Sponsored

Front display screen -- sensors and camera view

Coconutorra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Hi guys,

I was watching a video when I noticed some interesting features on the front screen concerning sensors and camera view

As you can see on the first image there are lines on the sides of the vehicle, which can change color from yellow to red, apparently to indicate how close the car is to an objective. If it's so, it's great cause helps a lot in tiny streets etc.

The second image does show on the display the front view from a front camera. A part of the useful tools on the sides of the screen such as inclination grade etc, I don't really understand the purpose of the front camera.
I saw on land rovers different types of cameras, such as near the wheels so you can see any obstacle, but a front one is new to me.

What do you think?

Rivian R1T R1S Front display screen -- sensors and camera view Screenshot_2020-11-09-17-48-39-460_com.google.android.youtube

Rivian R1T R1S Front display screen -- sensors and camera view Screenshot_2020-11-09-17-49-11-574_com.google.android.youtube
Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
The second view is helpful when you are driving against sunlight and trust me, its sometimes very hard and in those scenarios it vill be very helpful to look st the screen. That's my thought though

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

My explorer limited has a front view camera. You can have it automatically pop up the image when parking in a spot etc to see how close you are to something. The lines on the side are pretty standard now for proximity when in parking spots, garages, etc with beeping tones. I hope they have the projected lines on the backup camera. As you turn the steering wheel it would so the path of the vehicle based on the steering along with the cross traffic alert etc. All the sensors are there for all this stuff and it is pretty standard on many SUVs these days so I would expect it all.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Would be super neat if there was an IR camera in the suite of sensors. Could be very handy for country roads at dusk/night time to avoid hitting wildlife. Will all the self-driving hardware, it would be pretty easy to do some simple image recognition on top of that too and have an alarm when deer/moose, etc were detected.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Would be super neat if there was an IR camera in the suite of sensors. Could be very handy for country roads at dusk/night time to avoid hitting wildlife. Will all the self-driving hardware, it would be pretty easy to do some simple image recognition on top of that too and have an alarm when deer/moose, etc were detected.
Maybe the Lidar will accomplish that.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There is. All these cameras have sensitivity in the NIR to the point that they put filters on them to prevent them responding. What you want, however, is medium/long wave IR response. The kind you get from the Fluke cameras that cost thousands of dollars, use selenium lenses etc. Get the idea?

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hi guys,

I was watching a video when I noticed some interesting features on the front screen concerning sensors and camera view

As you can see on the first image there are lines on the sides of the vehicle, which can change color from yellow to red, apparently to indicate how close the car is to an objective. If it's so, it's great cause helps a lot in tiny streets etc.

The second image does show on the display the front view from a front camera. A part of the useful tools on the sides of the screen such as inclination grade etc, I don't really understand the purpose of the front camera.
I saw on land rovers different types of cameras, such as near the wheels so you can see any obstacle, but a front one is new to me.

What do you think?

Screenshot_2020-11-09-17-48-39-460_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-09-17-49-11-574_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
I was hoping the screen with the color bars would be more similar to the Tesla's visualization screen IE: shows the RITs place relative to lane markers, proximity to other cars, path planning, etc. A red, yellow, green bar seems kinda bush league to me.

Hopefully the camera suite allows for a full 360, birds-eye view when parking, similar to new escalades. I can see the forward camera being helpful with trail applications, but I plan on seeing more tight parking spots than tough trails. Though hopefully not exclusively the former..

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Hey everyone. Does anyone know:
1. Will R1T have a 360 top-down camera view? I asked that question on Rivian chat, but representative wasn't sure. On the web page they mention 360 awareness but this sounds to me more like proximity sensors.

2. Do they have Blind Spot Detection system with warning lights in the mirrors. When I looked at some photos and videos it doesn't seem this is the case.

Last edited:

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can't speak to 360 view, but the Driver+ description covers the blindspot...

"Blind Spot Warning: Detects vehicles in your blind spots and warns you if you try to move into the lane while present. "

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
"Blind Spot Warning: Detects vehicles in your blind spots and warns you if you try to move into the lane while present. "
Thanks. I've seen that, but I'm wondering does it have warning lights in the mirrors like most vehicles or lacks those like for example Tesla.

EDIT:
According to other post on the forum the mirrors will have blind spot indicators and provide surround view cameras:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...formation-directly-from-rivian.827/post-14492
Sponsored

Last edited: