First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16LincolnMKX
Occupation
Commercial Driver
135KW to 180KW is 45 more KW. Upgrade to 180KW Rivian is charging $14,000US OR $18,340Canadian calculates each KW @ $311.11US OR $ 407.41Canadian. A 135KW battery price at $41,999.85 which leaves $35,000.15 to build a R1T.
Has any one else done the simple math, am I wrong to see as a price gough? Thoughts ...
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
135KW to 180KW is 45 more KW. Upgrade to 180KW Rivian is charging $14,000US OR $18,340Canadian calculates each KW @ $311.11US OR $ 407.41Canadian. A 135KW battery price at $41,999.85 which leaves $35,000.15 to build a R1T.
Has any one else done the simple math, am I wrong to see as a price gough? Thoughts ...
Rivian is charging $10000 additional for the 180KW battery from what I see.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
And upgrades often carry a bigger profit margin.
Look at the cost to go from the standard (20 or 22 inch) to black wheels for $1700.
The thing that gets me, is that at the Seattle event (where both the Rivian Blue and the dark wheels debuted) I was told the dark wheels would be the cheapest option....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Why would you think even for a moment that these are being sold by the kWh or, equivalently, by the mile? The extra miles (or extra kWh) represent premium performance which we should expect to pay a premium price. I'm surprised that the marginal cost is so small.

Sponsored

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prevost Motorcoach towing a CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Packing more capacity into the same space can also force engineering changes that are more costly. I also think we should avoid assuming that Rivian is giving away their features at cost. Higher end features are always more costly per feature/function. Welcome to opportunity pricing.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Packing more capacity into the same space can also force engineering changes that are more costly. I also think we should avoid assuming that Rivian is giving away their features at cost. Higher end features are always more costly per feature/function. Welcome to opportunity pricing.
Bingo. It's not about "how much does this cost?", it's "how much do we think people will pay for this?".

Let's not forget that before the Cybertruck announcement the assumption was that the listed base price (69k) would net you a base 105kwh model. That quickly changed to "well optioned" model precisely because Rivian likely asked the second question again and arrived at a different answer than the one they originally envisioned.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I've been looking at Apple watches. Going from an aluminum case to a stainless steel one adds a couple of hundred $ to the price. Is a couple of grams of stainless steel worth $200 more than a couple of grams of aluminum? Going to titanium adds another hundred bucks. But if you really want to toss your money away order the model that says "Hermes" on the screen!

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I've been looking at Apple watches. Going from an aluminum case to a stainless steel one adds a couple of hundred $ to the price. Is a couple of grams of stainless steel worth $200 more than a couple of grams of aluminum? Going to titanium adds another hundred bucks. But if you really want to toss your money away order the model that says "Hermes" on the screen!

I just got an apple watch for the first time. Went with the titanium. Why? it looks cool. Apple store ppl actually ooh'ed. But the real reason? I wanted it, and $200 over 2 years really doesn't matter.

I just ordered a Rivian for the first time. Its actually the first new car I've purchased. Why? Its cool. Yes its economical, but so is buying a $3000 Yaris. These are luxury goods. They don't have to make perfect sense $ wise.

Of course the 180 kW option is going to cost proportionally more. If it didnt, everyone would get it.

They clearly want the bulk to be 135kW, thats the sweet spot of their engineering. Lower and more people complain about low range, low performance. Higher and they could exceed battery making capacity. Everythings done for a reason.
Sponsored