Sponsored

Gear Tunnel and Frunk size

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Has anybody seen measurements for the frunk and gear tunnel? I am curious if my ARB fridge will fit in the frunk. It looks wide enough but I am not sure about the depth. I am also curious about the width at the top and bottom of the trapezoid shape of the gear tunnel. Height would be very helpful too.

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel and Frunk size rivian tunnel sm
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Has anybody seen measurements for the frunk and gear tunnel? I am curious if my ARB fridge will fit in the frunk. It looks wide enough but I am not sure about the depth. I am also curious about the width at the top and bottom of the trapezoid shape of the gear tunnel. Height would be very helpful too.

rivian tunnel sm.png
I don't know the frunk dimensions, but specs show 330 liters of cubic space. There's a video out there from Overland Expo that shows an ARB-like fridge in the frunk, and also mention that Rivian might offer one that perfectly fits the frunk shape.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I don't know the dimensions, but the Rivian frunk is easily the most spacious one I have seen in any EV. For me, the problem is lift-over height for heavy objects. I was wondering why they didn't make the sheetmetal between the stadium headlights part of the trunk lid so that you could load from the front instead of the top. Then it occurred to me that it might have something to do with crash protection or with cooling systems. However, the bumper is still high-riding and very substantial.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I don't know the dimensions, but the Rivian frunk is easily the most spacious one I have seen in any EV. For me, the problem is lift-over height for heavy objects. I was wondering why they didn't make the sheetmetal between the stadium headlights part of the trunk lid so that you could load from the front instead of the top. Then it occurred to me that it might have something to do with crash protection or with cooling systems. However, the bumper is still high-riding and very substantial.
Something to consider is that you can always squat the vehicle when loading and unloading to a ride height of 8". I am sure that will still be too tall for some but that will be an option to use. I believe that that the reason for the "grill" not being a part of the hood is probably more to do with aero than structure...but I am also not an engineer...just a WAG.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wondered why not make a front "tailgate".

Aero, as well as water resistance, is my guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I don't know the frunk dimensions, but specs show 330 liters of cubic space. There's a video out there from Overland Expo that shows an ARB-like fridge in the frunk, and also mention that Rivian might offer one that perfectly fits the frunk shape.
Thanks. I saw that fridge. I am not sure about the brand. It could be an Engle. Hopefully, my 63qt is not too tall. The size is H 16.9" x W 17.7" x D 33.3 but it sure looks bigger than that in person o_O
At 33 inches maybe it is the length I should be worried about.

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel and Frunk size fridge cropped sm

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Might be tough to lift in & out, but I think it would fit.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I agree - the lift over may be a problem for all but light gear. However, I have not physically stood there to get a feel for the angles, so my opinion may change when I finally get to see one in person.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Rivian sent out an email on April 17, 2020 that included some FAQ's on the gear tunnel.

Can I stand on it?
You bet! The hinge holds up to 400 lbs.

How does it open?
With a button, phone, fob or your voice.

Is there a light inside?
There is.

How about an emergency release?
Absolutely.

Does it have power?
There’s a 110V power outlet.

What fits best?
Muddy gear, camping equipment, ski boots, golf clubs — even the kitchen sink.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Rivian sent out an email on April 17, 2020 that included some FAQ's on the gear tunnel.

Can I stand on it?
You bet! The hinge holds up to 400 lbs.

How does it open?
With a button, phone, fob or your voice.

Is there a light inside?
There is.

How about an emergency release?
Absolutely.

Does it have power?
There’s a 110V power outlet.

What fits best?
Muddy gear, camping equipment, ski boots, golf clubs — even the kitchen sink.
I am not getting these e-mails. What address is it from?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
There's also the wheel well in the pickup bed that might be used for fridge storage. The lift-over height is lower. In the SUV, there's been discussion about whether or not the wheel well size will be the same as the pickup. The last I heard Rivian was trying to make that happen - same size wheel wells in the R1T and R1S, except in the case of the 180 kW version. In the 180 version, wheel well space is used for batteries.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Am I missing anything on the cabin storage options?

* No glove compartment (awesome - legroom is better, IMO)
* Pullout drawers under the seats
* Pockets in the front doors
* Storage under the back seats in the low and mid-range options
* Paneled compartment and wireless recharger on the center console between front seats

I wonder if they'll have a cooler option in the center console like a Landcruiser's. Always thought that was a neat idea.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Anyone know the frunk width? It would be awesome if it could hold golf clubs. I do an annual golf road trip with some friends and it I got the 3 row RS1 it would be a fantastic use of space
Sponsored