First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have not used these auction sites. Is it normal to have this much activity with 6 days left? I would assume the interested parties would bid the last day.

Reactions: Rad

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

$115k + commission

C&B commission of 4.5% will max out on this one at $4500.

I think the top end is close. There are at least 3 Rivians on eBay at $130-150k, and thereā€™s a local one to me for sale at $115k on Craigslist. I donā€™t dispute there arenā€™t people willing to pay over $115k for one, but it seems like the supply is meeting, or even exceeding, demand.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I have not used these auction sites. Is it normal to have this much activity with 6 days left? I would assume the interested parties would bid the last day.
C&B is unique because they donā€™t boot people from their platform. Usually you get a few bottom feeders throwing out low entry bids the first day then few, if any, bids until 36 hours before the auction closes. Unique cars get more community action in general.

Other auto auction sites like eBay or BaT ban bidders that openly shill bid.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
C&B is unique because they donā€™t boot people from their platform. Usually you get a few bottom feeders throwing out low entry bids the first day then few, if any, bids until 36 hours before the auction closes. Unique cars get more community action in general.

Other auto auction sites like eBay or BaT ban bidders that openly shill bid.
I don't understand these complaints. How is it a shill bid if they are actually willing and able to buy the vehicle at that price? Just because it's a perceived low bid doesn't mean it's not a valid bid, and it certainly doesn't prevent anyone who's willing to bid more from doing so. The whole point of an auction site is that it goes to the highest bidder, regardless of how many lower bids/bidders there are.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
There's people stirring the pot for sure, even pumping the price you could say. Normally you might have some who throw a low bid out there in the beginning or just flag it so they can watch the auction. The serious bidding almost always happens in the last couple minutes. But these high profile EVs are drawing extra attention.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I don't understand these complaints. How is it a shill bid if they are actually willing and able to buy the vehicle at that price? Just because it's a perceived low bid doesn't mean it's not a valid bid, and it certainly doesn't prevent anyone who's willing to bid more from doing so. The whole point of an auction site is that it goes to the highest bidder, regardless of how many lower bids/bidders there are.
ā€œShill bidding is when someone bids on an item to artificially increase its price, desirability, or search standing.

Shill bidding can happen regardless of whether the bidder knows the seller.ā€

This person might genuinely be interested in buying this truck, but their bidding behavior would have led to a ban long ago on other auction sites. Looking at their bid history shows bids on 45 different auctions and 0 wins. They have active bids on 6 current auctions, 9 if you include ones that ended yesterday. There is no genuine intent to win even 2 of those auctions, let alone all 6 (or 9). Thatā€™s shill bidding.

Rivian R1T R1S First R1T on Cars & Bids...No Reserve 03BFF8BD-D316-4954-8878-843D45506D9A

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
ā€œShill bidding is when someone bids on an item to artificially increase its price, desirability, or search standing.

This person might genuinely be interested in buying this truck, but their bidding behavior would have led to a ban long ago on other auction sites. Looking at their bid history shows bids on 45 different auctions and 0 wins. They have active bids on 6 current auctions, 9 if you include ones that ended yesterday. There is no genuine intent to win even 2 of those auctions, let alone all 6 (or 9). Thatā€™s shill bidding.

03BFF8BD-D316-4954-8878-843D45506D9A.jpeg
I appreciate the explanation. Definitely makes sense in the context of someone trying to artificially drive up the price. However, the data point of bidding on a bunch of auctions and not winning any doesn't necessarily indicate that is the goal. They could just be trying to score a really good deal.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Agreed. If you don't want to sell below a certain price, use a reserve. Otherwise, what's wrong with someone bidding frequently and stopping at what you perceive as a "low" figure? There are lots of things that may be "worth it" to me at a bargain price but not worth it at MSRP (or above). They're not hurting anyone.

Sponsored

Jootunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S90, E63, GM6, GT4, Samurai

Surely you don't mean BaT. They ban for nothing. Those 45 different bids pale in comparison to people on BaT who have never been banned. BaT is the wild-wild west of auction sites.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Surely you don't mean BaT. They ban for nothing. Those 45 different bids pale in comparison to people on BaT who have never been banned. BaT is the wild-wild west of auction sites.
Exactly. Iā€™ve bid on both sites a lot and never won anything and havenā€™t bannedā€¦ sometimes they were joke ish bids to get it going and other times they were serious but idiots came in over paidā€¦ :)

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
<Looks at location>... Idaho

Here we go again...
And he just joined 10 days ago...

Selling to a private party at $115 is still better than $130 at auction... You don't have to pay the auction fees/ commission. So works out the same or better in the in the end.
Sponsored