Sponsored

Gear Guard Cable Upgrade?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Bed has 110v plugs, wire it up! A little shock is better than nothing.
Be sure to test it and film for us please.
I'm thinking the best security device would be a version of the Trunk Monkey but in the gear tunnel. Gary senses suspicious activity, gear tunnel door drops, out comes a chimp with a tire iron.

Problem solved!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From my experience there are no bike locks or cables that are theft PROOF. They are all only deterrents so you have to get creative or make it very inconvenient for a thief to take your stuff. In a truck bed cables or chains are going to have to be a part of the solution and cables are typically one of the easier things to get through.

If it were me I would use the GG cables, but also add other chains or cables that attach to other tie downs and if you have 2 bikes, cable the bikes together. I would also use something like this Kryptonite lock or the chain @crashmtb referred to earlier.

All you are really trying to do is make it such a pain in the ass that a would be thief will skip your bikes and move on to some other, easier target.

OP
OP
Wefty

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I don't think I'm being clear. I know that cables and chains can be cut. I know that everything can be broken into or stolen. I know that I like the convenience of the GGC. What I'm looking to do is make the GGC look like it is electrified so a thief will stop and think for a minute before stealing my bike. Just long enough that I get back from a bathroom break before the bike is gone. If I'm really worried I'll take the wheels off and put the bike in the bed with the cover closed.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
You are probably better off putting a sticker in the rear window that says ā€œSmile! Youā€™re on cameraā€.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't think I'm being clear. I know that cables and chains can be cut. I know that everything can be broken into or stolen. I know that I like the convenience of the GGC. What I'm looking to do is make the GGC look like it is electrified so a thief will stop and think for a minute before stealing my bike. Just long enough that I get back from a bathroom break before the bike is gone. If I'm really worried I'll take the wheels off and put the bike in the bed with the cover closed.
If the cameras and cable alone arenā€™t giving the thief enough ā€thoughtā€ then making it orange certainly wonā€™t. Iā€™d even be concerned that non-convincing embellishment may make you a target for theft (think ā€œchallenge acceptedā€).

Imo, the key to security is to avoid areas where itā€™s likely to be a problem, and take reasonable an non-obtrusive steps to deter casual theft, crime of opportunity, and male You slightly less attractive than the targets around you. Nothing will protect you from a professional thief/crew; and drawing attention isnā€˜t going to help you.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Someone else suggested orange wireloom, so I'll reiterate that suggestion. 1/4 should work.

Reactions: R1z

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Get some of these stickers and stick them to each other with the cable in between āš”

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Guard Cable Upgrade? 1662123384181

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Get some of these stickers and stick them to each other with the cable in between āš”

1662123384181.png
Rivian R1T R1S Gear Guard Cable Upgrade? 1662124505277

@Wefty my Brother-in-law is a line electrician for the local electric utility. Heā€™s found whatā€™s left of people trying to steal live high voltage copper in substations.

not sure some orange wire loom will deter a thief. šŸ« 

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Those orange sleeves and the heat-shrinking sleeves look super cheap in my opinion. Like theyā€™ll make your bike seem less secure rather than more.

Iā€™d suggest something that looks like a PITA to cut, over something that is cheap and plastic.

The stickers make sense to me.

Axcelktm

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline. Have a order in for a Rivian
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My bike was stolen out of my truck, I had gear guard cable and another cable. The thief cut right through the cables. I thought the alarm would go on. but it does not. I talked to Rivian Guide about why wouldnā€™t alarm go off if the gear guard cable is cut, I think it they should do a software update. For this situation, It did film the thief. I was very lucky. I had an Apple tracker on my bike and the police got my bike back .

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My bike was stolen out of my truck, I had gear guard cable and another cable. The thief cut right through the cables. I thought the alarm would go on. but it does not. I talked to Rivian Guide about why wouldnā€™t alarm go off if the gear guard cable is cut, I think it they should do a software update. For this situation, It did film the thief. I was very lucky. I had an Apple tracker on my bike and the police got my bike back .
This was originally going to be a feature but I'm guessing it was technically infeasible. The hardware doesn't have anything to detect the cable being cut.

OP
OP
Wefty

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Sorry to hear about your bike.

I did put a high voltage sticker on the compressor cover above where the cables "plug" in. Before all the comments start up again about how easily cables can be cut my original point is only to make cutting the gear guard cable look like something new that the casual thief has not had to deal with before and leave my bike alone. Or at least slow them down long enough that I return to the R1T.

It would be nice if they sold the gear guard cable ends that would accept a proper chain.

It would also be nice to have specific alarm settings for when the cable is plugged in and the car is locked.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Having had 3 bikes stolen, one of which was off my Kuat bike rack, with cable lock, I've learned.

If I can't see my bike when away from it, it's not going to be there when I get back.

Rivian's system, while neat, only really provides a person video proof of the crime having been committed. Alarms even if they do go off, rarely stop determined thieves.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It would be nice if they sold the gear guard cable ends that would accept a proper chain.
I have quite a few different security chains, I'll play around and see if there are any that would fit and still allow the lock to close.

OP
OP
Wefty

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Rivian's system, while neat, only really provides a person video proof of the crime having been committed. Alarms even if they do go off, rarely stop determined thieves.
I'm not arguing with any of this but getting notifications as it is happening could help.
Sponsored