First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone believe Ford's intention was to crush Rivian. I'm new to the forum. Love the truck and have an order for the R1S. Just curious why Ford buys in, and now with the rollout of the E. F150 they might pull out.
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Anyone believe Ford's intention was to crush Rivian. I'm new to the forum. Love the truck and have an order for the R1S. Just curious why Ford buys in, and now with the rollout of the E. F150 they might pull out.
Did they say they are selling their shares?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think they just decided to go in a different direction. Probably wanted a simpler platform that would lower the vehicle cost and did not want to wait for the R2 series.

It does not matter to Rivian now, Ford already gave up their seat on the board. If Ford elects to sell their shares it does not impact Rivian’s day to day or cash positions. Only thing it might do is lower the stock price if they flood the market with the stock they have.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
As far as anyone has reported, they have no intention of pulling out. They definitely took a bath on their balance sheet due to unrecognized losses on their rivian shares but why would they sell now unless they know rivian will fold tomorrow?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
As far as anyone has reported, they have no intention of pulling out. They definitely took a bath on their balance sheet due to unrecognized losses on their rivian shares but why would they sell now unless they know rivian will fold tomorrow?
Ford has not really taken a bath.

They invested 1.4 billion, they hold 100 million shares that today is worth 3.2 billion. The money they reported as a loss was a paper loss based on the rise after IPO it was not real money, if they were to sell today they would have a profit.

OP
OP
First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
All true. If it was an investment. But could it be a means to do away with competition. Buy heavy, gain leverage and then you have control.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
They don't control even half as much as Amazon. Do you think Amazon is going to let Ford crush Rivian.

I think no....

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They don't control even half as much as Amazon. Do you think Amazon is going to let Ford crush Rivian.

I think no....
2022... the year Jeff became more likable than Elon, and in Amazon we trust to keep a smaller company going to provide competition to Tesla.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ultimately I think Ford and Rivian have somewhat different target demographics. There's more to the equation than "EV Pickup". I personally have no interest in the Lightning because it's not a ground up design. I don't need or want a longer bed, and I like having the adjustable suspension modes for different types of driving. I sort of wish Rivian had put a bigger AC inverter in the truck, but I can live with it, and would be rare for me to actually need more.

We'll see how the Lincoln SUV compares to the R1S.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Ford invested under a different CEO than Farley. They simply made a change in strategic direction. Right now, Ford wants to use their stock value to finance their new EV endeavors. As has been discussed before, Ford doens’t have to sell their stock. From a tax perspective, they would do better to just get financing that is backed by the stocks value (or potential value).

I think it will be years, if ever, before Ford divests itself from Rivian.

OP
OP
First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
2022... the year Jeff became more likable than Elon, and in Amazon we trust to keep a smaller company going to provide competition to Tesla.
Ahhhh....now that adds an interesting layer to the mix. Amazon motivated by hitting Tesla, possible. Ford motivated by...still don't see or trust that one.

OP
OP
First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer
Ford invested under a different CEO than Farley. They simply made a change in strategic direction. Right now, Ford wants to use their stock value to finance their new EV endeavors. As has been discussed before, Ford doens’t have to sell their stock. From a tax perspective, they would do better to just get financing that is backed by the stocks value (or potential value).

I think it will be years, if ever, before Ford divests itself from Rivian.
Really? Why would Ford want to invest in Rivian? I can't see it. Money, sure they can pull out of Rivian or not, doubt that is a difficult decision in terms of financing. But why are they in?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Ford decided, correctly, that they must match Rivian's core competencies. They can't "lean" on Rivian and not do all EV stuff in house.

Ford is clearly a direct competitor to Rivian. They will come out with an Explorer and Ranger EV equivalent as soon as they can. I believe Ford gave up their board seat when they understood that Rivian can't be a development partner.

I don't see any automaker, except possibly Tesla, coming out a suspension competitive with Rivian. As long as Rivian remains differentiated in desirable ways they should not have a problem selling out production.
Sponsored