Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Based on this shot I am very worried about glare on the instrument panel screen... Hopefully it won't be a problem.
Screenshot_20210226-144818.jpg
It does appear there is some sort of protective film over the screen (notice the air bubbles and ripples) which would not have any kind of anti-glare coating.
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Capture4.PNG

Interesting . . . blink and you would have missed this.
Interesting that the interface does not appear to have a "Home" button. Where would be able to access any other apps? Alexa symbol clearly visible in the top left.

The options appear to be Navigation (Compass), Entertainment (Music note), Phone (Phone), Driving Modes (Truck under Mountain), Settings(?) (Gear).

I love this "Engineering" page that says "Nothing can stop you." Looks like you may be able to put several parameters into different modes, including "drivetrain," which is listed as "4x4." Does this mean you can adjust the drivetrain to 4x2 to save range?

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Based on this shot I am very worried about glare on the instrument panel screen... Hopefully it won't be a problem.

However, I wonder if the reason it is so close to the driver is because it's a touch screen that you can interact with. I doubt it but it'd be interesting to see how that would be implemented.
That looks like a plastic film on it you can peel off.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The fact that they are the inverter and the electric motor to heat the battery, doesn't mean they will use the inverter and the electric motor to heat the cabin. They didn't mention anything about how they are heating the cabin.
Once the truck is being driven, the inverter and motors will be generating heat continuously, so yes, I think they will be using that to not only keep the battery warm but also to direct some of that heat to the cabin as well.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Once the truck is being driven, the inverter and motors will be generating heat continuously, so yes, I think they will be using that to not only keep the battery warm but also to direct some of that heat to the cabin as well.
They may, but it takes a lot more heat to get the cabin to 65 than the battery to 14.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Because they'll make more than one vehicle. Why make a charger that doesn't have those specs when you know you'll eventually have a 800v+ vehicle even if you don't now?
Fair enough, I still am remaining optimistic we will see more than 200kw. I don't know enough about charging specifics to be honest. I don't know if AZBill stated can be overcome but if initially 200kw is the charging limit 100% that is disappointing.

OP
OP
RforRivian

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I think we have learned a lot about the efficiency of these vehicles. Stick with me. In the article on stories.rivian.com they say

In ideal conditions, an R1 can add 25 miles of range per hour when plugged into a home AC charger.
Edit: I realize now that this info was already available on the FAQ of Rivian's site... But the rest of this is still useful I think.

Now from the leak yesterday that contained data on the Rivian EVSE we know that Rivian's own 240V charger will supply 11.5kW. If we assume that the R1 vehicles have an onboard charger that can take that full 11.5kW then that means that you can expect

25Miles/11.5kW = 2.174 miles/kW

We also know that the original battery sizes given were 105kWh, 135kWh, and 180kWh.

If we multiply by 2.174 by the battery size we get predicted ranges of

228 Miles: Small pack
293 Miles: Large pack
391 Miles: Max pack

Keep in mind that Rivian no longer uses the battery size to denote the different ranges and has switched to calling them "Large" and "Max". So now they might be using more batteries or might have gotten more energy density out of their pack. Also, if the onboard charger of the R1 is smaller and can only take say 11kW then that means the miles/kWh would actually be more.

Edit 2: Very good points have been made about some things I didn't consider. I don't think this estimate will end up being accurate.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I hope that proves to be wrong, as Rivian has consistently said 300+ and 400+ miles for the Large/Max packs.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

However, I wonder if the reason it is so close to the driver is because it's a touch screen that you can interact with. I doubt it but it'd be interesting to see how that would be implemented.
Keep in mind that picture is taken from the center or even passenger side of the vehicle -- not from the driver's perspective. "Glare" to the passenger would not be glare to the driver... and only the driver needs to see the instrument cluster.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I hope that proves to be wrong, as Rivian has consistently said 300+ and 400+ miles for the Large/Max packs.
Lots of assumptions being made and charging losses being ignored... and more than likely "gaining 25 miles of range in an hour" is a very rOund number. Try running the math with 25.499 instead of 25. I'm not particularly concerned by the above post.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Now from the leak yesterday that contained data on the Rivian EVSE we know that Rivian's own 240V charger will supply 11.5kW. If we assume that the R1 vehicles have an onboard charger that can take that full 11.5kW then that means that you can expect

25Miles/11.5kW = 2.174 miles/kW

We also know that the original battery sizes given were 105kWh, 135kWh, and 180kWh.

Keep in mind that Rivian no longer uses the battery size to denote the different ranges and has switched to calling them "Large" and "Max". So now they might be using more batteries or might have gotten more energy density out of their pack. Also, if the onboard charger of the R1 is smaller and can only take say 11kW then that means the miles/kWh would actually be more.
Keep in mind a couple of things:
1) The 25 miles an hour is a very round number
2) L2 Charging losses are almost always about 10% (=/- ~ 2%)

By your method, an 11.5 kW charge would be providing about 10.35 kW to the battery
This would get you ~ 2.4 mi/kWh

Rivian has stated the Large pack is "a little smaller" than 135 kWh.
300 miles divided by 2.4 miles/kWh = 125 kWh pack
320 miles = 133 kWh pack

But as stated above, the 25 miles per hour is a round number and small changes will skew these numbers

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Keep in mind that picture is taken from the center or even passenger side of the vehicle -- not from the driver's perspective. "Glare" to the passenger would not be glare to the driver... and only the driver needs to see the instrument cluster.
I see what you all are saying, but I'm focusing on the fact that they are doing 100 mph in the ? :)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I see what you all are saying, but I'm focusing on the fact that they are doing 100 mph in the ? :)
Was that mph or kph? I couldn't make out that detail.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Was that mph or kph? I couldn't make out that detail.
Assuming based on them being in the US at the time. I suppose they could be Canadian spec.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner

Is he driving at 96 MPH in the snow?!?!
Sponsored