Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

julian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When the price increase was announced, I seriously considered switching to a dual-motor Explore Large pack. I knew I'd need the large pack, but was willing to "give up" on the niceities for it, and even delay delivery, as painful as delayed delivery would be.

On the other side - I also had a preorder for an F-150 Lightning, and an XLT Extended Range was looking *VERY* price-competitive with Rivian's increased price.

Of course, Rivian reverted pricing, and Ford increased pricing significantly before my order slot came up. (My "best case" would have been a Lightning Pro Extended Range, but Ford won't sell that to individuals, and it has gone up by over $15,000, too.)

But if it were right now? I'd probably do a Rivian Dual+Large. Ford has increased their prices way too much.
Same boat. I had the F150 in my hands and it's a great truck. However, the price was around 90k with the dealer mark up and the lack of tax incentive. And then you see them squeezing you, right? They have a preferred installer for the whole house generator and that's like 3.5k and in the end I am paying a lot of middle men.
Even without knowing when my R1T was coming, I passed. I was paying for a lot of crap for basically an electric 50k truck (Lariat).
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Was in lowest setting and even with that, it’s easily 6-8” taller than the back of my 4Runner. My dogs could get in but just needed a running start and they were initially reluctant. They’re 50 lb and healthy, go running/ski touring with me… I’m almost offended at the implication blaming my dogs’ health for the idiotically high lift gate. Guess that’s #millennial for you.

Maybe this is operator error so please correct me if it is. Can you have the front HVAC on and both C pillar vents on without the 2nd row HVAC on? Can you turn on the”3rd row” HVAC while having rows 1/2 off? Finally, can the 2nd row adjust temperature/fan independent of the front row?
Your dog has bad ups. There, I said it.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Your dog has bad ups. There, I said it.
In the distribution of canine athleticism for 40-60 lb dogs, I’d say that my dogs are probably median to 75th percentile. When they were just entering adulthood, they were less cautious and would jump from heights that probably wouldn’t be good for any dog’s long term skeletal health. For my dogs, the “floor” of the gate is above their heads making them recalcitrant to jump in; probably would be easier as they got used to it but it’s still a 36” jump (33” in kneel). They took a look up on their hind legs and then were ok with jumping in with a running start kind of like in the OOS review of the R1S for dogs. Jumping in from standstill immediately adjacent to the gate, one of my dogs can manage but the other can’t.

Regardless, my overall point is that for me and my use case of trying to give my current and future dogs their best lives, I’d likely want to find something to make it easier on them to get in and out of the R1S and wish I didn’t have to, particularly because I have other intended uses for the hitch (skis, bikes). Additionally, the HVAC doesn’t seem set up to do a cargo area “dog mode” or have zones that make sense. For all of these reasons and getting back to the OPs question, I’m not sure that the R1S is worth it to me for the problem I’m trying to solve, even at the original MSRP.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I had issues with my ex's dog getting in and out of our Defender. I just bought a small ramp for him. Problem solved. Even easier in a T since you've got a gear tunnel to store it in if you'd like.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
My pre-price increase of $80K is what I feel the cars value is. Post price-increase it's ~$100K, which is too much.

At the end of the day it's a smaller'ish SUV, with a lot of quality/reliability problems, cheap/crappy glass, a terrible drivers assist system, that has to rely on junk public chargers when away from home, from a company that maybe has a 50% chance of being around in two years.

That is not worth six figures. If my pre-price increase reservation were to go away, I'd instantly cancel.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Only Rivian could answer whether people are paying full msrp to update from the R1T to the R1S for example. I assume the answer is a resounding "no" based on the March debacle and the way people post saying "ordered recently, just took delivery" while my two (!) pre-orders (for an R1T and R1S) are both languishing, waiting for Max Pack.
I think it's fraudulent of Rivian to promise a quad motor max pack at launch only to wait a couple of years then mumble "too hard" and make some vague plan to build a cheaper dual motor config and still not get serious about the max pack actual specs.
Rumor has it we hear about Max Pack in Feb. I'm doubting it will be worth the wait and it's being over-run by GM, Ford and RAM. For people not wanting hard core off-road, the China-based EVs will win their business.
Rivian needs to come up with:
  1. higher efficiency
  2. faster charging (800V or 1MV and 1MW)
  3. double the range
  4. V2X
  5. onboard power
  6. pass-thru mid-gate
  7. flat frunk
  8. multi-function tailgate (e.g. 180ÂŞ )
  9. working tonneau
  10. aftermarket bed cap
  11. winch
  12. rear-steer
  13. and support aftermarket accessories

… just as the baseline to compete with Ford, GM and RAM products in the full-size and mid-size categories.

For technology competitive expectations, Rivian needs to:
  1. go to a heat pump
  2. redesign electrics for production efficiency
  3. redesign plumbing
  4. go to a fully robotic production of the frame
  5. go to large castings
  6. reconfigure the R1T to be a pickup, not an SUV cabin
  7. deal with the body design issues*

… and do all that while ramping up production volume and resolving initial quality and "scratch n dent" logistics.

* the body design issues are things like vulnerable paint, the overhanging wing intrudes on bed space, single panel from tailgate to windshield is wildly expensive for minor fender benders, the latch obscuring the gear tunnel access, the gooseneck tailgate needs a rethink, the spare tire location needs a rethink, the air suspension is slow, the ride quality, tire performance and NVH are sub-standard.

All fixable and do-able, but what I see is Rivian is not pursuing those issues, it's moving on to the EDV and maybe in 2 years, there's an R2 with some of the things missing or wrong about the R1.

Personally, I'm please Rivian brought the R1 to market in early '22 after years of delays – it was a bold decision that saved the company from being just yet another EV maker with no product and an also-ran in the EV pickup segment. I'll drive my R1T till something much better comes along, which might be quite some time, but I don't expect it will ever be another Rivian unless they get serious about the Max Pack and the 20+ items I've noted above..

So, no, I don't think existing customers are lining up to pay $100K for an update to their $70K experience.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My pre-price increase of $80K is what I feel the cars value is. Post price-increase it's ~$100K, which is too much.

At the end of the day it's a smaller'ish SUV, with a lot of quality/reliability problems, cheap/crappy glass, a terrible drivers assist system, that has to rely on junk public chargers when away from home, from a company that maybe has a 50% chance of being around in two years.

That is not worth six figures. If my pre-price increase reservation were to go away, I'd instantly cancel.
If my assessment of the R1S I’m still waiting for ever evolves to yours, I wouldn’t buy it — even at pre-March 1, 2022 pricing.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
VERY VERY HAPPY with my R1T delivered 12-26-22
Came out of retirement to be able to afford the truck payments
Should have it paid for in a couple of years before I really retire
Wife is already wanting to sell her Tesla model 3 and order a R1S
If I can swing it I will definitely do it

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Drive Mode-> Sport

but I’m with you. Even better if it could be done through the app or a physical button
yes. We do this most of the time. But even Sport lowest isn’t as low as kneel. And it’s a few extra steps.

Kheires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X3M Comp, Travato 59K
Absolutely not.

At the end of the day I'm simply not comfortable paying nearly $100K for a vehicle.

I'm also not really that impressed with my Rivian R1T or the service of it.

Hopefully it will get better as time goes on, but I simply don't see it as a $100K value.

The other problem with a $100K vehicle is the resale values tend to drop quickly. Like lets say I traded my R1T in on a Audi E-Tron GT. I'm afraid that would be a bad move as the resale value would drop significantly in 3 years.

I'm better off holding onto the R1T until I find something else that fits what I want for around $75K. Maybe the Mecan EV or the smaller Rivian.
macan ev will probably have starting price of $80k, $100k+ once you option it out decently knowing porsche

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt

The lost of investor confidence would become a major concern of mine. I doubt I'd plunk down $$$ for a car/truck where the manufacturer has a real chance of going under.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Very happy with my R1T but would NOT pay $93K for one but that is personal threshold on how much money I would spend for any vehicle.

Reactions: Rad

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Just finished reading this entire thread. Wow! Very discouraging. Seems like ~50% of owners/pre-orders would buy another R1T or R1S at new pricing and 50`% wouldn't. Major reason for buying another–even at new price–is that there's no other EV that effectively competes (F150 lightning is too big and upper trims are too expensive, and no other large SUV EV currently exists).

Reasons for not buying again are lack of current tech and quality/manufacturing issues. Many are questioning why Rivian is re-inventing things that other manufacturers have figured out and owners are happy with (keyless entry, air suspension, HVAC vent adjustment, etc.) What does this mean for Rivian's longevity and customer loyalty?

I bought a Tesla Model S in 2014. Most Tesla forum posts were positive, despite Tesla having similar issues (Tesla fan-boys and plenty of others). And the model S was certainly NOT perfect.

In a year or two, there will be plenty of options from manufacturers who know how to assemble trucks and larger SUVs. I am worried about Rivian.
Sponsored