Sponsored

Changing Amp Default?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I heard it's coming on the reddit thread.

Still, the OPs fix is the charger, not the car.
Sponsored

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt
I've got a related problem, and I really don't know what the issue is. I'm using my Gen 1 Tesla mobile charger - on a 50A circuit, providing 40A. It is plugging in with a TeslaTap 50A adapter. If I set the amperage in the truck to 40A, I have no issues, and the truck will charge to the setpoint. If I forget and leave it at the default 48A, the truck will start to charge - but sometime after adding a little to the battery, it errors out. Tesla charger blinking red, and truck just said charging stopped. I realize that the truck should only pull what the UMC is providing, but something is causing it to barf if set to over 40A.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
any update on the rivian remembering our amp settings? mine reverts back to 48A after every day it appears

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
any update on the rivian remembering our amp settings? mine reverts back to 48A after every day it appears
It’s the charger, not the car. I had a charger that I ultimately returned and went with Grizzl-e and haven’t had a single issue. Old charger kept changing to 48a and would cause the charger to go into over amp protection and be reset. Grizzl-e puts the truck properly at 40a with no issues.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

It’s the charger, not the car. I had a charger that I ultimately returned and went with Grizzl-e and haven’t had a single issue. Old charger kept changing to 48a and would cause the charger to go into over amp protection and be reset. Grizzl-e puts the truck properly at 40a with no issues.
The truck should remember the setting, though. Many EVSEs don't support setting amp limits on them, so the vehicle supporting (and remembering) the setting is vital.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The truck should remember the setting, though. Many EVSEs don't support setting amp limits on them, so the vehicle supporting (and remembering) the setting is vital.
Isn’t the EVSE sending the current level a part of the standard? I’m not an electrical engineer so I’m no expert, but I thought that was part of the standard and covered under the signaling under the wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Sounds to me like the EVSE is having issues and the manufacture needs to be reached out to

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
It is set to 50 Amps through the app and charges at 9.6 kW. I am just confused because you can set the charging speed within the truck, and I didn't know if it would try to pull more than my charger can output.
It won't. The truck won't override what the EVSE tells it the maximum it can output.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Isn’t the EVSE sending the current level a part of the standard? I’m not an electrical engineer so I’m no expert, but I thought that was part of the standard and covered under the signaling under the wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Sounds to me like the EVSE is having issues and the manufacture needs to be reached out to
EVSE and vehicle both tell each other what the maximum they support is, and the lowest common amperage is what is supplied.

Which, again, if you have a portable EVSE that doesn't support setting a lower-than-its-maximum-rating current limit, and a vehicle that doesn't support setting a current limit, you could be in trouble.

My Mach-E doesn't support setting a current limit. The Ford mobile charge cord doesn't support setting a current limit. (It only supports 12A on 120V, so *normally* this isn't a problem, but if you plug in to someone's garage that has a couple other items on the circuit... You can blow their breaker. Ask me how I know. 🤣 )

This is part of why I'm looking for a better mobile EVSE - so those times when I have to plug in to a circuit that I can't let it draw the full power of the socket, I'll still be able to charge without blowing a breaker.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yea, maybe a button option to remember / save it. I often plug into places where I set a charging limit, but then want to default it back to max on the next one.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Does anyone know what triggers the reset? Planning on parking for Thanksgiving and was going to set it to charge at 8amp while I'm away but it may be plugged in/unplugged a few times where I'm parking without me unlocking the car. Thanks!

Sponsored

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I just sent an email to Rivian customer service asking for a setting to be added to remember the charging amps based on geolocation. Teslas have had this going back to at least 2014 (when I got my first Tesla). It is vital in my garage where I have two 48 amp EV chargers but only 70 amp service to the detached garage. I want to set the Rivian to 32 or 40 amps (other car is set to 16 amps all the time) and have the Rivian remember whatever it is set to. If I want to charge at the max (48 amps), I can bump it up when (rarely) needed.

atrieger

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1s
2 years later, bug still not fixed in the Rivian.
Rivian: Persist the amp charging setting by geolocation. Here, I'll write the Jira for you...
Sponsored