Florida Registration

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I just got an email saying they were mailing the docs for me to DIY the registration. No option given just “here’s the tracking number” but I’m pushing back at the moment because I’ve had annoying past experiences with the HSMV and dealers get special access that us civilians don’t get so I’m really not excited here.

Has anyone registered their own in Florida and if so how was the process? Mine is in an LLC which is a new extra process for me anyways.
Sponsored

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, GC 4xe, Taycan Turbo, 911 4 GTS
I prefer to self register, its not difficult or time consuming.

Make an appointment at your local tax collector office. You can walk in but you'll have a wait.
They will need to verify the VIN, if you don't bring the R1T, fill out this form and have a notary witness the VIN (Part 8 of the form). Bring proof of insurance. All FL titles are electronic. They will provide a paper title on the spot if you want one for $25 fee. I'd call them and ask what LLC documentation they require. You will also pay the state/county sales tax as part of registration.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

I've completed many vehicle title/registration - should take 15 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I prefer to self register, its not difficult or time consuming.

Make an appointment at your local tax collector office. You can walk in but you'll have a wait.
They will need to verify the VIN, if you don't bring the R1T, fill out this form and have a notary witness the VIN (Part 8 of the form). Bring proof of insurance. All FL titles are electronic. They will provide a paper title on the spot if you want one for $25 fee. I'd call them and ask what LLC documentation they require. You will also pay the state/county sales tax as part of registration.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

I've completed many vehicle title/registration - should take 15 minutes.
So you self registered your R1T and it took 15 minutes?

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, GC 4xe, Taycan Turbo, 911 4 GTS
I have not received my R1S yet, but have registered/titled dozens of vehicle in Florida. Its not really not difficult.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I have not received my R1S yet, but have registered/titled dozens of vehicle in Florida. Its not really not difficult.
I’ve used registered vehicles. Please post when your Rivian self registration is done in 15 minutes.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’ve used registered vehicles. Please post when your Rivian self registration is done in 15 minutes.
I spent less than 30 minutes total working with my Tax Collector's office to register mine.

I'm out of state so I completed their form online and attached my sales contract, they responded with a word doc listing everything I needed from Rivian and all the forms I needed to do, some already completed for me. I filled out the rest, wrote a check, and mailed it off. I got my plate a couple weeks later.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I spent less than 30 minutes total working with my Tax Collector's office to register mine.

I'm out of state so I completed their form online and attached my sales contract, they responded with a word doc listing everything I needed from Rivian and all the forms I needed to do, some already completed for me. I filled out the rest, wrote a check, and mailed it off. I got my plate a couple weeks later.
Thanks for the data point. Did your Rivian refund check equal what you paid out of pocket?

there is another thread of a guy in NC or TN where he had topay an addl $600 in fees

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for the data point. Did your Rivian refund check equal what you paid out of pocket?

there is another thread of a guy in NC or TN where he had topay an addl $600 in fees
It was far less. They were charging $400+, I paid like $150 for 6 months. FL will make you expire 31DEC because it's a heavy vehicle, and you can't do biennial registration.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T

What forms did you need from Rivian and was Rivian able to provide it without hassle? I'm trying to transfer my plate from a vehicle I sold (because Rivian low-balled the trade-in) and only have 30 days to do it. I have no faith Rivian will get the stuff submitted before that deadline is up.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What forms did you need from Rivian and was Rivian able to provide it without hassle? I'm trying to transfer my plate from a vehicle I sold (because Rivian low-balled the trade-in) and only have 30 days to do it. I have no faith Rivian will get the stuff submitted before that deadline is up.
Sales tax receipt (I paid Illinois sales tax bc I'm in WA), MCO, and bill of sale.

Yes, it was a hassle. Had to ask for them multiple times and my guide asked his manager for permission to escalate.

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Gentlemen, I'm sorry to ask again. I am automotive journalist. I write about cars. If any of you already own Rivian an hour away from Fort Lauderdale and you don't mind spending 30-40 minutes with me. Tell your impressions, a ride on the car, then I would be very grateful.
Would this be for autoreview.ru ?

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Related question. Why does Rivian refuse to register as a dealer in Florida? My understanding is that it’s not hard (unlike some other states). Even Lucid is a registered dealer in Florida.

This ties to the registration question as part of their current narrative is that it’s now “easier” for me to register than them because they aren’t a dealer. I still dispute this btw.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Rivian came through for me. They were able to transfer my plate from my car to my truck after initially telling me they couldn't. It took a few weeks but I got my registration today.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Rivian came through for me. They were able to transfer my plate from my car to my truck after initially telling me they couldn't. It took a few weeks but I got my registration today.
Good to hear. They already reserved me
A rental car for two weeks from now but hopefully I don’t need it.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
How long after delivery has Rivian taken to send the paperwork. Mine is supposedly on its way to FL right now but I have been reading more posts about extended delays on Rivian's end with registration.
Sponsored