Charging two EVs at home at once - easy solution

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Bought a used Chargepoint Home Flex. Was DOA. Returned it, and bought the Duo instead. Arrives Friday. Was set on needing a 48A smart charge, but realistically 40A is plenty, and will be much nicer to be able to charge two at once (even at split power), and don't need the smart features (only would be helpful for the Volt to know when it is charged as we our MyChevrolet app usage has expired long ago). I was planning on just switching which vehicle was plugged in, but this will be so much nicer. It is much better to get in the habit of just plugging in as soon as you get out, then you never have to worry about the time when you wake up and walk out for work only to see you aren't plugged in.

Will use it for our Volt now, then the Volt and R1T when that gets here, and finally the R1T and whatever 3 row SUV my wife wants. My commute is 60 miles/day (when I do actually go to the office, and with charging available at work if I need/want), wife's is 20. This will easily cover our daily needs, or even those times when we make extra trips.
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Some of this depends on which version of the electric
Maybe dumb question. I already have a 60a breaker and a hardwired charger installed. If one wanted to use a load sharing approach (2 units, not a single dual cable like OP): do you need to run a second cable from the breaker? Or from a junction box just before the first charger? Or does the 2nd cable run from the 1st charger?
Most load sharing setups use a wire from the panel/breaker to a junction box and then a wire from the junction box to each of the chargers. There also needs to be a communications wire (UTP/ ethernet cable) run between the chargers as well so they can work together.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Most load sharing setups use a wire from the panel/breaker to a junction box and then a wire from the junction box to each of the chargers. There also needs to be a communications wire (UTP/ ethernet cable) run between the chargers as well so they can work together.
Perfect - I didn't shoot myself in the foot with the way it was wired. I have a panel in my laundry room (next to garage) and we ran a 60a circuit and conduit to a charger right inside the garage. There is room that we could junction box before the existing charger, and then add 2nd conduit (+ communication wire) from there to another charger on other side of garage our outside the garage then. Thanks!

EzeE1o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Pilot. 2018 MB E300. 2012 Acura TSX 6mt
those with the grizzl-E duo, can you update how it's going so far? I have an R1S (dec 2021 reserve date) in queue, and also plan to have a mercedes EQE soon after, and am interested in a dual charge solution for my home.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
those with the grizzl-E duo, can you update how it's going so far? I have an R1S (dec 2021 reserve date) in queue, and also plan to have a mercedes EQE soon after, and am interested in a dual charge solution for my home.
Have only had ours since April, but it works great for the R1T and our ID.4. It gives full power if only one car is plugged in, splits equally if there are two cars actively charging. If one car finishes, that car keeps 8A for battery conditioning, etc, and the car that remains charging gets the balance. It won't charge as fast as two dedicated 40A (or 48A) units, but doesn't cost as much as 2 of most of them, and doesn't require the electrical panel space that two dedicated circuits would have. I know there are load sharing units that can use the same circuit for two chargers, but they are basically doing the same thing as the Duo, and you are paying for two fairly expensive EVSE. This seemed like the easiest way to charge 2 cars as long as you don't need max charging speed for both every day.
Sponsored