Can Rivian sell direct in NC?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I don’t think it’s so much getting one, if you did, then it still can’t be serviced in state. I made some great progress today in helping Rivian. More to come
I'm not sure any state can prohibit a service vehicle working on your vehicle in your driveway or picking your vehicle up on a flatbed and taking it out state.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I'm not sure any state can prohibit a service vehicle working on your vehicle in your driveway or picking your vehicle up on a flatbed and taking it out state.
Yes, this will be allowed. But, would Rivian do this?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think it's literally just the sales of the cars, no? Unless NC is different from other states that don't do direct sales. Example would be Texas. Tesla can't do direct sales in TX, but have a ton of service centers in Texas to service the cars in the state.
NC also prohibits manufacturers (except Tesla, which is grandfathered) from doing any "dealership activities", which includes maintenance and repairs.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Yes, this will be allowed. But, would Rivian do this?
It seems to actually be the model they want, though of course the closer the service center is to your house the cheaper the process. Though some service will of course be needed occasionally, anything requiring dropping the battery is likely to be done at a specialized place anyway.

That said, those of use having our liberty suppressed by those supposedly elected to look out for us need to keep the pressure on them.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I’ve been working with people at our state house. This is in reference to Rivian:
“The company is authorized for online sales; however, for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell.”

So no, no servicing will be allowed unless we are able to change the current law.
Man, that's unfortunate. Hopefully your state house helps you out and allows for servicing in state.

Sponsored

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

I have reached out to my state rep and senator here in Wake county. We're a bit far from easy access for Virginia and Tennessee borders for repairs. I worry about timing for van based service techs as well if they need to store vans and parts out of NC

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
gonna keep this on my radar - moving to Wake County next summer... hope I get my R1T before then, but think that is wishful thinking at the moment. Was on the fence between R1T and Lightning but since the fist mile event at the factory heavily leaning toward Rivian. Now, my options are:

Ford - forced to use dealer, many are price gouging [$9k above msrp...], unknown when will ship [15k first year starting mid year implies 2023...], ugly stories from Bronco/Mach-E rollout from dealers [not Ford]

Rivian - no service location from Wake County at least 4 hours in any direction? Only an issue if the truck has problems though... no indication yet but kinda glad I am not an LE holder anymore just in case. I would think if there were any major issues they would come out pretty quick.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I mean technically, from Wake Forest (northern Wake County) the nearest VA town is Bracey VA and it's 49 miles away or so. It's probably a speedbump of a town. South Hill is a little bigger with a whole 4349 people in it.

Could probably put the location there and service Raleigh pretty well.

The nearest Amazon Warehouse that I can find is in Prince George, VA which is about 111 miles.

So not quite four hours, but it's do-able albiet suckily.

I too have written both my representatives, they have yet to even acknowledge the message.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
gonna keep this on my radar - moving to Wake County next summer... hope I get my R1T before then, but think that is wishful thinking at the moment. Was on the fence between R1T and Lightning but since the fist mile event at the factory heavily leaning toward Rivian. Now, my options are:

Ford - forced to use dealer, many are price gouging [$9k above msrp...], unknown when will ship [15k first year starting mid year implies 2023...], ugly stories from Bronco/Mach-E rollout from dealers [not Ford]

Rivian - no service location from Wake County at least 4 hours in any direction? Only an issue if the truck has problems though... no indication yet but kinda glad I am not an LE holder anymore just in case. I would think if there were any major issues they would come out pretty quick.
I am going to say NC will be a very tough state for Rivian. Since the success of Tesla there has been a lot of lobbying by dealers to keep companies like Rivian and Lucid out. So much for true capitalism (that is a whole different discussion). At this point I think all dealerships have seen the writing on the wall and are fighting hard to keep the old model. The problem is the model is out of date as EV’s naturally require less maintenance. This is a big problem as dealerships make 70% of their revenue from maintenance and sell cars is basically the profit.

The current answer is no to selling AND servicing in NC. But hopefully we can see changes at the state level to create true competition.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
If you think that’s funny then you should read up on how hilarious most states protectionist laws bend over backwards to help regulated monopoly utilities.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
If you think that’s funny then you should read up on how hilarious most states protectionist laws bend over backwards to help regulated monopoly utilities.
And by going all EV look who wins.

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Rivian R1T R1S Can Rivian sell direct in NC? C20740A0-4D05-4510-AC1F-9B3314902701

From the video posted today for the IPO they had this service center map. Since rivian can’t operate service centers in NC or SC it looks like they are planning something. The north dot looks like maybe south hill VA area, which is only an hour and change from Raleigh. The lower two I can’t figure out.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
From the video posted today for the IPO they had this service center map. Since rivian can’t operate service centers in NC or SC it looks like they are planning something. The north dot looks like maybe south hill VA area, which is only an hour and change from Raleigh. The lower two I can’t figure out.
Looks like the Charlotte metro, and near Wilmington.

The South Hill VA location makes sense to me, since that seems the easiest/cheapest way to dispatch vans to the Triangle if you can't have them actually running out of NC. I wonder if Rivian can have the physical service center in South Hill but employ NC techs and the techs can keep their van at their NC home most nights to avoid the commute?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
C20740A0-4D05-4510-AC1F-9B3314902701.jpeg

Actually, that looks like Augusta, Charlotte, and Wilmington to me.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm just hoping that map isn't an indication of Rivian's navigation capabilities!

I was thinking the Greensboro area would make more sense as a base to cover Charlotte and the Triangle, but the Charlotte one and South Hill one make decent sense. Maybe it's really South Hill and Fort Mill as they're making better headway into getting a service center in SC than in NC.
Sponsored