Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
This line of thinking will bankrupt Rivian and ensure you never see your delivery. Like it or not, Rivian needs the masses. It needs to cater to more than just EV lovers as there are plenty of other ICE products that deliver the same experience as the R1T.

Elon said it best at the Plaid reveal.. EVs need to be the very best car.. period.. to sell. They can't do just one thing well which is why they set out to ensure the Plaid could check every box humanly possible because they need to make the best *car* to get people in the seats. Rivian needs this model, and while just cupholders alone isn't indicative of how well they will do.. its silly to say that just because it's a truck that it shouldn't be mainstream. The F150 has like 10+ cupholders. They know their buyers. Rivian will do well to learn as well.
How many cupholders does the Plaid have again?? It has four, exactly the number it should have. The entire European automotive industry has a blatant and fierce disdain for cupholders and those that use them, and they are doing just fine. They intentionally design the few they do provide to make them as hard to find and least functional as possible.

Rivian will not go bankrupt because their truck only has four cupholders. That's one for every occupant (there will rarely be five passengers like in any back seat except a work truck). There are numerous reasons they could go bankrupt, but I'm sure that is not one of them.

I beg to differ on Ford knowing their customers, as they misjudged the demand for the Lightning by a factor of 4-5x and it's going to cost them. I'd also like a diagram on where the F150 has 10+ cupholders to believe it. And the door pockets and under the seat don't count. I count perhaps 6, and that means at least one is unused at all times.
Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Or just buy the adapters you think you will use ?‍♂

The Supercharger network is so expansive I have only charged Level 2 at home and opportunity charging. And never with Level 1.

I've been driving EVs for over 10 years. I've had my fair share of hunting down a plug.
Tesla should provide them WITH the car. Once you sell it, the new owners will get it WITH the car too.
‘’easy peasy

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Tesla should provide them WITH the car. Once you sell it, the new owners will get it WITH the car too.
‘’easy peasy
Why focus on Tesla? No other EV I've owned even gave you the option to buy an adapter.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
You have to pay for supercharging? Bummer
Just like any EV charging... Our 2016 Model X had lifetime free supercharging. The 2020 Model Y has no such perks. I actually racked up 5000 miles worth of free supercharging credits through referrals, but could never take advantage of them with the X and the last of them expired just as we took delivery of the Y.

Looks like all the LE R1T/S and possibly more will get 1 year of free charging on the RAN chargers. Supposed to be other discounts with the continued subscription and such. I guess we'll have to see what the details are once Rivian actually reveals it all.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
That is kinda disturbing that they are delivering vehicles to customers without clear communication on this regard. It is understandable that range will drop but it is not cool if the car you already fully paid for, after a year, has less functionality unless you pay a protection money to GOD father. All of a sudden you find out that you really didn't buy the car, you just rented it.
I think you're only looking at it through the lens of your own perspective and needs. Almost by definition, everyone who has taken delivery has received all of the information they needed, and no one is being forcefully delivered a vehicle despite objections. I'm sure @Iwantatesla can affirm to this. So, what you probably mean is that you find it disturbing that people could spend $75k on a vehicle without knowing some of the details. Everyone is on a spectrum, with some I'm sure willing to take delivery without even a scant of detail beyond what they learned two years ago, because they've been all in from the beginning and nothing else matters. The other end are people that have several alternatives they need to decide between, or this would represent a bit of a stretch financially, so they obsessively want to avoid making a mistake and make the right decision.

If at some point Rivian starts seeing resistance from people delaying delivery due to a lack of information, then they'll have to address it. But until then, more information is just a nice to have, not a must have. And from a business standpoint, the longer you can keep competitors in the dark, the better. That's why I have no questions for them right now (I have questions, just not asking), because I'm on a need to know basis and I don't need to know yet. I also assume that many questions that don't have answers are because Rivian doesn't have the answers themselves, so it's pointless to ask.

I imagine for many buyers the Membership details are a footnote that is not important. It will be something charged to their cards after the first year and they'll forget about it. For the rest, they will have their day in court to demand answers to this and anything else before finalizing their purchase.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just like any EV charging... Our 2016 Model X had lifetime free supercharging. The 2020 Model Y has no such perks. I actually racked up 5000 miles worth of free supercharging credits through referrals, but could never take advantage of them with the X and the last of them expired just as we took delivery of the Y.

Looks like all the LE R1T/S and possibly more will get 1 year of free charging on the RAN chargers. Supposed to be other discounts with the continued subscription and such. I guess we'll have to see what the details are once Rivian actually reveals it all.
Have free lifetime supercharging with 2020 X Performance. A purchase sweetener, but what really counts is fast charger availability — give me some.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wow. No spare tire. A truck has no spare tire? Oh boy. Let the games begin.
I'm sure you already knew this and that you can purchase a full sized spare. I think you're just trying to find thing wrong that aren't actually issues.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I'm sure you already knew this and that you can purchase a full sized spare. I think you're just trying to find thing wrong that aren't actually issues.
I think he was being sarcastic. ;-)

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for joining us, @Iwantatesla ! You may have already noticed some native Luddites and other Riviots here, please be patient with us.

I'll broach the awkward question: what month/year did you pre-order? Are you strictly an unaffiliated pre-order holder, or are you an early investor or other such type?

Sponsored

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Tesla is the leader that’s why. My Model S came with all the adapters.

live long and proper

Like I said, so did my wife's Tesla, I don't even care if it came with my Model 3 because the leader doesn't need to equip needless items to increase cost.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Like I said, so did my wife's Tesla, I don't even care if it came with my Model 3 because the leader doesn't need to equip needless items to increase cost.
Yea. Not sure about your logic there.

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Yea. Not sure about your logic there.
Adapters may have been a must in 2013, not so much now with the increased availability of public chargers. So why include it if it decreases your gross margin and people won't use it.

Also, nothing in life is free. "Free supercharging" is paid for in the price of the car.
Sponsored