Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Fortunately Rivian has the financial backing of at least two corporate big whales, Amazon and T. Rowe Price.

The R1S and R1T are going to be the low volume flagship models for Rivian similar to how the Model S is for Tesla. As we know, all new orders after March 1st will be subject the new price increases that will decrease sales even more. The market for $90k BEV pickups is only so large.

Volume sales will follow with lower price point models that are not being revealed to the public yet. Their future vehicle portfolio is rumored to include a BEV Wrangler/ Bronco fighter and may be assembled at the future Georgia assembly plant.

I predict that the ā€œR2Tā€ compact SUV vehicle will be wildly successful and will put added pressure on Stellantis and Ford to release BEV versions of the Wrangled and Bronco models.

1C6297D3-93CC-41D1-8510-7B9AFD764AC1.jpeg
F0C457B9-F224-49A1-AFAB-60286EB206C1.jpeg
Jeep, for itā€™s part, has already said a BEV Wrangler is coming. I predict itā€™ll be on the next platform. I donā€™t think the current platform would do well with full electrification due to the size of the battery it will need. The Magneto concepts kinda show that.

Also of note, Magna recently showed off solid axles that have electric motors integrated into them. Jeep will want something like that for the Wrangler so they donā€™t have to use a transmission and transfer case as they do in the Magneto.

I donā€™t think Ford has officially said anything about the Bronco, but that SUV is based on the next gen Ranger platform which is being targeted for electrification.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
CNBC: Ford is selling 8 million shares of once high-flying EV maker Rivian, sources say.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/08/ford-is-selling-8-million-rivian-shares-sources-say.html

And the sellout has begun.
As mentioned in another thread, this is nothing and definitely a far cry from being considered a selling out. That's barely 0.08% of their owned shares. Were it something significant, I'd be concerned. But less than 1%? Pfft, not even worth dusting it off one's shoulder.

Sponsored

pmp6

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Cayman GTS, 2015 Forester, 2017 Sprinter
Ford has 108m shares, so theyā€™re selling 7.5% of their stake. The bigger question to me is who is the unidentified investor dumping a larger volume of shares at $26.xx.

As mentioned in another thread, this is nothing and definitely a far cry from being considered a selling out. That's barely 0.08% of their owned shares. Were it something significant, I'd be concerned. But less than 1%? Pfft, not even worth dusting it off one's shoulder.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Ford has 108m shares, so theyā€™re selling 7.5% of their stake. The bigger question to me is who is the unidentified investor dumping a larger volume of shares at $26.xx.

Yep. Corrected in the other thread as well. 7.8% is still nothing in the grand scheme of things considering it's Ford. If this was Amazon or Blackrock and they were selling 10% or greater, then I'll worry.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Ford is most certainly going to sell all of their shares. They just can't do it all at once because they would have to price it at $5. Selling ANY shares at all in this market environment tips their hand.
Unless you have some inside information that 100% accurately states this, I'm in the belief that Ford will not sell all their shares. Too many people have that doom 'n' gloom mentality. Ford wants to blame Rivian, but they know majority of their issue is 'Ford'. Unless something drastic happens, I see Rivan going down the same route Tesla did: stock-wise they performed dismally during the first few years, then went up. Ford is going to want a piece of that monetary pie.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Once they ended their development plans with Rivian, the writing was on the wall and they gave up their board representation pre-IPO. It makes no sense for Ford to maintain a strategic investment in a competing automobile company over which they have no control or synergistic relationship.

They will continue to sell off the Rivian stake (probably as quickly as the market will allow) and redeploy the funds toward Ford's own EV push.
Pardon, but I do not agree. Just because Ford ended the Lincoln collaboration (which was done before Ford even put any stake on Rivian's stocks), doesn't mean they didn't want a piece of that monetary action. Ford did profit off Rivian, it's just now Ford, Rivian, heck all of the stocks are taking a major hit across the face. I do think, it was wise of Ford to sell off some of their shares and still keep the remaining amount. They didn't do this when Tesla first appeared and (like many) regret it (despite knowing how badly Tesla did stock-wise during their first few years). I'll also restate: unless you know some heck of inside information, you're speculating (to be frank, so am I).

I do agree with you regarding Ford wanting to deploy funds towards their EV push, but Ford's issue isn't Rivian, it's Ford.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
According to the article https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/08/ford-is-selling-8-million-rivian-shares-sources-say.html,

Ford is selling 8m of its 102m shares. So thatā€™s not 0.08%, but closer to 8%.

Iā€™m going to predict theyā€™ll sell at least that much again in the next year or so and eventually fully divest.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
According to the article https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/08/ford-is-selling-8-million-rivian-shares-sources-say.html,

Ford is selling 8m of its 102m shares. So thatā€™s not 0.08%, but closer to 8%.

Iā€™m going to predict theyā€™ll sell at least that much again in the next year or so and eventually fully divest.
Already addressed this in both threads (read above) ;)

Btw, for those wondering. Despite Ford selling 7.8% of their shares, Rivian has still accumulated close to $17B (despite losing $1.5something billion). Black Rock, one of their main founders bought another $3B worth of shares, Capitol Research Global Investors another $2.5B. Soros' company (Soros Fund Management), despite me not liking the man, invested $2B into Rivian stock.

I still doubt Ford will get rid of all their shares, they're aware of how Tesla developed and do not want to miss out on that, but on the off chance they do, I will not be surprised at the look on Ford's face when they miss out on that pie again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
I guess the truth is Ford will do what Ford needs to do. The EV market is new for them and they have every intention to have as much success there as they do with their F150. One thing Ford doesn't have. People see a Rivian truck and they want one, even if they didn't want a truck. It looks dang good and it thinks outside the box. Reminds me of how people reacted to the Model S.