Sponsored

Driver+

First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
Posted this on another thread which got buried.. Did a search and did not see too many threads on Driver +, and level of diver assist.

I am a LE R1S holder, but also holding out on MY iterations post 100XXX VIN to realize some quality improvements and potential rumored iterations.

Family of 4 (4 and 2 year old), potential for more....

My decision will likely come down to Tesla's Autopoi

I would like to know more than what is found on the website:

"With Driver+ engaged, your vehicle will automatically steer, adjust speed, and change lanes on your command. Driver+, like all driver assistance systems, requires your full attention on the road. You should not use a hand-held device behind the wheel."

Seems like this is limited release at launch? And equates very closely to Tesla's base Autopilot - "Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

While Driver+ is not selling anything similar to Tesla's Full Self Driving, I do like this from the website " Through over-the-air updates, we’ll add more over time at no cost to you.", so perhaps there will be future FSD like enhancements at no additional cost? (or is this too good to be true)
Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I think they can get close to Tesla FSD on a highway over time. Right now, it does not appear there will be auto lane changes (maybe driver initiated changes) and navigating exits and ramps may not be included.

There’s no way they will be anywhere close to FSD on city streets and non highway settings. They don’t have the fleet and data gathering ability of Tesla. The FSD beta looks very impressive.

A MY will be tight with three car seats. It’s doable with Dionos or narrow seats. You may have an issue when one child is in a booster and you still have 2 car seats. The buckle design is such that the car seats cover the buckles.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
There is a lot more info on the website than what you've got there. They have said in the past that level 3 hardware would be included, and software updates would follow, and it is implied to be free, but I wouldn't make a buying decision based on that.

I think the reason there isn't much conversation about it is because the website is pretty descriptive about what is included, and nobody has any information beyond what is on the website, so all we can do is speculate.

Personally, the model Y and R1S are so different, I couldn't imagine making a decision between the two based on self-driving features.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I hope they have access to all the data from the Amazon delivery vehicles. Great way to gather data about roads all day every day. Amazon vehicles do travel the surface streets so mapping them would be easy. They could, in theory, put more advanced sensors on commercial delivery vehicles, some of which may not be totally aesthetically pleasing nor cost effective on a consumer vehicle. These sensors could yield high quality data needed for An L3 system.

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
I've got to imagine that's part of the deal with Amazon. It would benefit both parties.

Tesla has billions of miles of data and over a million cars on the road to build out their self driving capabilities. I think given advances in technology and AI, it won't take Rivian as long as Tesla to roll out more capable software than the glorified cruise control they will likely start out with. But at delivery day, my expectation is that Rivian will have adaptive cruise control on the highway that keeps you in your lane, potentially being able to take our hands off the wheel in certain sections of highway. I would guess true level 3 driving from Rivian is around 3 years out, and I would love for it to be sooner.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The Amazon partnership is huge here. I was told that Amazon has a "vested interest" in Rivian's autonomous driving capabilities.

Amazon acquired Zoox & invested in Aurora, who recently acquired Uber's self driving unit. This leads me to believe that there is already A LOT of data & development at Rivian's disposal.

I think we're in good shape with Rivian's AD capabilities moving forward.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
This article tells about the plans Rivian has for the equivalent capabilities as FSD. 'Guardian Mode. There will be finer grain differences certainly between the two. With the software first architecture that Rivian has, I am expecting Rivian's implementation of L2 to be at par with Tesla.

Definitely one of my main points in my test drive checklist (waiting patiently like all of us).

I think L3 will come later and could be at an additional cost. Hopefully no nickel and diming.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/23/driv...s-keep-em-inside-text-you-if-things-go-wrong/

Last edited:

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I must be in the minority but I really don't want a 100% self driving vehicle. By the time self driving vehicles are wide spread I might use one from a service for special occasions but I like driving! ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I must be in the minority but I really don't want a 100% self driving vehicle. By the time self driving vehicles are wide spread I might use one from a service for special occasions but I like driving! ?
You (we) may be in the minority but you are not alone. I have zero interest in self driving vehicles for myself (can't remember the last time I even used cruise control). I am, however, excited for a future with full Level 5 autonomy as it will enable my visually impaired wife to go and do things without requiring someone else (me, Uber, etc) to drive her. Unfortunately that future is still a very long ways away.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I love driving as well, and have a Miata which I track frequently for the full driving experience. But, on long road trips and in heavy traffic, FSD in my Tesla makes getting from point a to b a lot more relaxing and less stressful.

I don't expect Driver + to be nearly as good as Tesla's FSD at launch, but it will be nice to have nonetheless.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

There is a lot more info on the website than what you've got there. They have said in the past that level 3 hardware would be included, and software updates would follow, and it is implied to be free, but I wouldn't make a buying decision based on that.

I think the reason there isn't much conversation about it is because the website is pretty descriptive about what is included, and nobody has any information beyond what is on the website, so all we can do is speculate.

Personally, the model Y and R1S are so different, I couldn't imagine making a decision between the two based on self-driving features.
Driving a Y too — excellent on road, OK on smooth dirt, gravel, and snow. No R!S, which is true all terrain, so apples and oranges, both will be great. Self-driving important going forward for each even if Y has big head start. Hope Rivian is able to catch up but this is not I think a deal breaker.

OP
OP
First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
Agreed

Agreed, that a MY (CUV) and R1S (SUV) are different, however the utility which attracts me to the EV market is Autonomous driving whether it be Tesla's AP/FSD, or Rivian's Driver+.

I'm also 50% blind in one eye (early age glaucoma), so this feature set will be highly valuable to me in the next 10-20 years, especially night driving.

My concern is, whether Tesla has SUCH a head start on autonomous driving that other EV players in the market will never catch up (or always be #2). I liken this to the cloud wars (AWS, Azure, GCP), or Apple's start on the App Store market.

Yes, there is good detail on the site but does not speak to me about the underlying tech. Will Rivian be taking a similar approach as Tesla? (ML Self Learning Models, Computer Vision, etc.) or something else? Interested in hearing if anyone's read/heard anything about this?

OP
OP
First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
This article tells about the plans Rivian has for the equivalent capabilities as FSD. 'Guardian Mode. There will be finer grain differences certainly between the two. With the software first architecture that Rivian has, I am expecting Rivian's implementation of L2 to be at par with Tesla.

Definitely one of my main points in my test drive checklist (waiting patiently like all of us).

I think L3 will come later and could be at an additional cost. Hopefully no nickel and diming.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/23/driv...s-keep-em-inside-text-you-if-things-go-wrong/

Interesting read! Thanks.

OP
OP
First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
I love driving as well, and have a Miata which I track frequently for the full driving experience. But, on long road trips and in heavy traffic, FSD in my Tesla makes getting from point a to b a lot more relaxing and less stressful.

I don't expect Driver + to be nearly as good as Tesla's FSD at launch, but it will be nice to have nonetheless.

Yes, this has always been my thinking. Autopilot, or FSD will GREATLY reduce the stress of daily and road trip driving.

OP
OP
First Name
Doil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot 2005
The Amazon partnership is huge here. I was told that Amazon has a "vested interest" in Rivian's autonomous driving capabilities.

Amazon acquired Zoox & invested in Aurora, who recently acquired Uber's self driving unit. This leads me to believe that there is already A LOT of data & development at Rivian's disposal.

I think we're in good shape with Rivian's AD capabilities moving forward.
Interesting... Do you think it'll remain as a partnership or possibly an Amazon acquisition in the future.
Sponsored