Not open for further replies.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Tell me it's a slow day for Rivian news without telling me it's a slow day for Rivian news...
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I now own 180 shares of the company,
Why would you purchase shares in a company that is predicated on the assumption large numbers of people will buy their 250mi and 300mi models, because the 400mi is a price point not conducive to the scale needed to support the valuation? If these would prove to be terrible decisions, surely that would not bode well for your investment?

Why do people buy the Model 3 and Model Y at a rate of about 20:1 (and growing) to the models with longer range offered by the same company? Why is the used market for these models not flooded after they realize such a huge mistake?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Why would you purchase shares in a company that is predicated on the assumption large numbers of people will buy their 250mi and 300mi models, because the 400mi is a price point not conducive to the scale needed to support the valuation?
Because at the moment they're up 197% and it ain't even a week!

Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Not getting involved in the max pack discussion, but nearly 99% of my driving on a per trip basis is 120 miles or less. If I add at 45 min lunch + charging, the range is now close to where I would prefer to fly. I guess we'll see, but I can't imagine cancelling a trip across town if you have a charger at home...
unfortunately you will get understand this very well when you get your EV. EV's require planning at this stage and any unplanned trip has the potential of falling victim to lack of range. Sure you can charge For a couple hours at home to get that range but your gonna be at least a couple hours late.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Why do people buy the Model 3 and Model Y at a rate of about 20:1 (and growing) to the models with longer range offered by the same company? Why is the used market for these models not flooded after they realize such a huge mistake?
A model 3 and y has many many more places to charge than a Rivian right now and the charge rate in miles per hour of range added is much better. Going on a long trip a rivian will have less places to stop and charge, then spend much longer at those stops adding back that range.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Wild guessā€¦ coz most people canā€™t afford a $90k+ vehicle so they opt for the model they can afford that provides the most range (combined with their needs). But you already knew that.

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
The EV tax credit may be my deciding factor for the Max Pack...$10k, probably worth it for me. $18,000 ($10K for the Max pack, $7,500 EV tax credit, + $500 battery made in America) not worth it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The EV tax credit may be my deciding factor for the Max Pack...$10k, probably worth it for me. $18,000 ($10K for the Max pack, $7,500 EV tax credit, + $500 battery made in America) not worth it.
R1Ts won't be eligible for the $500 battery credit for several years. The battery cells must be manufactured in the US. Samsung SDI does not have a plant here, and they wouldn't be able to start production in the US for at least a couple years.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
R1Ts won't be eligible for the $500 battery credit for several years. The battery cells must be manufactured in the US. Samsung SDI does not have a plant here, and they wouldn't be able to start production in the US for at least a couple years.
I think the jury is still out on the ā€œbatteryā€ part of this. A: we donā€™t have final language or even if this will pass. B: How is the word battery defined? Is it the cell or the entire pack?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think the jury is still out on the ā€œbatteryā€ part of this. A: we donā€™t have final language or even if this will pass. B: How is the word battery defined? Is it the cell or the entire pack?
I don't think there's actually been any ambiguity in the bill's text. The current version is (emphasis added):

5 ā€˜ā€˜(2) DOMESTIC CONTENT QUALIFICATIONS.ā€”
6 The term ā€˜domestic content qualificationsā€™ means,
7 with respect to any model of a new qualified plug-
8 in electric vehicle, that vehicles of that model are
9 powered by battery cells which are manufactured in
10 the United States as certified by the manufacturer
11 at such time and in such form and manner as the
12 Secretary may prescribe.
I believe all previous drafts which included an extra "domestic content" credit also specifically used the term "battery cells", rather than just "battery". I am at least certain that the 10/28 draft also used "battery cells".

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
A model 3 and y has many many more places to charge than a Rivian right now and the charge rate in miles per hour of range added is much better. Going on a long trip a rivian will have less places to stop and charge, then spend much longer at those stops adding back that range.
That wasn't the point I was making. I was saying why do people buy a 3/Y when they need the range of the S or X? The claim was that everyone needs more range and are making a mistake by not paying for it.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am in the same boatā€¦ planeā€¦ truckā€¦ oh Hell, I donā€™t even know anymore. This thread is bonkers.

I currently am in line for an LE because I think it will fit my needs 99% of the time, but part of me wants to go Max just to have it.

That being said, $10k is a lot, plus losing out on the wheel upgrade that comes with LE. Add on top of that the $7500 and this is a $20,000 sway. Plus tax, plus annual registration bump.

We are getting our first EV this weekend. I guess I will do a lot of learning before my Rivian number comes up, at which point, I can make the final decision.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
In case this statement has NOT been made in the past 23 pages....

"If you have to ask...." ;)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.