George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Corvette, 2019 Toyota Tundra, 2019 Toyota Tacoma, 2002 Ford Thunderbird
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

ICE cars typically have break in requirements for the breaks and engine. Never having an EV before is there similar requirements on a EV?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I always just drive it normally, straight off the lot -- even for ICE vehicles.

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
Drive it like you stole it :rock:

That being said, I wouldn't plan a long trip right after I get it, as small issues may arise early on.

Example: I went on a one week trip from the dealership and had a squeaking steering wheel and door handle. I couldn't think of anything but that during my trip even if it was going to be an easy fix.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Personally, I'll probably take it somewhat easy on it at first, with a mix of city & highway driving. Our Rivians will have gearboxes front & rear, and it is recommended to break in gears...at least in my experience with ICE vehicles & differentials.

There's a good chance that you wouldn't hurt anything, but I'll err on the side of caution.

Sponsored

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
ICE cars typically have break in requirements for the breaks and engine. Never having an EV before is there similar requirements on a EV?
I think the break-in period probably applies more to the driver than the car. When I got my Tesla Model X (normal, not Performance) I wasnt ready for the instant torque. It takes some getting used to.

If you pull off the lot and say "lets see what this baby can do", get ready for a large hospital bill because that beast WILL get away from you.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As with any vehicle, break in procedure is whatever the manufacturer specifies so be sure to read the owner's manual after taking delivery.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I think the break-in period probably applies more to the driver than the car.
I can agree to this wholeheartedly. When my wife and I drove our Model X off the lot and home we had to go through rush hour traffic. This was the most expensive car we'd ever owned by a massive margin so the experience of being bumper to bumper and cars weaving around you was terrifying. It just took a while to get used to driving an expensive car.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
ICE cars typically have break in requirements for the breaks and engine.
I’m really hoping my brand new R1T has absolutely no breaks...

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’ve read that the cameras, security system and “gear guard” will combine to alleviate break ins. ?

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I want to know what 0 to 60 in 3 seconds feels like on the first drive. I will blast the Star Wars theme song on those fancy speakers as I'm punching it from the on-ramp, hopefully close enough to rush hour to get the wait for green light so I can launch from 0.

Unless my wife's there, of course. Then maybe the 2nd drive. When I'm going out to "pick up some McDondald's breakfast" for two hours.

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Recruiter
Hitting the trails in mine first thing. Start easy with Red Canyon Jeep Trail to Bradshaw Trail to check out the Eagle Mountain Railroad Bridge before it gets taken down. Then do some of the trails in Joshua Tree NP.

Have a big trip in May in Southern Utah, should be a good test of range and capability. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Personally, I'll probably take it somewhat easy on it at first, with a mix of city & highway driving. Our Rivians will have gearboxes front & rear, and it is recommended to break in gears...at least in my experience with ICE vehicles & differentials.

There's a good chance that you wouldn't hurt anything, but I'll err on the side of caution.
I feel the same way, but still want to pick it up in Normal and drive home to Oregon. I do have friends within a few hours to the East that I'd like to visit, as well as letting ja_kub_sz go for a test drive, if the cards line up.

That means the first several hundred miles would be close to the Mothership, as I'd pass Normal on my way home from Indiana. I always feel it's best to have at least a bit of a trial run before going too far.

I think the Old Dog in my head will still force me to avoid Beyond-Ludicrous Mode for the first several hundred miles. That is, unless the Lizard Brain takes over.....

Since March Madness is already trademarked, we'll call this the Final Four of "June Jubilation".

Semis: ? vs. ? / ? vs. ?

Final (TBD): _?_ VS. _?_

Stay tuned.....

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

As with any vehicle, break in procedure is whatever the manufacturer specifies so be sure to read the owner's manual after taking delivery.
I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read an owners manual BEFORE I take delivery
Sponsored