Sponsored

Charging routines

What’s going to be your charging approach/routine?

• Total voters

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Now that charging routines has been brought up. I'm curious. Will Rivians have two sets of batteries (the battery that powers the motors and a separate 12v for other systems) or will the motor's batteries power the entire thing. If two battery set up, will we facing bricking concerns akin to what Tesla and Ford has been facing?
It will have a 12V. Radios, lights, etc all rely on 12V, and as a safety precaution the HV battery is "disconnected" until the computers boot up (from the 12V).

"Bricking" refers to completely discharging the HV pack to a low enough point that it is permanently no longer able to take a charge. Never has been an issue with Ford, and a very few reports on the original Tesla Roadster. All BMS systems now prevent that.
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
"Bricking" refers to completely discharging the HV pack to a low enough point that it is permanently no longer able to take a charge. Never has been an issue with Ford, and a very few reports on the original Tesla Roadster. All BMS systems now prevent that.
This was one of the lessons that got to me the most when watching Long Way Up. During the ride, one of the Harley LiveWire bikes had the BMS die and so the high voltage system wouldn't charge. The 12V was just enough to power the bike to tell them it was a problem. It was the first time I'd even thought about this kind of issue.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Now that charging routines has been brought up. I'm curious. Will Rivians have two sets of batteries (the battery that powers the motors and a separate 12v for other systems) or will the motor's batteries power the entire thing. If two battery set up, will we facing bricking concerns akin to what Tesla and Ford has been facing?
Every EV right now has a separate battery for 12V systems and a DC-DC converter to charge/maintain the 12V battery. You made me think about it and I haven't seen how this is set up on any Rivians yet so I asked customer support and.... They don't currently have that information but were going to push my question up the chain to ask.

I also asked if there are going to be terminals to hook jumper cables up to for the Rivian to jump other vehicles. I do that occasionally in my Bolt and people are always surprised/weirded out that it can do it.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I guess my main concern is, and I hope Rivian doesn't suffer from this: will the smaller 12v be charged when the main battery gets charged? I keep hearing about this on two vehicles that have suffered from one battery charging, but not the smaller 12v when the vehicle is plugged in for the day/night/whenever (note: I have yet to experience this with my Bolt)

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I guess my main concern is, and I hope Rivian doesn't suffer from this: will the smaller 12v be charged when the main battery gets charged? I keep hearing about this on two vehicles that have suffered from one battery charging, but not the smaller 12v when the vehicle is plugged in for the day/night/whenever (note: I have yet to experience this with my Bolt)
The actual issue is usually not whether the 12V gets charged while plugged in and charging the HV battery, but whether it gets charged when the EV is not charging - plugged in or not. This is when 12V battery drains seem to happen. I don't know of an EV that will start a charge session thru the J1772 just to top off the 12V, but there are some that will check the 12V occasionally and if the voltage is below a certain level, charge it from the HV battery (doesn't require being plugged in).
To do these types of things (and OTA updates, etc), the vehicle has to be more "awake" and this contributes to both the drain on the 12V and "vampire drain" on the HV.

Hopefully Rivian will allow the owner to set some of these parameters - when.how OTA updates are performed, 12V monitoring, etc
Sponsored