Sponsored

Did Rivian send me returned defective crossbars?

Thnxn01 (Scammer)

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian r1s launch edition
Occupation
Attorney
  • Banned
I have a 1 week old R1S that I ordered crossbars for which arrived yesterday. I opened the box today to test installing them (which looked very easy on video). I had no luck getting them secured - they would not click in to place in any orientation even hanging on them. With a brand new Rivian and brand new crossbars - there should be no necessary adjustments. I looked at a couple youtube videos on how to install them to make sure I wasn't missing something and I realized that what people were unboxing on video was very different than what I unboxed. I had 2 loose crossbars and 2 loose keys in the box I received - not bubble wrapped crossbars and keys in a sealed envelope. Hard not to jump to the conclusion that I received a returned set of crossbars (that didn't work).
Sponsored

OP
OP

Thnxn01 (Scammer)

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian r1s launch edition
Occupation
Attorney
  • Banned
I'm a big Rivian fan, but if this is how they're trying to save money - I'm not optimistic

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There are plenty of slight variations from vehicle to vehicle and new bars often need to be adjusted for optimal fit. Search these forums for the procedure and, using a small allen key, make the necessary adjustments. If they still won't fit, put in a ticket.

Don't worry about the varied packaging, Rivian has changed almost all of their packaging at least once. As long as the bars appear new, they likely are.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Mine were like this. They may require adjustment. Open a ticket.

alacritousOmega

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor
I had this issue but itā€™s super easy to ā€œfixā€. To get them to snap secure just give it a good smack with your fist while pushing down. They fit super snug! Just give it a good wwhhhacckk (without breaking anything)

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian has had lots of packaging issues and changes from the beginning, so I wouldnā€™t factor in what you saw on a video from the past.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas
I canā€™t comment on whether yours were previously returned, but ours were very difficult to get installed properly also. I finally had success with gently tapping down at the connection points with a rubber Malloy, while fiddling with the Clips thing.

when properly installed, the crossbars should be snug and tight with no jiggling or rattling.

neo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mine were very hard to get on, too. I thought it would take two minutes but they would not click and lock into place. Hanging on them only worked for one of the four. I resorted to a rubber mallet and that helped. What also helped was trying to rotate the key to lock it in place while pulling the crossbar down, to aid the internal lever to rotate into place (just rotate the right direction!). Maybe donā€™t use the key method and the rubber mallet method at the same time šŸ˜„
Once theyā€™re on they feel very secure. Iā€™m hesitant to take them off now because it was so hard to get them on.
Sponsored