First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
Hi all, I am waiting (December-January) patiently for my R1T here in SW Florida Bonita Springs area. I have the $500 charger from Rivian on my order page and the 60amp breaker with the 6 gauge wire already installed. I noticed from FPL that they are installing Free of charge their own Level 2 charger and unlimited electricity (off peak) for $31 a month for pre wired or $38 per month for non pre wired.
I'm not an expert, but the way I see it this seems like an excellent deal. Please let me know how you guys see this.
Thank you for your help.
Rivian R1T R1S FPL Florida Power & Lighting Deal Screenshot_20220702-150634
Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So you have to pay $38 per month or $31 per month? And you get to charge all you want?Also does it matter if you have solar or not? I would go solar and you would really be banking.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
What's your electric rate and how many miles a month? That'll tell ya what to do. Seems expensive to me, but I only pay $0.13/kWh. That would equate to 300kWh for $39, which would get me just over 600mi. Two evs, deal. One EV, maybe. That's my 2cents.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think their rates around here are like 16c/kWh at best. I drive a lot and have put 6000+miles on my car in 5 month so much more appealing if you drive a lot. Miles are something to consider but you may also get hooked up yourself and forget about them if not worth the hassle. I also don’t see them having this forever, but who knows. Also if you combo with solar Can be a super win.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
What's your electric rate and how many miles a month? That'll tell ya what to do. Seems expensive to me, but I only pay $0.13/kWh. That would equate to 300kWh for $39, which would get me just over 600mi. Two evs, deal. One EV, maybe. That's my 2cents.
I just did the same math, but came to a different conclusion. I'm at $. 11/kWh,don't drive a ton (20 mile round trip commute plus errands and such; ~1000 mi. per month) and I was still over 720kWh last month. Only $81 or do, but way more than $31...

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Depends on rates and your personal circumstances. Do you plan on staying in that home for 10 years? They say 10 year program and it is tied to the house you register in. Early termination fee of almost 800 applies
What are the regular rates? Do they now differ if you sign up for this program?
you will have to do the math and factorother circumstances with the fine print

OP
OP
Bop

Bop

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
Here in SW Florida electric averages about
8c kwh. I'm retired, and drive below average about 800 miles per month.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So it looks like their is a clause saying something about charging in nonpeak times. That sounds very doable being retired and only driving 800 miles per month. It looks to save you $30 or so dollars per month. That being said I have a ChargePoint charger now and cannot wait to jump ship. They have limited my ability to change my charging rate and I have to call if I want to increase or decrease. The last call I made my rep wasn’t even understanding of how to apply the settings and was trying to tell me I was going over what my system could handle. I tried to tell him to do the math and he is wrong.

Anyway, I don’t know what charger they will give you and what it’s capabilities will be. It may not charge at the rates rivian could charge at. That might not matter. It might not be as easy to use and adjust as using your rivian app. I know I’m that situation I would choose the rivian charger.

OP
OP
Bop

Bop

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2020
Occupation
Retired
So it looks like their is a clause saying something about charging in nonpeak times. That sounds very doable being retired and only driving 800 miles per month. It looks to save you $30 or so dollars per month. That being said I have a ChargePoint charger now and cannot wait to jump ship. They have limited my ability to change my charging rate and I have to call if I want to increase or decrease. The last call I made my rep wasn’t even understanding of how to apply the settings and was trying to tell me I was going over what my system could handle. I tried to tell him to do the math and he is wrong.

Anyway, I don’t know what charger they will give you and what it’s capabilities will be. It may not charge at the rates rivian could charge at. That might not matter. It might not be as easy to use and adjust as using your rivian app. I know I’m that situation I would choose the rivian charger.
Thank you Steven, I'm pretty sure for the first 1000 kwh FLP charges around 7cents and after that 1000 they charge around 8 cents per kwh with my Plan the way it's set up now. FPL probably have different plans you just have to pick the right one for you.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

Totally lost on your math, pse provide an example. Mine is 800mi/month = 400kWh/month, 400kWh x 8cent/kWh = $32/month. So not sure where the $30 savings is. I think breakeven is about 800mi/month?

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Forgive me. I was calculating at 1mi/kWh, not 2. So as long as you stay true to 2 beak even yes, might not be sensible. FPL is for some reason 16c/KWh here as well. So either way you slice it potentially $60 ish. If you are at 8c that is great and probably wouldn’t be worth the hassle unless you take into account cost of install. But if everything is there it would be super easy to do it yourself. I would definitely look at your bill. Maybe they are charging less where you live. Our rates used to be at 10c until FPL made it 16c here in last 6 months or so.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wish I could get that deal. Wife has FUSC on hers, but we still do L2 at home a lot for her. As for me, we don't have a RAN anywhere so everything I do is L2 at home. No brainer for me.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

FPL has Time-of-Use rate which you can enroll in that charges you less per kWh during off peak hours and more during peak hours. You can call them to have them run the numbers to see if you'll benefit from this program. That's another option to weigh against their EV charging program.

I had my Rivian charger installed and didn't pull a permit, so FPL probably wouldn't be able to use the existing breaker and wiring, so it would be $38/m for them to install a new circuit with their charger.

I pay $0.11 a kWh for first 1000 kWh then $0.12 after.

I couldn't find on their EV charging program what is considered off-peak hours. Maybe it's the same as their Time-of-Use program? Depending on how much you drive and when you get home at night, you may not be able to fully charge before the peak hours kick in, so you have to factor that in as well.

I look at it as a pretty big commitment for 10 years (or paying an ETF if you cancel early or move) to save a couple bucks a month. I pay $450 a month for electric so saving $30 isn't noticable and not worth the hassle but for others it may be more substantial.
Sponsored