Sponsored

Charging two EVs at home at once - easy solution

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
*Skip down to the solution if you want to bypass the backstory. And let me know if there is a better or easier way to do it.

As the deliveries of the R1Ts have finally kicked off, I started thinking about how I would charge two EVs at home at once with minimal fuss and without having to install a second dedicated charging station. I imagine a good number of us buying the Rivian will have more than one EV at home so my solution should be relevant for others. First a little background: I currently have a Tesla Model 3; my model has a max charge rate of 32 Amps so the standard charger that came with it works perfect. When the Tesla was being delivered, I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage and that is what I use now to charge at 32 amps.

Getting the Rivian will force you to make a few choices about how to charge it. If you go with their included portable charger, which has a 32 Amp max, you can add around 16 miles per hour. If you opt for the Rivian wall charger ($750 now), which has a 48 Amp max, you can get 25 miles per hour; or you can buy a third-party charger such as JuiceBox to charger your Rivian. However, if you are like me and have a Tesla, either of those three choices would mean I need to install a second dedicated charger, which can get tricky as my breaker box was almost maxed out with the Tesla. Adding a separate EV charger at 32 or 48 amps would probably require me to upgrade my box, which sounds very expensive. Lucky for me, the solution is much simpler, see below.

Solution: when my NEMA 14-50 plug was installed, the electrician added a 50 amp circuit breaker. Thus, I can attach a charger with a max charge rate of 40 amps to that plug. The key in the solution is that there is a charger from Grizzl-E with a max charge rate of 40 amps that is specifically designed to plug into one NEMA 14-50 plug but that has two separate charging cables which can be connected to two cars at once. The charger can then manage the charging of the two vehicles at once or, how I will do it, you can use the carsā€™ built in charging schedules to stagger the charge times so that each car is charging at the max during its allotted time. For instance, I know that my Model 3 will charge much quicker so I will have it start charging first at 9pm (my low rates kick in). Then, 4 hours later at 1am, I will have the Rivian turn on. At 40 amps (or 10 kWh), the Rivian will add about 20 miles per hour (5 less MPH than the 48 amps from Rivian but some sacrifices had to be made). By the times I am ready to leave my house at 8am, it can add up to 140 miles of range, which is plenty more than my daily. Problem solved. Now with just one NEMA 14-50 plug and this charger from Grizzl-E, both of my cars can charger overnight with no extra equipment needed. The plug is a little expensive ($900) but compared to all of the electrical work I avoid, I would gladly pay that. See below for link. As mentioned above, let me know if there is a better solution for Tesla/Rivian households. I know that Wallbox has chargers that can be connected so you could in theory connect two chargers and have them communicate together as they charge two cars as well. But those seemed like they would not fit into one NEMA 14-50 plug as you have two separate chargers. Might need an electrician for that.

Grizzl-E Duo Level 2 Plug in EV Charger, up to 40 Amp, Two 24 feet Premium Cables (14-50 Plug)
Sponsored

Last edited:

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer
Using the duo is the easiest and cheapest method.

However Wallbox and Juicebox support load sharing. So you can have 2 48Amp chargers on a single 60Amp circuit and let the units figure out the best way to charge two vehicles at the same time. I haven't found any other 48Amp chargers that support load sharing.

There are more units, including wallbox and juicebox that support load sharing at lower amperages.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I bought this last year, at a 10% lower price, and to take advantage of the 30% federal tax credit, https://store.clippercreek.com/40-amp-dual-charging-station-14-50. I already had a 50amp NEMA-15 outlet in my garage that I use for my Tesla, so the installation of this purchase was simply mounting it on the wall with a couple screws and plugging it in to the outlet. This EVSE is not ā€œsmartā€, but my Tesla and Rivian are, and I can control them from their apps, so I didnā€™t care.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Using the duo is the easiest and cheapest method.

However Wallbox and Juicebox support load sharing. So you can have 2 48Amp chargers on a single 60Amp circuit and let the units figure out the best way to charge two vehicles at the same time. I haven't found any other 48Amp chargers that support load sharing.

There are more units, including wallbox and juicebox that support load sharing at lower amperages.
Wallbox Pulsar Plus supports load sharing via inter conned cable. Too bad it isnā€™t over WiFi.

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
I bought this last year, at a 10% lower price, and to take advantage of the 30% federal tax credit, https://store.clippercreek.com/40-amp-dual-charging-station-14-50. I already had a 50amp NEMA-15 outlet in my garage that I use for my Tesla, so the installation of this purchase was simply mounting it on the wall with a couple screws and plugging it in to the outlet. This EVSE is not ā€œsmartā€, but my Tesla and Rivian are, and I can control them from their apps, so I didnā€™t care.
Exactly my situation and my thought. I think this Grizzl e is even cheaper than the clipper creek. It still offers power sharing thought itā€™s only a 40amp max charger. I actually like the fact that it is NOT smart.

dvgandfam

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EV, Honda Clarity EV, Ram 2500 Cummins
Occupation
Engineer
I've owned 2 EVs for the past 3 years and for whatever reason I never bothered to consider purchasing one of these. Would have made my life so much easier. :)

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Great post. I have had a Tesla Model S for many years and now the R1T just around the corner ?. I have multiple (3) 48a outlets planned in a new garage they will be parked in, so likely a separate port and charger(?) for each. I need to work on my electrical knowledge.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Great post. I have had a Tesla Model S for many years and now the R1T just around the corner ?. I have multiple (3) 48a outlets planned in a new garage they will be parked in, so likely a separate port and charger(?) for each. I need to work on my electrical knowledge.
If you want 48A then they need to be hardwired and on their own 60A circuit. If you want outlets then 14-50R is one common type, but itā€™s limited to 40A on a 50A circuit.

Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Thanks. Maybe two Tesla Wall Connectors hardwired then (as I have one already).

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Tesla's 2nd Gen wall charger supports load sharing and you can have up to 5 of them on up to a 100A circuit. They're not the ones currently being sold in the shop, you have to buy them through business sales since the Gen 3 is the current retail model. But Gen2 chargers are still the commercial oriented unit for destination level-2 charger installations. They are now available with J772 connectors or Tesla connectors.

The Gen 3 retail units were at one point rumored to get load sharing ability, but they were never designed to handle anything larger than a 60A circuit and all their communication is wifi based. Gen 4 wall units will be released for CyberTruck. But we don't have any specs other than higher output than Gen 3 -- so probably back to 100A circuit ability and up to 80A charging like the previous Tesla chargers and I'd expect them to probably support V2H like Ford (and now apparently Rivian and GM).

Ideally if you have the panel capacity, the best solution is setting two wall chargers on their own 50 or 60 Amp circuit for 40 or 48 Amp charging...

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Maybe dumb question. I already have a 60a breaker and a hardwired charger installed. If one wanted to use a load sharing approach (2 units, not a single dual cable like OP): do you need to run a second cable from the breaker? Or from a junction box just before the first charger? Or does the 2nd cable run from the 1st charger?

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe dumb question. I already have a 60a breaker and a hardwired charger installed. If one wanted to use a load sharing approach (2 units, not a single dual cable like OP): do you need to run a second cable from the breaker? Or from a junction box just before the first charger? Or does the 2nd cable run from the 1st charger?
For my Wallbox setup I had one line running from the breaker to my garage. I then branched off the main line to my two EVSEā€™s. I ran the main line into a junction box then ran power lines from the junction box to each EVSE. I then had to run Cat5/6 cable between each EVSE for PowerSharing. I have 40A units on a 50A breaker, but do have them hardwired. I can charge our two EVs at 20A each if both are charging at once or get the full 40A on one EV if the other is just waiting and not charging.

I have been looking into seeing if I could swap out to a 60A breaker to bump up the PowerSharing to 24A per EV, but the max would still be 40A if one is charging. I havenā€™t been looking too hard though since our current setup has been more than adequate for our needs for charging speed/time.

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
For my Wallbox setup I had one line running from the breaker to my garage. I then branched off the main line to my two EVSEā€™s. I ran the main line into a junction box then ran power lines from the junction box to each EVSE. I then had to run Cat5/6 cable between each EVSE for PowerSharing. I have 40A units on a 50A breaker, but do have them hardwired. I can charge our two EVs at 20A each if both are charging at once or get the full 40A on one EV if the other is just waiting and not charging.

I have been looking into seeing if I could swap out to a 60A breaker to bump up the PowerSharing to 24A per EV, but the max would still be 40A if one is charging. I havenā€™t been looking too hard though since our current setup has been more than adequate for our needs for charging speed/time.
This is exactly what I'm planning on doing in my garage. I have a 60Amp breaker so I'm hoping to get the 24Amp per.
60Amp main -> junction box -> 2 wall box pulsar plus 48amps (with ethernet canbus connections)
I've also swapped the charging cables out for a chargepoint 50Amp cable. The one that comes with the wallbox is thick and horrible in the cold. It would not work with the custom tool retractor setup I made to pull the cable down from the ceiling in winter.

Right now I only have one wallbox wired and working, the second should arrive this Friday.
Sponsored