Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia (Future: R1T)
Occupation
Engineer
That's great news Ryan!
Are locations known at this point? If not is it safe to assume that they will be installed along the corridors outlined here?
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/e...ments/EVChargingOpportunityMap_DCFC_11.20.pdf
That's correct, we don't have specific locations yet but we established that corridor map to guide the location of chargers. We'll be working with local power companies along those corridors to identify ideal locations, sites, and hosts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianTennessee
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
EA has chargers with 2 connectors, one CCS and one ChAdeMo, and the CCS cable supports 150KW, while the other only supports 50KW. These chargers can only work with one vehicle at a time, this is also true for the existing EVGO and ChargePoint DFDCs which also have dual connectors. So TVA could install as many chargers as they want at a given site and support both connectors on everyone of them. It does not reduce the availability of the CCS chargers.

EA has taken a different approach and only has one ChAdeMo connector per site.
This all depends on the charging equipment manufacturer. In the grand scheme, adding a CHAdeMO cable to each charging station is not a huge expense and it may be easier for us to specify both plug types. For example, this Chargpoint unit includes both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs by default. You have to do a special order to *exclude* the CHAdeMO plug.

OP
OP
RivianTennessee
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
For sake of argument, let's say you were installing 10 chargers at each location. Couldn't you install one ChAdeMO charger and 9 CCS and then you're not ignoring existing owners, but you're also recognizing the future and fact that the money will be better spent on CCS?
@azbill summed it up well. Adding CHAdeMO plugs to each charger does not reduce CCS plugs. Many vendors include both plugs by default (for now). Some even allow simultaneous charging from both plugs.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback about East TN! In fact, during the announcement we specified our goal to allow people to drive EVs "from the banks of the Mississippi to Mountain City." East TN can be a bit spotty, but good news: there is a new 62.5 kW Chargepoint station along I-81 in Baileyton (Plugshare link) that should help you out. I think it was installed last fall. My hope it that we can expand that location to higher power (125 kW) and more chargers as part this program. Another is in the works in the Sevierville area. By summer/fall we should have a better idea of more locations beyond those. Stay tuned!
Thanks for the info, I'll have to remember this station during my next trip. Looking forward to hearing more about this endeavor.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Put one on pit row at Bristol and let us do a few laps after charging!
Sponsored