Sponsored

Cv shafts keep popping out

Offgrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
500 miles in the rear cv shaft popped out on the driver side and stripped the splines on the disconnect. SC replaced the cv shaft, disconnect and the wheel hub.

1 week later (today), the exact thing happened again..

the symptom is rhythmic clucking followed by pop and spline grinding noise and the turtle mode with awd unavailable message.
Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Oh no! Sorry to hear this, following!!!

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Wow, what a bummer. What are you driving patterns like? Do you often change the ride height? Use conserve mode? Tow heavy loads?

OP
OP
Offgrid

Offgrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, what a bummer. What are you driving patterns like? Do you often change the ride height? Use conserve mode? Tow heavy loads?
Off-road daily. 3 miles each way of dirt to get to my house.
suspension cycles from low to high daily. yesterday I cycled to highest in offroad mode and then this. Iā€™m wondering if the axels just arenā€™t extending enough and pulling themselves out of the disconnect at the highest setting. Even so there should be a c-clip or roll pin retainer to hold the shaft in at both ends.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
As I have mentioned ad nauseam at this point... Rivian has a serious problem with their half-shafts and CV Joints. Simply replacing blown parts with the same spec/soon to be blown parts is not "fixing" the situation as the OP has just proved.
Just like the broken tonneau system... Rivian needs to take a serious look at their CV Joint/half-shaft failures and actually address the issue in a meaningful way or they are in for a steady diet of failed/expensive repairs and a lot of really pissed off owners.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah it seems like this tech is reaching too far for where the CV joints are at. For me personally this isnā€™t a huge issue as Iā€™m not an off road guy, my truck lives in sport mode. It is good to know though that if I am going off road to keep it to high max and take it easy.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
As I have mentioned ad nauseam at this point... Rivian has a serious problem with their half-shafts and CV Joints. Simply replacing blown parts with the same spec/soon to be blown parts is not "fixing" the situation as the OP has just proved.
Just like the broken tonneau system... Rivian needs to take a serious look at their CV Joint/half-shaft failures and actually address the issue in a meaningful way or they are in for a constant diet of failed/expensive repairs and a lot of really pissed off owners.
Beyond upset owners once this gets in the media that the suspension issues are frequent without real solutions youā€™d think that would turn off interested buyers. I told myself Iā€™d never buy an Audi cause of all the transmission issues that were reported on their earlier vehicles (Iā€™m sure itā€™s better now). Hopefully they fix this and it doesnā€™t turn into a bad rep that sticks.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
My truck is in Brooklyn right now for what looks to be a blown front motor @ā€˜sub 800 miles which was preceded by CV joint noise, But only on the morning of failure.

The loaner they gave me (which Iā€™m very appreciative of , donā€™t get me wrong) also has CV noise and went into turtle mode this morning. The other loaner I had when my truck was in for a bad TCM module at 300 miles also had CV joint noise. So the three Rivians that Iā€™ve driven all have axel \ cv noise, not to mention the suspension

I too use the available drive modes and suspect they donā€™t like changing height.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Would it matter whether the ride height change happened in park vs on the move?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Hahaha. Just like the passenger side lean
Well, not as serious as blown driveshafts... "the lean" is another issue they are choosing to ignore at customers expense. I would be relentless if my $80K vehicle had a ridiculous lean condition and I got treated with the "sorry, there's nothing we can do.. thanks for coming in" attitude.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just like the broken tonneau system... Rivian needs to take a serious look at their CV Joint/half-shaft failures and actually address the issue in a meaningful way or they are in for a constant diet of failed/expensive repairs and a lot of really pissed off owners.
Well, not as serious as blown driveshafts... "the lean" is another issue they are choosing to ignore at customers expense. I would be relentless if my $80K vehicle had a ridiculous lean condition and I got treated with the "sorry, there's nothing we can do.. thanks for coming in" attitude.
"There's nothing we can do" or "that's normal" are the kinds of responses you get from Service when a solution hasn't been provided to them yet. I fully expect Rivian's engineers are well aware of all of these issues and are working with their suppliers on a solution. But, it takes considerable time to diagnose a problem, engineer a solution, and then start production of the revised parts.
Sponsored