, you are endangering them should you need to slam on the brakes or are in an accident of any kind.

Or, how 'bout when your dog decides it needs to jump across your lap to bark at the dog next to you in the vehicle passing on the highway at 70+mph and causes an accident. Just sayin'.

Rivian R1T R1S GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not?? 1642539178394

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Absolutely not. The gear tunnel is not a place to put any live animal while the vehicle is in motion. I see this coming as a warning in the manual or a warning label.

I'll also point out that dogs in the bed of a pickup are illegal in some states.

And to answer the other OP question, yes my dogs are restrained in the vehicle when I'm driving. It's also a good practice in the event you're in an accident, you don't want a dog jumping out of the car and running into traffic where they can potentially be injured. This is very common.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
We have no idea if that gear tunnel is part of a crush zone, whether it will hold it's shape in a bad accident, or is designed to collapse, etc.
You have to remember, that big battery runs all the way through the bottom of that truck between the wheels and is the most secure/rigid/solid area of the entire vehicle. I would think it is the least likely area to crumple.
There's also no real climate control except for that little pass-thru, so it has the potential to get very hot/cold.
You got me thinking on this one...I'll have to put a thermometer in the tunnel while driving to see what the temperature does. With the slider door open, some heat/AC from the cabin would get through. There are power outlets in the tunnel that could run a small heated pet-pad in really cold weather...humm. ? I am NOT thinking of pets being in there totally closed off from the cabin as they would in the trunk of a vehicle...the pass-through would have to be open, of course.

I'm still not convinced that it's not the safest spot for a pet, so keep the cons coming!!
Sponsored