First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
What you mean to say is that 6/2 cord is more flexible than 6/3. I think most people would agree with that. What will throw them is calling 6/2 cord 6-50 cord.
I am gonna walk back what I said, as I see that the 8 AWG wire is rated 40amp. Also I am not an electrician ... I wasn't able to cross out my posts, so deleted them and modified the original suggestion.

It would still work with Rivian and Tesla mobile "chargers" that limit to 32a.

Thanks for being persistent and getting the correct info out there.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That's for building wiring for much longer distances (measured in 100ft+).
No. It's for any application where EVSE are involved becuase, per code, EVSE is a continuous load even if it is on for only 10 minutes and, therfore, the circuit must be derated to 80%. Now you can argue that running EVSE from an extension cord is in itself a code violation (and it probably is) and that you never run it for more than half an hour or that you are smarter than the code making commttees but if you want to stay within the spirit of the code if not the letter then you need a 50A circuit to take 40A from an EVSE.

I didn't know there was such a thing a 6-50 6AWG extension cords.
Yes. As bigger fancier RV's with 240V appliances become more and more prevalent NEMA 14-50R power points have become more and more common in RV parks and 6/3 extension cords are available to connect them to the RV.

There are lots of extension cords designed for TT-30 of which there are still lots and EVSE only requires the 2 hots and earth/ground so, with adapters, you can use those with EVSE. Given the choice of plugging into a TT-30 or a 14-50 for charging it turns out there isn't really any choice at all. Now it is true that you have paid for that 3rd current carrying conductor which will not be used in charging and that makes the cord heavier and stiffer but if you wish to honor the code you need No. 6.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
wasn't able to cross out my posts, so deleted them and modified the original suggestion.
At the top of the reply window there is an S symbol that can be used to strike through text.

Thanks for being persistent and getting the correct info out there.
No problem.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
At the top of the reply window there is an S symbol that can be used to strike through text.
Landscape mode, not my day :( This is day 4 of COVID positive, will blame brain fog.

Screenshot_20220623-135432.png

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Landscape mode, not my day :( This is day 4 of COVID positive, will blame brain fog.
It's not there. On a computer it is right next to the underscore U.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
It's not there. On a computer it is right next to the underscore U.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Loved how we got off topic, but it is there if I move to landscape mode.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
I had never owned an EV and drove my truck from IL to OR w/ very few issues (and none of any consequence). I just used EA and a chargepoint. ABRP was great, didn't really use plug share all that much (only to find hotels, which was a mixed bag as one charger was ICEd and one was fine).

I was very nervous going into it, but realized that it's actually not a big deal at all. Of course my route had plenty of DCFC's on it, so YMMV (figuratively and actually)