Finalizing Orders When?

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Now that we are about 4 months from start of delivery (if Rivian sticks to its June target) I think we should soon be seeing Rivian asking us to finalize our orders. Mine (6612) is probably a couple of months off, but those of you with low order numbers must be getting close. Anyone hearing anything yet?
Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Not even a slim chance I will finalize until after a test drive.
100% agreed on this. Not only do I want to see how it really drives and handles outside of what videos show us, I need to see what it feels like inside (I’m used to larger, full size truck interiors) and what the overall drive experience (to incorporate all technology functions) is as compared to my current truck.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
There are still a lot more questions than answers... While I am many more months behind since I am in the queue for an R1S I believe there are too many questions for both vehicles that need to be answered prior to any request for order finalization. Starting with:
1. Final vehicle configuration.
2. Service and Warranty
3. Finance and Insurance

These are just very broad strokes of areas that need much more clarity in advance of a purchase agreement.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
A typical car company will start building your configuration up to 2+ months before delivery. Therefore they have 2 months to give us info. They really better start talking soon or people will start getting annoyed more than they already are.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
A typical car company will start building your configuration up to 2+ months before delivery. Therefore they have 2 months to give us info. They really better start talking soon or people will start getting annoyed more than they already are.
That is kind of what I'm getting at - time is running out for these questions to be answered if they are going to begin delivery in June. Last year my Corvette order was finalized in the middle of February for a projected build in May - before COVID shut down the plant. This on a model that was already in production (albeit slow ramp up which had just begun in December) from a company that had launched hundreds of new models in the past, so they are very familiar with the launch process. I expect R1T ramp up to be relatively slow for the first couple of months. Presumably a company that has not launched a vehicle before will need more lead time to work out the processes of getting parts flowing from suppliers and tuning the assembly processes.

I want to drive the R1T and see the colors prior to order also (even though I did not for my Corvette), but depending on timing and location of test drives I may just have to waive that requirement. Unless Rivian starts offering test drives pretty soon, low order number holders may find themselves in that position...

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Rivian can wait until much closer to production for finalization because the build rate is starting small and the number of variations is also small. They are likely prepositioning needed supplies and could basically build with a day's notice. Once they reach volume production then optimizing supply chain timings begins to matter more as they won't want to keep as much supply readily available because of capital expense. But, the friction spot I'd think is the paint process which as I understand takes a little more time to switch colors and solvents than any of the other build processes.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Maybe we all just need to email CS next week and ask for

- details on the final production vehicle (epa range, charging speed, add-ons, etc.)
- warranty and financing details
- test drive information/plans
- confirm they are still starting deliveries in June 2021

CS won’t tell us anything, but maybe they will get the message that people need more information at this point

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Maybe we all just need to email CS next week and ask for

- details on the final production vehicle (epa range, charging speed, add-ons, etc.)
- warranty and financing details
- test drive information/plans
- confirm they are still starting deliveries in June 2021

CS won’t tell us anything, but maybe they will get the message that people need more information at this point

While it would be pretty funnny and clearly get a message across might overload their CS team as well haha.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Do real people actually answer Rivian emails? With the responses I've seen it may as well be an automated system, since they all basically amount to a form letter with no real information.

Sponsored

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I've been following Rivian for years rooting for them and waiting for this debut. I've been giving Rivian the benefit of the doubt because I like what they have stood for and what they have been doing so far but in all reality it's all just showmanship. If you had asked me a few months ago if I would have finalized the purchase without a test drive I would have said "absolutely". Unfortunately I am growing more concerned by the lack of real information from Rivian as others had mentioned (warranty, final range with all three tire options, actual photos of colors, etc.) so close to potential delivery. Don't get me wrong, the photos/videos of the preproduction trucks are awesome and enough to keep me excited about the future but if I am expected to spend $70k+ on something in the next few months I want to understand exactly what I am getting. There are far too many unknowns so close to delivery.

Unfortunately if Rivian doesn't start getting real information out soon I may need sit on the sidelines for another year or two and see who else is getting BEV trucks to market. There is going to be a lot of options in the next couple of years.

If you ask me if I would be willing to invest $70k+ into Rivian as a company, the answer is "yes, without a doubt" because I think they are ultimately going to be incredibly successful. There is always a concern with buying a first model year, let alone a first model year from a brand new company but that risk is growing more and more each day with the lack of real information.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I won’t finalize my order until I drive the truck, see the colors, know the actual range, know the prices of options (roof racks), see final build and several other things.

I have a LE, but I can wait, especially since I have barely driven my jeep in the last year.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Since Lucid, in theory, is suppose to start deliveries before Rivian, we should be able to get an estimate by when they start finalizing orders.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I have stated in other posts, but this is what I don't get. There have been 'leaks' for IPO, factory in Europe, Smaller vehicles for China. These have become THE news. I do not care about these topics. We need details on the Vehicles that we will be buying!!!!
Leak those details!!!