First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Car wash mode used to stay enabled, with recent OTAs it shuts off after a period of time(?) as evident by the handles presenting.

I simply open a door and tap car wash mode again. I generally just need to do this once mid-wash.
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Just ran into this issue today. It's definitely annoying. Not sure if blasting the charge ports with a power washer is a good idea. I now have to be really careful around the door.

Hopefully this fix this OTA.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I had this happen to me the last two times I washed the car, including yesterday, and reported it to Rivian Service. Both times I was hand washing the truck. I think the truck deactivates Car Wash mode when it goes to sleep, because both times it happened to me when I got into the truck after the charge door opened from water, Car Wash mode was "off" even though I had activated it and had not deactivated it. As others have mentioned, you can just manually lock the car, but that sort of defeats the purpose of "car wash" mode.

I don't remember this happening when Car Wash mode first came out, so I think that one of the subsequent updates addressing vampire drain accidentally affected the ability for Car Wash mode to be "persistent" when going into sleep mode.

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Yea, either camp mode or pet mode will prevent the truck from going to sleep and disengaging car wash mode. But we treat it as if that mode is for automated washes only and just lock the truck and close the app before starting a hand wash. Has worked fine so far…

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
First, I’ve got the latest 10.1 software update.

I went to handwash the car yesterday for the first time and Thought I should put it in CWM to keep it from constantly locking and unlocking and draining battery.
So I get in the car, put it in CWM from the screen, all the handles close, I close the door and wash the car with success!

Problem came when I finished and used the app to “unlock” the handles. Nothing. Tried again; nothing. Used the unlock from the fob; nothing.

I thought to try to manually open the tailgate and prayed I could climb in and re-engage the car through the screen. I got the tailgate open…yeah! But went to touch the screen; nothing.

I then thought to tap the brake pedal. That woke up the screen and I was able to turn off CWM.

Can someone please tell me what did I do wrong here in using CWM?

TIA

Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

First, I’ve got the latest 10.1 software update.

I went to handwash the car yesterday for the first time and Thought I should put it in CWM to keep it from constantly locking and unlocking and draining battery.
So I get in the car, put it in CWM from the screen, all the handles close, I close the door and wash the car with success!

Problem came when I finished and used the app to “unlock” the handles. Nothing. Tried again; nothing. Used the unlock from the fob; nothing.

I thought to try to manually open the tailgate and prayed I could climb in and re-engage the car through the screen. I got the tailgate open…yeah! But went to touch the screen; nothing.

I then thought to tap the brake pedal. That woke up the screen and I was able to turn off CWM.

Can someone please tell me what did I do wrong here in using CWM?

TIA
You can manually open the door handle by pushing in the left end of the handle. The right end of the handle will pop out for you to grab and open the door.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
You can manually open the door handle by pushing in the left end of the handle. The right end of the handle will pop out for you to grab and open the door.
Duh! I just stood there looking at the handles pushing the “unlock” on my app. Thank you!

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

Duh! I just stood there looking at the handles pushing the “unlock” on my app. Thank you!
It's in the manual "
If the vehicle is in Car Wash mode, the exterior door handles don't present when unlocked. Push the front part
of the handle and then pull the handle to open the door." Which u can access from the app.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
It's in the manual "
If the vehicle is in Car Wash mode, the exterior door handles don't present when unlocked. Push the front part
of the handle and then pull the handle to open the door." Which u can access from the app.
This is one reason I just lock up for a hand-wash at home, where proximity lock is off.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
It's in the manual "
Can you set the handles to always work that way? I would prefer the handles to never extend.

Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I've seen the same thing - charging port opens when hand washing (phone in pocket), even while the handles are still recessed. Happened to me two washes in a row.

If I put it in Car Wash mode and then lock it, I don't see the same issue. I wonder if Car Wash mode is really intended for an occupied wash (e.g. driver in vehicle), not a self wash?
First and only time I use the car wash mode I was hand washing my truck at a self car wash area. Charge port opens randomly with water contact or just me wiping the area. Have to touch it again to close the charge port. This keeps going about 3-4 times on that session. If I remember correctly, the door also unlocks which it not supposed to happened.
Finally was able to get an appointment at the service center among other issues and according to them, car wash mode is only for car wash machine where your truck is being rolled through the car wash. And it is not intended for self car wash. Hmmm, I'm not sure about that but that was what they say and so they deleted that issue on my service request.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
First and only time I use the car wash mode I was hand washing my truck at a self car wash area. Charge port opens randomly with water contact or just me wiping the area. Have to touch it again to close the charge port. This keeps going about 3-4 times on that session. If I remember correctly, the door also unlocks which it not supposed to happened.
Finally was able to get an appointment at the service center among other issues and according to them, car wash mode is only for car wash machine where your truck is being rolled through the car wash. And it is not intended for self car wash. Hmmm, I'm not sure about that but that was what they say and so they deleted that issue on my service request.
If that's really what they intended, they would've made car wash mode automatically disengage the drive wheels so that it can be rolled through the car wash.

If you read the description in the manual, it's clear that they designed the functionality to disable the various things from activating that would normally activate as you moved around your vehicle washing it (door handles, charge port, proximity locks, etc.) along with a few things that are specific to being in an automated car wash (night mode lighting, for example).

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
If that's really what they intended, they would've made car wash mode automatically disengage the drive wheels so that it can be rolled through the car wash.

If you read the description in the manual, it's clear that they designed the functionality to disable the various things from activating that would normally activate as you moved around your vehicle washing it (door handles, charge port, proximity locks, etc.) along with a few things that are specific to being in an automated car wash (night mode lighting, for example).
I agree and I read that too on the description that is why I feel like the techs over there are not so helpful. I told them that one purpose of the car wash mode is to close the vents to prevent water entering but they say it will not if you’re only hand washing the truck. I wish there is another service center but only one here in the bay.
Sponsored