Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sorry, not reading this whole thread - probably not going to add much of value given the number of comments already. I wouldn’t have gotten the quad motor if I had to pay post-March pricing. I actually did change my configuration to dual-motor + standard battery pack the day of. I don’t need this much power and the truck has way more capability than I’ll likely ever need, but I’m all in on the style, the tech and the size along with it being an EV, which was important to me.
Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Wanted to chime back in on this thread as I think it's fascinating the broad range of opinions (owners and wait-listers).

I drove my friends brand new Range Rover (p440 PHEV) which he paid $125k pre tax. It's a big old bus, well made & good driving feel, nice power train, all you ever need. Overall a very capable, luxurious vehicle. That said, we in my R1T and we both agreed that the cabin interiors were on par (I have FE interior), stereo just as good, driving position and comfort equally as good. We both agreed that the way the R1T drove was BETTER than the RR (i have 20" ATs on), even with the RR's rear wheel steering. I suspect the RR is good off-road but can't help thinking that the R1 has a wider usage off road, esp with my AT tires.

My point being ... a $70k R1T (after credit, before tax) or even a $93k R1 is in my view more than holding its own with a luxury RR retailing for way more. I accept that an R1S would be a better comp, and that for those here who have a strict upper $ budget this view is largely irrelevant anyway.

In summary, don't beat up too much on your R1 and think that the grass is always greener.

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
These responses are really interesting. I wonder if a bit of behavioral economics “anchoring” is a factor - pre-March preorder people are potentially more likely to anchor their perceived value of a Rivian at that price level. For others it is just an unwillingness to spend over a certain amount on any truck or SUV - a step too far.
MBA in finance, here. Not flexing, just hoping to give some weight behind my comment that ...

This is maybe the best thought-out and useful response I've seen on RivianForums.com.

Hadn't thought of anchoring but it definitely checks out.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RT 1
Occupation
Event producer
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
I would. I’ve had it for 7 months and love it. It’s a lot but not crazy compared to something comparable.

Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I think the R1 (S or T) is still very competitive at the new pricing when compared to other high end vehicles such as top of line Lightning or high end ICE vehicles such as G Wagon or Range Rover. That being said without the old pricing less fed tax credit and a state rebate I would probably not buy any vehicle in the $90 - $100K price range.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
I have an R1T and it's a hard no from me. Maybe if I lived somewhere with a milder climate but in New England with the range limited by the cold it just isn't worth that much. Frankly I don't know that it's worth the 77k I paid when the grand Cherokee 4xe is available at the same price. The Rivian is a good truck, don't get me wrong, but it's not as nice as is equally priced competitors.

Scozzt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy silverado
Occupation
Military
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
I've had my R1T for 5 mts and love it. The performance and suspension are awesome but I was grandfathered in to the old price. Now the income limits exclude me and I have an RIS pre-order that I will prob cancel. The truck/SUV u can buy compared to the new rivian pricing rivian is not worth the change to electric. It's a real bummer... Tom

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
Nope, I'm a little squishy on the current price I have given the issues and concern whether they will survive or not. The Tesla pricing doesn't improve their chances.

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
I have an R1T and it's a hard no from me. Maybe if I lived somewhere with a milder climate but in New England with the range limited by the cold it just isn't worth that much. Frankly I don't know that it's worth the 77k I paid when the grand Cherokee 4xe is available at the same price. The Rivian is a good truck, don't get me wrong, but it's not as nice as is equally priced competitors.
The Grand Cherokees are super nice. Some issues with there FOBs. Beware!

Sponsored

RobbO.29

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.conflictdisrupted.com
Vehicles
2022 R1T, Glacier White, 2023 Ford Bronco Raptor,
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Yes. Based on my experience with my R1T since September I rate her as the best value for the money of any car that I have driven, and I have driven too many. While these forums tend to be critical of Rivian, though there certainly are some valid issues, for a new company manufacturing a new product with new technologies and processes, my belief is that they've hit a home run.

I waited three years for the Rivian and it was well worth it. In fact, about six weeks after taking delivery I put in a reservation for an R1S or will be R2S?

The truck rides as comfortable as any car I've ever driven including Mercedes, BMW, and Cadillac, and with the benefit of a bed for hauling stuff as well as more storage than could be imagined (i.e, frunck, tunnel, under rear seats, and under the bed cover.)

I've driven the R1T around town and on a 1500 mile roundtrip through the mountains of NC. Acceleration is phenomenal, there is plenty of room so you can stretch out, and all of the creature comforts are available on an extra-large and easy to read and navigate touch-screen. My wife drives a Ford Mach-E GT and when cruising at 35 mph+ the wind noise in the Rivian is 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 of what it is in the Ford (I'm running the 20" all-terrain option).

Out the door (i.e., vehicle, options, tax, registration, etc.) I paid $86,000'ish.

Last point, while I was waiting for delivery I looked at the G-Wagen, Defender, Lightning, X5, Q7, Macan, and Cayenne. In each case the decision went to the Rivian.

May the road come up to meet you and the wind be forever at your back!

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
R1T owner who paid the increased MSRP. IMO, no, it is not worth the updated pricing. I am however buying the R1S at $77k. That's the right price.
You're right as long as they survive. I'm concerned that they may not, and being left an orphan. I had that happen with a computer that I purchased in the early 80s. Not good!

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
Absolutely not. I would have waited for the upcoming Cybertruck.

Rivian must have had a TON of R1T cancellations before they decided to reverse the price increase decision last year.
You did notice the stock price plunge that took place when they raised the price? That is why they backed up is my best guess. They had been playing up the stock price for their IPO and that raise hit their stock price like a hammer.

Chgroth

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Insurance Company Executive
Yes

Bunker Hill

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired Subsea Engineer
I took delivery of my R1S in September 2022 and have never enjoyed a vehicle more. I don't miss going to the gas station at all. I pay a bit more on my electric bill but overall I'm paying half what I was for gasoline on a per mile basis. It's quiet, comfortable, and sporty. I've taken it camping and enjoyed having the 120V outlets for my "stuff" to include a small microwave. I love coming home and plugging it in and not worrying about oil changes, getting gas, or anything else. And I love that my two grandsons can see their grandmother doing her part for climate change and the environment. Yes, I'm still using fossil fuel to charge it but when I get the home charge on solar then my transportation will be carbon Zero except for the manufacturer parts to build it.
And, Rivian service for those few learning curve issues is WONDERFUL. They are responsive, timely, knowledgable, and courteous. They don't talk down to me ever. AND, they don't pass the buck with endless transfers to someone else. AND, computer updates don't require a trip to the dealer. They just happen over my WiFi and the App. AND Rivian gives me advance notice that they are coming and what the changes are. AND they responded to customer needs: for example, the added a kneeling feature to make getting in/out of the R1T easier for us shorter folks. AND don't let Dodge Ram tell you they invented Pet Comfort. They did not. Rivian did.
Would I buy one again even it if cost a few thousand dollars more? ABSOLUTELY I WOULD.
Sponsored