Sponsored

Compute capability

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Does anyone have insights into what Rivian is using to power their MCU and Driver+ modules and what embedded OS they built their UI on? As I read about the "laggy" behavior of the maps, I am starting to wonder if this is all SW (still being ironed out) or whether there is an underlying HW constraint here that SW will need to optimize for.

Its clear that the Rivian (and pretty much every other manufacturer) sees the value in up-selling enhanced capabilities and apps to generate a lucrative revenue stream post purchase of the vehicle. To realize this goal, putting the right compute guts into the vehicle on day 1 is key. I really hope Rivian has nailed this.
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
From their job postings it looks like the OS is QNX (BlackBerry) but I can't really tell what the CPU is. From prior job postings I think it is probably a Renesas device.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
From their job postings it looks like the OS is QNX (BlackBerry) but I can't really tell what the CPU is. From prior job postings I think it is probably a Renesas device.
Huh, that's an interesting choice. Wondering why they went with QNX.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
They might have wanted a one stop solution with a hypervisor. Much of this depends on if they have a single domain controller for the center stack and cluster displays.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Because Amazon has a partnership with QNX. They made a big AWS deal awhile back.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Does anyone have insights into what Rivian is using to power their MCU and Driver+ modules and what embedded OS they built their UI on? As I read about the "laggy" behavior of the maps, I am starting to wonder if this is all SW (still being ironed out) or whether there is an underlying HW constraint here that SW will need to optimize for.

Its clear that the Rivian (and pretty much every other manufacturer) sees the value in up-selling enhanced capabilities and apps to generate a lucrative revenue stream post purchase of the vehicle. To realize this goal, putting the right compute guts into the vehicle on day 1 is key. I really hope Rivian has nailed this.
They may have not been particularly aggressive here. When asked about games at First Mile they gave a pretty wimpy answer about it not really being in line with the wilderness experience. I was internally like, okay but sometimes the experience is pavement at a grocery store's free level 2 in Chicago.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
They may have not been particularly aggressive here. When asked about games at First Mile they gave a pretty wimpy answer about it not really being in line with the wilderness experience. I was internally like, okay but sometimes the experience is pavement at a grocery store's free level 2 in Chicago.
I think the mentioned 10k upgrade in the S1 will mainly be a MCU upgrade and probably cameras. The biggest question I have is when was hardware like MCU and cameras locked in with no more improvement?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Because Amazon has a partnership with QNX. They made a big AWS deal awhile back.
I suspect Rivian was committed to QNX long before the investment from Amazon.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
They might have wanted a one stop solution with a hypervisor. Much of this depends on if they have a single domain controller for the center stack and cluster displays.
Yeah, in my day job I have had recent conversations with QNX about their automotive stack (I work in the industry) and they are now claiming certifiability for the QNX hypervisor up to ASIL-C for sure and depending on configuration, ASIL-D.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
QNX makes sense, imo, as it's a RTOS. QNX has a strong history of use in automotive applications.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I think the mentioned 10k upgrade in the S1 will mainly be a MCU upgrade and probably cameras. The biggest question I have is when was hardware like MCU and cameras locked in with no more improvement?
I am not sure that this implies that MCU and HW need an upgrade for this. The s1 states -

"

Software Enabled Services. We assume the LTR opportunity from software to be $15,500. This is comprised of autonomous driving capabilities of $10,000, and a monthly subscription plan for infotainment, connectivity, diagnostics, and other services valued at $5,500, based on publicly disclosed industry benchmarks.​
"

This leads me to believe that they **expect** that most of this revenue will be from services offered on top of the existing HW platform that they are shipping with (atleast I sure hope it is).

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I am not sure that this implies that MCU and HW need an upgrade for this. The s1 states -

"

Software Enabled Services. We assume the LTR opportunity from software to be $15,500. This is comprised of autonomous driving capabilities of $10,000, and a monthly subscription plan for infotainment, connectivity, diagnostics, and other services valued at $5,500, based on publicly disclosed industry benchmarks.​
"

This leads me to believe that they **expect** that most of this revenue will be from services offered on top of the existing HW platform that they are shipping with (atleast I sure hope it is).
I will be interested to see where this journey leads. It’s interesting to see how many of the big auto companies are jumping ship from QNX and Moving to Android Automotive OS. I wonder if it’s because it’s maybe lighter weight and easier to accommodate the consumer with apps and such. As we know the legacy auto has had the hardest time moving forward in tech. Or is it because QNX is more difficult to develop and is just slower overall?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Ford's Sync 4 is also based on QNX. However Ford recently committed to using Android Auto.
Sponsored