First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Powerwagon, Alfa Giulia Quad
Occupation
Yes
Just a quick review of the EVgo charger in Harmar PA .

Lots of good stuff about this charger.

It’s locate just off the PA turnpike
nice and brightly lit
It’s right off of route 28
Is located at a Sheetz convenience store(for those not familiar a pretty decent convenience store,decent food, always clean)
it has a nice grass size filled located behind it if you’re traveling with pups
It has a McDonald’s, Jersey Mike’s, and Starbucks, located to the left into the right. They’re probably half a dozen other restaurants within a five minute walk.

The bad:
They have four chargers two 350 and two 150. Last three times I’ve been there the 350 chargers won’t charge above 120.
Sponsored

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Nice! And there's a Starbucks next door (in case you don't want Sheetz Treatz) - an easy walk while you charge. We hit a Sheetz in Scranton (just off I-81) a couple months ago with a similar setup that worked well.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Too bad it's EVGo and literally not any other operator, my opinion. That said glad you are happy with the convenience and it does sound like a good location.

Not going to comment about the speed because there isn't enough information to know whether 120 would be expected. Will very much depend on SOC, battery temp, outside temp and if the charger is sharing power with other stations.

OP
OP
Duquesne

Duquesne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Powerwagon, Alfa Giulia Quad
Occupation
Yes
Funny because I’m driving back to Georgia And I stopped at an EA charger in a Walmart parking lot. There were three 350s and one 150. Two of tht 350s were occupied in the other was not operational. I plugged into the 150 thinking I’d wait until one of the 350s became vacant but the 150 literally charged at 150 the entire time.
Well done EA, well done

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Funny because I’m driving back to Georgia And I stopped at an EA charger in a Walmart parking lot. There were three 350s and one 150. Two of tht 350s were occupied in the other was not operational. I plugged into the 150 thinking I’d wait until one of the 350s became vacant but the 150 literally charged at 150 the entire time.
Well done EA, well done
Just in case you didn't know it has been shown that the difference in charging speeds between a EA 150 and EA 350 on a Rivian is negligible. Reason being is that yes the 350s do ramp up over 200kW but they also ramp down more quickly.

In the case of a quick charge you might see some benefit but if charging up to 70% or more probably not. Definitely not worth leaving a working charge session at a 150 to move.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Just in case you didn't know it has been shown that the difference in charging speeds between a EA 150 and EA 350 on a Rivian is negligible. Reason being is that yes the 350s do ramp up over 200kW but they also ramp down more quickly.
AND because the EA 150kW chargers actually deliver more like 165kW peak.

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
Too bad it's EVGo and literally not any other operator, my opinion. That said glad you are happy with the convenience and it does sound like a good location.

Not going to comment about the speed because there isn't enough information to know whether 120 would be expected. Will very much depend on SOC, battery temp, outside temp and if the charger is sharing power with other stations.
I agree - EVgo is deceptive and while the session may have been good the one time I tried them as part of branching out during a trip where I had lots of options and flexibility I was blown away by not only their horrible session fees (they double dipped during my trial when their unit interrupted the session - mine about 1 minute after the adjacent EV on the same dispenser was interrupted) and their extremely high rates. Excluding the 2 charging session fees they applied I averaged $1.22/kW which was more than 2x even EA’s rate not paying their Pass+ fee. The worst part is that as soon as the first session was interrupted within 10min of plugging in it quickly flashed the results of it and I didn’t get a chance to notice the $3 session fee nor the amount of that session. All I could tell is the $50 pre-authorization they had placed on my card. So I restarted a second session. If I’d known I would have driven across the highway to EA.
Sponsored