DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hitting the trails in mine first thing. Start easy with Red Canyon Jeep Trail to Bradshaw Trail to check out the Eagle Mountain Railroad Bridge before it gets taken down. Then do some of the trails in Joshua Tree NP.

Have a big trip in May in Southern Utah, should be a good test of range and capability. ?
Anthony, That sounds like a great start to life with your Rivian. Speaking of new beginnings, welcome to the Forum!

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Recruiter
Anthony, That sounds like a great start to life with your Rivian. Speaking of new beginnings, welcome to the Forum!
Thanks, long time lurker but finally decided to officially join!

Can't wait for us to get contacted by our Guides so we can get more details of whats to come. Thinking of all the adventures I can't wait to have with the R1T!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks, long time lurker but finally decided to officially join!

Can't wait for us to get contacted by our Guides so we can get more details of whats to come. Thinking of all the adventures I can't wait to have with the R1T!
You're in great company! It's certainly been the strangest and longest two and a half years that I can recall, but we're getting close now! Again, welcome aboard!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

azbill said:
I use Smith & Wesson at home
I use a Katana. It's quieter and "greener". :rock:
I prefer long jokes and bad puns. Eventually, they all just give up and walk away, shaking their head and groaning painfully. ?

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
ICE cars typically have break in requirements for the breaks and engine. Never having an EV before is there similar requirements on a EV?
Most ICE break in periods are ostensibly about flushing out various bits of detritus from manufacturing with the first oil change. EVs donā€™t have any fluid service intervals below 100k or so miles, so thereā€™s really no equivalent. But, driving/charging at the edge of performance will shorten component life any way you slice it.

You should probably not have your first drive be to Canyonlands with no backup in case you find out your rig has some issues or they forgot to tighten the lug nuts to spec or something, but otherwise there shouldnā€™t be anything particularly special about the first drive versus 50k in.

(Break in periods on a modern ICE are mostly manufacturer CYA anyway.)

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Most ICE break in periods are ostensibly about flushing out various bits of detritus from manufacturing with the first oil change. EVs donā€™t have any fluid service intervals below 100k or so miles, so thereā€™s really no equivalent. But, driving/charging at the edge of performance will shorten component life any way you slice it.

You should probably not have your first drive be to Canyonlands with no backup in case you find out your rig has some issues or they forgot to tighten the lug nuts to spec or something, but otherwise there shouldnā€™t be anything particularly special about the first drive versus 50k in.

(Break in periods on a modern ICE are mostly manufacturer CYA anyway.)
The last statement is correct. Current manufacturing processes are so precise that break in periods are nothing but CYA. Most vehicles now go up to 10K for first oil change, if the debris were an issue, they would recommend a shorter mileage for your first oil change.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read an owners manual BEFORE I take delivery
I get the Dad what are you doing Eyeroll as I read the manual of our new cars from the wife and kids. These are the same people who exclaim incredulously, "How did you know how to fix that?"

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Most vehicles now go up to 10K for first oil change, if the debris were an issue, they would recommend a shorter mileage for your first oil change.
I ā€˜m not sure about the C8 Corvette, but i know our two C7s had their first oil change at 500 miles. This makes it that much easier to buy in San Francisco and take Pacific Coast Highway south. It got us home right at 500 miles and had the oil changed within a week of purchase. Did this twice and will do it again with the next one too.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I get the Dad what are you doing Eyeroll as I read the manual of our new cars from the wife and kids. These are the same people who exclaim incredulously, "How did you know how to fix that?"
Haha, this really "hits home" for me!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When was the last time a car manual actually instructed the owner how to fix something?

Seems like they explain how to use things but otherwise say see your authorized dealer for anything that isn't 1.2.3.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
When was the last time a car manual actually instructed the owner how to fix something?
It's not necessarily "how to fix it" instructions, but if you understand components & how they work (sometimes together), you can often troubleshoot and resolve issues.

I also took this as a more general statement, not specific to vehicle owners manuals.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
ICE cars typically have break in requirements for the breaks and engine. Never having an EV before is there similar requirements on a EV?
I have a Kia Niro EV; don't recall any break in instructions.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I ā€˜m not sure about the C8 Corvette, but i know our two C7s had their first oil change at 500 miles. This makes it that much easier to buy in San Francisco and take Pacific Coast Highway south. It got us home right at 500 miles and had the oil changed within a week of purchase. Did this twice and will do it again with the next one too.
Recommended first oil change on the C8 is at 7500 miles. Since I took delivery in early October and it hibernated over the Michigan winter, I will probably not get to 7500 before late summer. So in my situation it will be closing in on one year before mv C8 gets its first oil change - the first one is free.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

Seems like they explain how to use things but otherwise say see your authorized dealer for anything that isn't 1.2.3.
Infotainment, where is the spare, is there a spare, the seat got dislodged how is it supposed to be removed, camera settings, where the hell is the remote gas cap release, how do I reset the tire pressure warning, how do I setup the intercom assist for the third row, which usb ports in the van are linked to infotainment for CARPLAY....
Sponsored