Sponsored

Chicago to Vancouver - Use Rivian or ABRP?

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

This is sad! I paid $100K for the car and I can't trust it's nav?
It’s not sad, we are saying that the Rivian vehicle underestimates its capability to travel a distance and makes you think you need to stop more often or charge longer than you need to. It’s being refined to be less conservative, but it err’s on the side of caution to ensure people make their destinations. For those willing to do a little planning and use alternative apps, they can get a fuller picture of the Rivian real capability.

Should Rivian improve its routing modeling, sure… but at least they are not stranding people in the middle of nowhere. They are just making drivers think they should stop more frequently
Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I’m planning a 1200 mile round trip now and am following everyone’s recommendations.

So far, I’m mapping the charger to charger routes as stop numbers (see below). Please forward any suggestions of a better process.

I'm fine changing the stops as needed but getting my far-sighted co-pilot to use a phone in the car is a game (“let me see”, “no, you’re driving”, “so? you can’t see the screen”).

Rivian R1T R1S Chicago to Vancouver - Use Rivian or ABRP? IMG_6256

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I’m planning a 1200 mile round trip now and am following everyone’s recommendations.

So far, I’m mapping the charger to charger routes as stop numbers (see below). Please forward any suggestions of a better process.

I'm fine changing the stops as needed but getting my far-sighted co-pilot to use a phone in the car is a game (“let me see”, “no, you’re driving”, “so? you can’t see the screen”).

IMG_6256.png
Small trick I learned was after I did all the mappings, I fed that info into ChatGPT and asked it to create me an itinerary as well as recommend some sights to see a long the way. Was fascinating to see what it came up with, plus having that consolidated roster organized by ChatGPT came in handy.

#RobotOverlords 🤷

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Small trick I learned was after I did all the mappings, I fed that info into ChatGPT and asked it to create me an itinerary as well as recommend some sights to see a long the way. Was fascinating to see what it came up with, plus having that consolidated roster organized by ChatGPT came in handy.

#RobotOverlords 🤷
Awesome! Great idea.

My experience so far with ChatGPT has been requesting holiday limericks about the dogs.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Rivian map refuses to select Tesla even when only select to us Tesla chargers. Definitely use ABRP or Google

Sponsored

OP
OP

DKM_R1S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Be careful taking a northern route through North Dakota.... few fast charging options in that state and eastern MT… better to go a more southern route along I-90. Even then, you might need to top charge a few times to make the distance. Also, pay attention to wind speed and direction, and factor that into your calculation in those Flat stretches.

Side note: Northern Idaho is stunning.
Thanks for the advice. You’re absolutely right unless I will be able to charge on the Tesla network. I now see that I would need to stop at a slow 76KW charger to get me through ND

OP
OP

DKM_R1S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Thanks for the advice. You’re absolutely right unless I will be able to charge on the Tesla network. I now see that I would need to stop at a slow 76KW charger to get me through ND
It gets even more interesting as I continue to study the maps. I-90 is a dead-zone for Rivian charging on the Tesla network. Nothing from east of Sioux Falls all the way to Billings. However, I-90 is a must if charging the Rivian on only CCS chargers.
Sponsored