Can Rivian sell direct in NC?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
If you live in NC and want a Rivian please call your state Congress representative & Senator.

I spoke this week my with Representative who did some research on Rivian’s ability to direct sell in NC. Below is some information he shared with me.

“I just finished speaking with the lobbyists that represent Rivian and they informed me that the current laws include language that’s specific for Tesla. Rivian is a recent client of theirs, so they are still analyzing what specifically is in their business model that goes against the current dealer laws in North Carolina. The company is authorized for online sales; however, for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell. With all of that being said, it would take a change in legislation to ensure that this does not occur.”
Sponsored

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
I'll be emailing today, it's "funny" to me how things are so backwards around direct vehicle sales...

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
The company is authorized for online sales; however, for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell. With all of that being said, it would take a change in legislation to ensure that this does not occur.”
Maybe time to reach out to any 1st Nation folks in the area. Most 1st Nations Peoples can act with some level of sovereignty and can put in place their own laws/regulations around these types of things.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I'll be emailing today, it's "funny" to me how things are so backwards around direct vehicle sales...
The old network of Automobile Dealers is very strong & influential

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
The old network of Automobile Dealers is very strong & influential
In NC's case, it's Hendrick that's most of the money

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

In NC's case, it's Hendrick that's most of the money
I don't know, Bruton Smith and the Sonic Dealership network ain't nothing to sneeze at, which makes it doubly bad...two mega dealership owners in the state!

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Maybe time to reach out to any 1st Nation folks in the area. Most 1st Nations Peoples can act with some level of sovereignty and can put in place their own laws/regulations around these types of things.
I posted this the other day in the SE area thread:
---------
I'm hoping they pull a Tesla and team up with the Catawba Indian Nation in York county, SC (I think it was NM where Tesla did this). (For those that don't know, York County borders NC to the south and is part of the Charlotte metropolitan area.) Rivian would be able to handle the almost 3mm people in that area from that location.
----------

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I posted this the other day in the SE area thread:
---------
I'm hoping they pull a Tesla and team up with the Catawba Indian Nation in York county, SC (I think it was NM where Tesla did this). (For those that don't know, York County borders NC to the south and is part of the Charlotte metropolitan area.) Rivian would be able to handle the almost 3mm people in that area from that location.
----------
I’m on it..thanks for the suggestions

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
If you live in NC and want a Rivian please call your state Congress representative & Senator.

I spoke this week my with Representative who did some research on Rivian’s ability to direct sell in NC. Below is some information he shared with me.

“I just finished speaking with the lobbyists that represent Rivian and they informed me that the current laws include language that’s specific for Tesla. Rivian is a recent client of theirs, so they are still analyzing what specifically is in their business model that goes against the current dealer laws in North Carolina. The company is authorized for online sales; however, for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell. With all of that being said, it would take a change in legislation to ensure that this does not occur.”
Time to book a road trip to the nearest state that allows direct sales and pick the car up from there, then drive it back to your home. Or the 1st Nations suggestion that some have mentioned will work too, if you can get them to help.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Time to book a road trip to the nearest state that allows direct sales and pick the car up from there, then drive it back to your home. Or the 1st Nations suggestion that some have mentioned will work too, if you can get them to help.
I don’t think it’s so much getting one, if you did, then it still can’t be serviced in state. I made some great progress today in helping Rivian. More to come

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I don’t think it’s so much getting one, if you did, then it still can’t be serviced in state. I made some great progress today in helping Rivian. More to come
I think it's literally just the sales of the cars, no? Unless NC is different from other states that don't do direct sales. Example would be Texas. Tesla can't do direct sales in TX, but have a ton of service centers in Texas to service the cars in the state.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I think it's literally just the sales of the cars, no? Unless NC is different from other states that don't do direct sales. Example would be Texas. Tesla can't do direct sales in TX, but have a ton of service centers in Texas to service the cars in the state.
I’ve been working with people at our state house. This is in reference to Rivian:
“The company is authorized for online sales; however, for vehicle pick up and servicing it seems that it would require the buyers that reside in states not authorized for direct sales to travel to a state where they are authorized to sell.”

So no, no servicing will be allowed unless we are able to change the current law.
Sponsored