mtw777

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
Hello All,

In the spirit of generating a bit of discussion in the Canadian sub-forum, I wanted to put this question out to everyone:

I'm currently residing in Edmonton and, like all of you, I'm very interested in the Rivian products. Also, like many of you (especially those in Alberta), I'm often finding myself heading towards the Rockies and beyond.

I'm very curious about the practical "real world" range of the R1T when it comes to making the trip from Edmonton to Calgary specifically. "City to City", according to Google Maps, is 300 km, so let's assume that's the general target range. In actuality, it'd likely be a bit less since I live on the south side of E-town, and only need to make it to the north side of Calgary to find a charger.

But that brings the main question: Will an R1T with a "Large" battery even have enough range to make that 300 km trip reliably? I've used A Better Route Planner and it shows me arriving at the Petro Canada charger near CrossIron Mills with roughly 10% remaining. I don't know about all of you, and I'm not sure how conservative ABRP is, but that seems like it's cutting it awful close.

The full 315 mile range (500-ish kilometres) gets cut down to 400 km when you cut down on the upper and lower 10% portions of the battery (to prevent premature degradation I think?). Take away another 15% with AT wheels and tires and you're now down to 340 km... Cold weather is another knock on this... Things are getting pretty tight, really quickly.

So, simply put, is there any chance I could make the first leg of the trip to the mountains from Edmonton to Calgary without having to stop somewhere (Red Deer?) to charge a bit, or is this just wishful thinking?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hello All,

In the spirit of generating a bit of discussion in the Canadian sub-forum, I wanted to put this question out to everyone:

I'm currently residing in Edmonton and, like all of you, I'm very interested in the Rivian products. Also, like many of you (especially those in Alberta), I'm often finding myself heading towards the Rockies and beyond.

I'm very curious about the practical "real world" range of the R1T when it comes to making the trip from Edmonton to Calgary specifically. "City to City", according to Google Maps, is 300 km, so let's assume that's the general target range. In actuality, it'd likely be a bit less since I live on the south side of E-town, and only need to make it to the north side of Calgary to find a charger.

But that brings the main question: Will an R1T with a "Large" battery even have enough range to make that 300 km trip reliably? I've used A Better Route Planner and it shows me arriving at the Petro Canada charger near CrossIron Mills with roughly 10% remaining. I don't know about all of you, and I'm not sure how conservative ABRP is, but that seems like it's cutting it awful close.

The full 315 mile range (500-ish kilometres) gets cut down to 400 km when you cut down on the upper and lower 10% portions of the battery (to prevent premature degradation I think?). Take away another 15% with AT wheels and tires and you're now down to 340 km... Cold weather is another knock on this... Things are getting pretty tight, really quickly.

So, simply put, is there any chance I could make the first leg of the trip to the mountains from Edmonton to Calgary without having to stop somewhere (Red Deer?) to charge a bit, or is this just wishful thinking?
I’m Going with the larger battery for these reasons. I think it could be done without the extra charge but it would not always work out that way, depending on conditions

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I lost 40-45% range in winter doing this route with my previous Model 3 w/o heat pump and about 37-40% in my current Model Y Performance with the heat pump. Stopping in Red Deer or Cross Iron for a top-up is pretty much a given. I imagine the Rivian w/o having a heat pump will be the same. You could probably squeeze more range if you turned off the cabin heaters and only used the seat heaters, but then you'd have to deal with condensation on the windows.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There is no application in the winter, AFAIK the Rivian heat pump is not bidirectional.
Sponsored