First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Here's a comparison of the stock at darks vs the decals. 1st pic is oem, bottom my truck with decals.
Rivian R1T R1S Changed A/T Bright Wheels to Glossy Black using Vinyl Decals 20221003_131353
Rivian R1T R1S Changed A/T Bright Wheels to Glossy Black using Vinyl Decals 20221005_160431
Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Here's a comparison of the stock at darks vs the decals. 1st pic is oem, bottom my truck with decals.
20221003_131353.jpg
20221005_160431.jpg
Wow! That gunmetal looks pretty similar to the stock A/T Dark - though perhaps slightly less glossy?

I think A/T darks are technically some some of tint rather than gunmetal, but that's awfully close.

Looks great! Nice job.

I have no idea about longevity and I think wheels certainly take more of a beating, but I did black out the chrome trim on my Model 3 three years ago and I so no signs of wear.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I wouldn’t be able to tell the diff if I saw one on the road with the wrap vs stock darks. That looks great

Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Wow! That gunmetal looks pretty similar to the stock A/T Dark - though perhaps slightly less glossy?

I think A/T darks are technically some some of tint rather than gunmetal, but that's awfully close.

Looks great! Nice job.

I have no idea about longevity and I think wheels certainly take more of a beating, but I did black out the chrome trim on my Model 3 three years ago and I so no signs of wear.
Thanks! Yes its very close, less glossy would be correct. But the gunmetal decals do have a nice shine to them in the sun. Also it contrasts nicely with the gloss black portions. I was very surprised how well they turned out. Brainexploder killed it on these.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I wouldn’t be able to tell the diff if I saw one on the road with the wrap vs stock darks. That looks great
Agreed you can't tell till close up.

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
Thanks. I have a spare, so the kit actually cost me $100, but it's still significant savings.

It took a while, maybe 3-1/2 hours for the 4 mounted wheels? It's a lot of pieces. It took a while to get comfortable with the technique. I'd recommend a razor blade to help remove the decals from the paper. Phoenix is so damn dry, too, so I needed a lot of water. It's not perfect to be honest, but it's good enough. I used a heat gun at the end to fold over the edges as well.

It was a lot easier and faster to do the spare because it sat flat on the bed. I was pretty happy doing that, too, because I pulled out the camp speaker while doing it and then used the power outlets on the truck for my heat gun. Had a nice Rivian moment there :)

Yeah, durability is the big question, but it's pretty inexpensive to replace a piece if it come to that. I've done powder coating, too, in the past. The place I use locally is a bit more expensive at $250/wheel. They completely strip the wheel and apply the new color. Then they do a road force balance when re-mounting the tire. The local Tesla service centers here would send all their repairs to this shop, but they've been in business long before Tesla got to Phoenix. I'm not sure if that yellow Rivian strip on the wheel would survive powder coating.

On the Brain Exploder site, if you watch the installation video, he says the wrap holds up to washing as long as you "wipe with the shape of the wheel." 5:38 mark on the video.

We'll see how durable it is. I may end up powder coating in the future but this is a good inexpensive option for now.

I remember looking at the A/T dark pictures online - and I usually like black rims - and wondering why there was something I didn't like about them. Only until I saw close up photos did I realize it was the two-tone with tinted clear coat and that's why I personally was reluctant to pull the trigger on those. I personally really prefer the single color all glossy look, although I have also done satin black powder coat in the past and that works quite well, too.
what place in Phoenix did you use for powder coating? I’m looking for a good shop-

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Are there any wraps for the 21" tires without the aero cover? Was curious about how my truck would look with black.

Sponsored

Kavv

First Name
RivianMom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just did mine in gun metal. Looks way better than it should for 80 bucks. Let's see how it holds up. Great product, I would highly recommend.

20221005_160431.jpg
20221005_140439.jpg
20221005_160419.jpg
20221005_140451.jpg
Are these the Twrap gunmetal?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

how are the decals on the 20 AT holding up? put mine on a month ago and it looks solid still, no peeling of edges that i can see.

i love the look of the wheels now too. looks better than the stock 20AT imo.
Rivian R1T R1S Changed A/T Bright Wheels to Glossy Black using Vinyl Decals E0E6B9D2-D916-4A80-A21F-4832292D6982.JPG
Sponsored