Sponsored

CO extends charging network

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Here's more info than you likely wanted, but might be useful to some.

Keep in mind that my RTT sticks above roofline, and I've added an awning to the passenger side, and recovery boards to the driver's side, so my efficiency will likely be less than you'll get. Next trip the awning will be closer in, and the recovery boards will be inboard of the rack, though the shovel may move outboard.

I left Golden with 97%. I can't find where i wrote down the estimated range, but it was around 275 miles.
I got to Glenwood Springs (145.3 miles) with 39% charge and estimated range of 106, averaging 2.05 mi/kWh. Charged to 85%, with an estimated range of 236.
Got to Grand Junction (total distance 238.9 miles) with 48% charge and 133 estimated range, and cumulative efficiency (since leaving Golden) was 1.99 mi/kWh. Charged to 85%, with an estimated range of 237. Efficiency was 1.93 mi/kWh since leaving Golden.
Hit Ridgway State Park (total distance 322.2 mi) with 51% and estimated 141 range. Was down to 126 by morning.
Drove back to Montrose (used 5% to get there, total distance 344.7 mi) and charged back up to 86% for an estimated 238 miles.
Drove up Yankee Boy Basin to 1 mile from the end of the road. Didn't take any readings. Couldn't get a campsite so headed down to Engineer Pass.
Got to the Engineer Pass trailhead (total distance 405.7 mi) with 56% and 142 miles of range. Efficiency from home to here was 1.84.
Drove in about 5 miles and camped for the night. Didn't take any readings.
Finished Engineer Pass and charged up at the charger in Lake City. Was at 33% and estimated range was 90 miles. Didn't record efficiency. Charged to 90% with an estimated range of 249.
HIt the start of Cinammon Pass with the same numbers.
Rolled into Silverton with 75% and 206 miles range.
Got to Ouray with 70% and 193 miles.
Hit Montrose with 63% and 172 miles range. Charged to 74% and 203 miles range.
Got to the RAN station in Salida (total distance 664.1 mi) with 18% and 49 miles. Total efficiency to this point (since leaving home) was 1.89 mi/kWh. Charged to 71% and 194 miles.
Got back to Golden (140 miles later) with 20% and 53 miles range. Overall efficiency for the trip was 1.92 mi/kWh. The total trip was 803 miles, over 22 hrs driving (over 60 hours), with a total energy use of 418 mi/kWh.

Overall, the guess-o-meter was fairly accurate on the highways when big climbs (Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass) weren't involved. Off-road I saw 15 min efficiency numbers as low as 0.37 mi/kWh, and as high as 4.00 (the max it reads), but in reality, infinite. Coming down from the passes I would see a few % charge increase.

Working chargers in Ouray would have eliminated the need backtrack to Montrose the first time, or to stop at all the 2nd. Biggest risk overall is a non-functional charger, especially in Lake City since there's only the 1. A 30a campground adapter is definitely worth carrying for emergency backup.
Were Rivian Waypoints not installed or operational at Ridgway State Park?

And I guess you didn’t want to sleep in your truck while charging in Ridgway overnight?

You used the 62.5kw charger in downtown Montrose?

I see on PlugShare that a Level 3 charger is in Telluride now, at highway robbery pricing.

Did you drive back to Golden via 285?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Were Rivian Waypoints not installed or operational at Ridgway State Park?

And I guess you didn’t want to sleep in your truck while charging in Ridgway overnight?

You used the 65kw charger in downtown Montrose?

I see on PlugShare that a Level 3 charger is in Telluride now, at highway robbery pricing.

Did you drive back to Golden via 285?
Didn't see any Waypoint chargers or signs to such in the park. I don't think they've built them out yet, just made the agreement to do so.

I slept in the RTT at Ridgway on the way down. I didn't yet have an adapter for the 30a socket (that'll be delivered tomorrow) so I would have had to settle for 110v. I didn't bother as it wouldn't have changed anything enough prevent the trip back to Montrose. I'm assuming though that you were joking about using the low power EV chargers on the trip back. Was going to camp at Cimarron, but it was closed so I drove home.

Didn't make it to Telluride, but good to know there's a level 3 there now, even if the price is nutty.

I took 50 to Salida, then 285 back home.

This was the longest trip so far with the R1T, so I had a little range anxiety, but it turned out to be unfounded.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I slept in the RTT at Ridgway on the way down. I didn't yet have an adapter for the 30a socket (that'll be delivered tomorrow) so I would have had to settle for 110v. I didn't bother as it wouldn't have changed anything enough prevent the trip back to Montrose. I'm assuming though that you were joking about using the low power EV chargers on the trip back. Was going to camp at Cimarron, but it was closed so I drove home.
Are there faster chargers than the 62.5kw (shared, 125kw total) in downtown Montrose across from the Tesla Superchargers?

I was hoping Rivian’s website would have adapters for the portable charging cord to plug into unique / various electrical outlets available by now. Where are you purchasing an adapter? Sounds like one doesn’t come with your R1. An R1 needs an adapter to plug into a standard public charger, 30amp J1772?

Last edited:

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Are there faster chargers than the 62.5kw (shared, 125kw total) in downtown Montrose across from the Tesla Superchargers?

I was hoping Rivian’s website would have adapters for the portable charging cord to plug into unique / various electrical outlets available by now. Where are you purchasing an adapter? Sounds like one doesn’t come with your R1. An R1 needs an adapter to plug into a standard public charger, 30amp J1772?
The Montrose charger was 125 kW, though I only got up to 85 in use even though there wasn't another EV charging. These were the chargers across from the Tesla SuperChargers. It'll be awesome if we eventually get access to those.

The Rivian portable charger has 2 plugs, a standard 120v 15a (5-15P) like you have throughout your house, as well as 240v (14-50P) for the source, and then j1772 into the truck. The campground I was at had 2 5-15R outlets, and a 120v 30a outlet (TT-30R). The portable charger does not have a TT-30P.

I ordered this adapter AmazonSmile: NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R 120V 30 Amp 3 Prong RV Male Plug to 4 Prong Generator Female Outlet Receptacle EV Charger Compatible Tesla Gen 2 Power Cord Adapter which I'm hoping would have solved my problem. It'd still be only 120v, but at least double the amps. Some campgrounds have 50a 240v (14-50R) receptacles, that would let you charge much faster. I believe the portable charger would plug right into these, but the charger is limited to 32a.

Since somebody is going to ask, the 120v 15a is 1.8kW, the 120v 30a is 3.6kW, and 240v 32a is 7.68kW.

I also carry an adapter for Tesla Destination Chargers.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Montrose charger was 125 kW, though I only got up to 85 in use even though there wasn't another EV charging. These were the chargers across from the Tesla SuperChargers. It'll be awesome if we eventually get access to those.

The Rivian portable charger has 2 plugs, a standard 120v 15a (5-15P) like you have throughout your house, as well as 240v (14-50P) for the source, and then j1772 into the truck. The campground I was at had 2 5-15R outlets, and a 120v 30a outlet (TT-30R). The portable charger does not have a TT-30P.

I ordered this adapter AmazonSmile: NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R 120V 30 Amp 3 Prong RV Male Plug to 4 Prong Generator Female Outlet Receptacle EV Charger Compatible Tesla Gen 2 Power Cord Adapter which I'm hoping would have solved my problem. It'd still be only 120v, but at least double the amps. Some campgrounds have 50a 240v (14-50R) receptacles, that would let you charge much faster. I believe the portable charger would plug right into these, but the charger is limited to 32a.

Since somebody is going to ask, the 120v 15a is 1.8kW, the 120v 30a is 3.6kW, and 240v 32a is 7.68kW.

I also carry an adapter for Tesla Destination Chargers.
Thanks. Sounds like I won’t need to purchase an adapter in order to use the free J1772 chargers in the town of Ridgway. I have used these chargers for my Tesla.

I have one of these for my Tesla, which I have to use at my parents’ house; not sure if it would work for a Rivian. Conntek EV1050T NEMA 10-50P to NEMA 14-50R (Tesla Style) Adapter Cord compatible with Tesla Vehicles https://a.co/d/8fLaL5x

Rivian R1T R1S CO extends charging network 561B00A8-BEA5-40E0-BCFA-C66B6615377A

Last edited:

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Heard that the Ouray chargers are officially open, although not much plugshare activity yet. Pricy! But glad to have another option down there. Looks also like the Moab charger is acting up... That is one place it would be nice to get some more chargers. Hopefully that is high on the RAN priority list.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Starbucks is building a series of chargers from Denver to Seattle - Colorado locations:
  • Grand Junction, Colo.
  • Glenwood Springs, Colo.
  • Silverthorne, Colo.
  • Idaho Springs, Colo.
  • Broomfield, Colo.
Some overlap with EA, but the Glenwood station isn't super reliable and Grand Junction is pretty far off the highway so it will be great to have some more options. Silverthorne will be nice too, hopefully reduce the strain on the Frisco one which I've seen full a few times. I am also on the Silverthorne side more often so I will like that.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...V-chargers-along-route-from-Denver-to-Seattle

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Silverthorne is the perfect place for chargers. I always find myself making pit stops there. Lots of good places to eat. I prefer the Red Buffalo coffee shop over a Starbucks any day, but I can charge at the Starbucks and drive across town again!

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Silverthorne Starbucks is next to Tesla's supercharges. Wonder if they'll be competing for power? We were hoping the Target up the street would put some in, our normal stop when we heading up to Steamboat.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Anything would be better than the EA up the road in Frisco, honestly. That Wal-Mart parking lot is _horrible_ in the snow because the snow plows use the EV charging area as their "dump pile" when they shovel the lot.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It appears the EA chargers, at King Soopers, in Erie are back up and running. Also, I've seen reports on plugshare that the chargers at the Walmart in Lafayette are charging at a much higher rate.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Will have to swing by there tomorrow @Sgt Beavis - Any word on the ones at the Target in Superior or at Flat Iron Crossing?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I haven’t been to those. Plugshare says that Flat Irons Crossing, as of July 31st, was working and working well. An R1T reported that they were getting 142kW.

Same for the one at Target. An R1T owner said it was putting out 161kW on July 21st.

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Hopefully the grant payout is not just for completion, but with uptime targets over their operational life! Crazy how EA for example have built out stations around me but NONE of them are fully operational. I have yet to see a single EA setup where every charger is working.... I can definitely see contractors reaping the grant benefits throwing stations up without solid planning on keeping them highly functional.
Yes--maintenance seems to be the bugaboo. There needs to be some requirement for that, long-term, included in the granting of the money.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just found these new Rivian waypoints in Crested Butte, Colorado. Is there a Waypoints map for Rivian?

Rivian R1T R1S CO extends charging network CC76EB73-C013-4978-BB15-DB538DC5A833
Sponsored