First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
In August of 2020, I put down my $1000 on an R1S. When configuration opened up, I switched to the R1T. So, as it was, I was torn on which platform I wanted. I liked the SUV because I could take the dog, wife and kids with plenty of interior space, and occasionally sleep in it. I liked the truck because or the gear tunnel and the thought of putting my bikes over the bed instead of a hitch rack. I have a very long list of pros and cons for each vehicle.

Last week, I received my guide introduction and had my call.

He said if i wanted to move forward that day, I would likely get my R1T by the end of May or early June. I would be his first Compass Yellow!

I told him I wanted to drive the truck in a real world scenario and that I was torn between the two. He totally understood and has set me up with a drive. I also said I wanted to sit in the SUV and actually see what the third row was like and how the interior was laid out before I made the decision to lock in my configuration and move forward with the PBA.

He said that was cool, but warned me it may be months before I would see an SUV and it would definitely push my delivery back if I decided to change my configuration and go with the SUV. His best guess was end of the year. The longer I wait also pushes my delivery of the R1T back if I decide to stick with it.

So, have I made a mistake? Should I have just gone with the truck and never looked back? I guess I am just concerned that I am being swayed by the shiny object in front of me instead of weighing all of my options.

Anyone else in a similar boat?
Sponsored

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
I mean, this all boils down to personal preference, but why not buy the truck now, and put another reservation down for an S and make a better and more informed decision then?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
In August of 2020, I put down my $1000 on an R1S. When configuration opened up, I switched to the R1T. So, as it was, I was torn on which platform I wanted. I liked the SUV because I could take the dog, wife and kids with plenty of interior space, and occasionally sleep in it. I liked the truck because or the gear tunnel and the thought of putting my bikes over the bed instead of a hitch rack. I have a very long list of pros and cons for each vehicle.

Last week, I received my guide introduction and had my call.

He said if i wanted to move forward that day, I would likely get my R1T by the end of May or early June. I would be his first Compass Yellow!

I told him I wanted to drive the truck in a real world scenario and that I was torn between the two. He totally understood and has set me up with a drive. I also said I wanted to sit in the SUV and actually see what the third row was like and how the interior was laid out before I made the decision to lock in my configuration and move forward with the PBA.

He said that was cool, but warned me it may be months before I would see an SUV and it would definitely push my delivery back if I decided to change my configuration and go with the SUV. His best guess was end of the year. The longer I wait also pushes my delivery of the R1T back if I decide to stick with it.

So, have I made a mistake? Should I have just gone with the truck and never looked back? I guess I am just concerned that I am being swayed by the shiny object in front of me instead of weighing all of my options.

Anyone else in a similar boat?
What are your use cases? Do you need a truck or do you need more seats and an SUV? If the number of seats in the truck is enough I would just stick with that.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I think it really depends on your usage.

I recently went through this with just an ICE full-size truck vs an ICE large SUV.

If not for the supply-chain issues, in retrospect, I would have gone with the SUV because my truck usage cases seem to be less than my SUV/seating/internal storage needs.

I also got the truck so I could put my bikes in the back but in the end, I went back to using my hitch rack because it was easier to use than a tailgate pad.

Don't get me wrong, the full-size truck is large and fits my family fine but the 2nd row doesn't recline which my kids miss from my minivan days. And now I'm searching for tonneau covers because having enclosed storage is of much more value to me.

So I'm slowly considering just going to an R1S or some upcoming large SUV rather than the R1T or upcoming EV truck.

But... bird in hand logic and current value says get the R1T so you can enjoy it now... and then once the R1S are higher production, you can probably sell your R1T for minimal loss (or maybe a gain).

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I dont love the best guess being end of the year delivery on an R1S....

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
If you want your truck s00n dragging your feet and waiting for a drive is a mistake, yes.

Upside is if you wait you get a later wave truck and others have helped work out the bugs and gremlins.

Downside of the upside is RIVN burns through their (apologies for the financial jargon) humongous cash pile, crashes and burns, then you have to buy a Lightning or a landie…

…but the downside of the upside could be the upside of the upside 🧐

Reactions: Guy

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sully, while you may be in the theatre arts, stop being so dramatic.

Get the truck, ASAP.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have agonized over this same scenario for months. I think it comes down to being realistic with yourself. For example, you mentioned the ability to sleep in the R1S, but realistically how often would you do that? How often would you bring your dogs with or use the vehicle to transport bikes? For me, I really wanted the ability to sleep in the R1S, but realistically I'd rarely, if ever, actually do that. However, I'd transport bikes all the time, so that needs to be prioritized accordingly.

The other side of this of course is the emotional side. So here's a simple exercise that helped me figure this out. If your partner was making a nice dinner at home and asked you to make a run to the grocery store to pick up an ingredient and you had an R1T and an R1S in your driveway, which would you choose to take? For me, it's the truck every time -- I just think it's cooler and more fun to drive.

I could get bogged down in analyzing how I may or may not use the R1T versus the R1S on the edge cases, but the reality is both function for most everything I need, so I should go with the one I'd choose to run an errand in -- that says a lot.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

No, you are not making a mistake. Don’t let anyone force you into an $80k decision. If you want to see both, just wait.
You have a plan, stick to it.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

1. Yes

2. You're in SLO area, right? Take a weekend trip down to Venice when they get an R1S and check them both out in person. Your gut will tell you.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Given that you have kids, I am sure they would prefer the comforts of space in the back. You are unlikely to have buyers remorse either way but remember, the passengers in the back tend to be vocal about their creature comforts. I have not sat in either so I am just guessing that the R1S second row is going to offer a bit more recline and perhaps space than what you get in the R1T - but this is pure speculation.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have had a similar dilemma without the time pressure since I have later registration with Explore. As far as the errand test above, I would take R1S. It is shorter and easier to park. I like the look of R1S more as well. So far I have not switched to R1T and have stuck with R1S. Biggies for me for R1T is full size spare and the bed. I rarely go off road so I want the spare mainly for longer trips (I will be getting 21s) and the bed for regular dump runs for things like yard trash. I have gotten used to having a bed with my current truck. But R1S larger lockable interior space, larger distance between the racks for my kayak, shorter length and shorter wheelbase has been winning so far. I definitely like the option to sleep in there. I would probably buy a full size spare and carry it inside on long trips. I don’t expect to tow more than 7700 Ibs and I will probably buy a trailer for occasional trucky needs. If I can leave the back of R1S open and fit a drywall in while I drive, it would solidify my R1S choice. I am curious about your list of Pros and Cons for each.

I am with @Ladiver on this. Pick what works for you best and deal with the timing.

Last edited:

McRivian67

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 SR RWD, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Accountant
I am feeling many of the same conflicting emotions. To me, there's just something about a truck that speaks to me. Plus the prospect of getting the truck several months sooner. I have a tendency to get excited about new things and have a hard time waiting patiently. The one thing that keeps me holding onto the the R1S though is seating. With three kids, I really feel the third row is the best option for us. Sure we can crowd the kids into the second row of the truck, but having them on top of each other the whole trip just gets a little crazy. Especially as they continue to grow. I know plenty of people who make that work, but for us, being able to have one in the third row and only two in the middle row is quite likely what helps preserve my sanity. If we only had two kids, the truck would work perfect. We don't travel with a dog though...

Otherwise, I would be all over the truck and never look back.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have the R1T and LOVE it...but I also have an R1S on order and think that will be the one we keep. Not having a safe place for the dog really does limit the love of the truck. The decision to go with the R1S is easier because I still have my Sierra 3500. Unfortunately, that isn't going anywhere as long as I have a 5th wheel trailer to pull.
Sponsored