First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
The wife has an hour commute and she has a job where she gets lots of texts and they require quick decisions to be made, in the Tesla it was very easy and worked about 99 percent of the time.
She will just have to deal with it haha
Congrats on the new ride! I made the same switch as you guys! Try using Siri for hands free texting. That’s what I do
Sponsored

JuanValdez

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - LA Silver on order... delivery Oct-Dec '23
Personally I don't see the need to text while driving. It can wait until I get to where I'm going or if it can't they can call me. Texting is for messages that do not require immediate urgency.
To each his/her own.

Texting from car is handy for a quick reply and not have to touch phone. Ford or Carplay in the Mach-E does it well, I can reply to an incoming text, sometimes something really simple as "I'm on my way to ..." following a request from spouse to confirm who's picking up which of our children for example.

It can be at a red light or on the highway, easier than pulling over somewhere, digging phone out of of jacket and replying manually.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
We got out of our Tesla and jumped into a Rivian.

Rivian is very vey nice, we drove a Porsche Taycan, Hyundia 6, Mach E but nothing was like the Tesla/Rivian tech they were like "normal" cars.

After we got home we were like, there must be some way to get text messages and after searching we were like really??? Nothing???? That may have been a deal breaker if we had known that, the Tesla does it so well!

The next one is, opening the charging door, the Tesla you click on the charger and it just opens.....maybe the Rivian will too but haven't dug into that just yet.

Funny though, we went to dinner and could see it parked, and people just flocked to it! It was funny to watch.

We haven't had much time to dig into the truck yet, but so far we are impressed.

Tesla was a great car, but man they are everywhere you look now!

Anyways, looking forward to spending time in here learning about the truck.

PXL_20230708_231838148-2.jpg
Same build as mine and similar story. Dumped a 2020 model 3 for 2023 R1T. Ain't going back!

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I have owned a Model 3 for 2 years, and my R1T for 6 months now, I definitely think the 2021 Model 3 (before Tesla Vision, still had radars) was the best car I've owned overall, but the R1T is just a different class of vehicle. It's seriously best combination of practical, fun and luxurious and just makes so much sense. I love how much most things have improved in the 6 months I've had it, I know in 2 years it will be a much more polished vehicle. I'll probably be selling my Telsa as soon as prices stabilize, I'm confident in my Rivian now.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yeah figured that out, how can they not? Kinda crazy
Keep this in mind... Over 132 months since Tesla launched their first mass production product (Model S). Only 18 months since Rivian launched R1T production. Teslas did not become what they are now overnight.

Both of these official guides contain useful info:

Speaking of useful info...

Speaking of software development, a tracker of all OTAs since January '22: https://riviantracker.io/

Last edited:

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sounds like her job can call her or let her concentrate on her drive so she makes it into work safely for that hour commute. If she's important enough that they need to get a hold of her I'm sure they don't want her getting into an accident because of a text message.
I have to echo this. I'm not aware of any car currently on the market that is fully autonomous and supports that level of interactivity. Not trying to lecture OP. Just sharing what I believe to be added safety with all the crazy drivers out there post covid. Congrats on the R1. Enjoy in good health.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Yeah figured that out, how can they not? Kinda crazy
Tesla didn't have text message support until quite recently. And it is still very limited (for example, it can not respond to group texts).

Rivian not having a feature on day one that took Tesla 7 years to implement does not seem all that crazy to me.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

The wife has an hour commute and she has a job where she gets lots of texts and they require quick decisions to be made, in the Tesla it was very easy and worked about 99 percent of the time.
She will just have to deal with it haha
If you have an Iphone, you can just use siri, at least to respond to a text. That is what I do. it works well, and even reads back the text to me.

OP
OP
Nametaken

Nametaken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, R1T, Vanderhall, Frontier
I have to echo this. I'm not aware of any car currently on the market that is fully autonomous and supports that level of interactivity. Not trying to lecture OP. Just sharing what I believe to be added safety with all the crazy drivers out there post covid. Congrats on the R1. Enjoy in good health.
In all honesty, as far as the Tesla goes unless you have used it, it was very useful and effective. You just push on the steering wheel button it reads it, and you reply no distractions at all ,really no different then having a conversation with a passenger it was very very effective and done very well.
People say "it's a distraction etc etc" but let's face it, it's here and it's not going anywhere so, the best we can do is handle it the best we can. Not having a solution for it is really the safety issue, we can put it aside and ignore it now that we have too.....but take a look around while you drive, most can not! Tesla nailed that feature without arguing about that, again not crying just saying! Rivian is awesome so far

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Congrats on the new ride. I made the same switch and loved my model 3 and was sad to see it go, but love the R1T and am happy with the decision now (especially after camping, bike, and beach trips).
Voice texting is one of the things I miss the most. It was super useful for quick messages, especially where and when to pick kids up after school, etc. Or just hear responses to my questions that will impact where I have to be and when, while driving. Is it life changing? No. But it was a nice convenience.
Agreed with other poster on the Tesla tech advantage. The phone as key is another minor annoyance that I would not notice had I not had the Tesla first. Tesla's just worked better. I am sure Rivian's tech will continue to improve and I am happy to be patient as it is a great truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Disagree. It’s never just one text, the pressing buttons to set up the reply, the voice thing either mispronouncing the incoming text and the voice thing not writing your reply correctly are all issues not present with a phone call.

There’s never been a car or a phone for that matter to date that’s approached the level of efficiency that a simple phone call can. Text to speech is crap comparatively.

OP
OP
Nametaken

Nametaken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, R1T, Vanderhall, Frontier
He's never used a Tesla I'm guessing, because they are spot on with that function!
Sponsored