Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As in use a cheater plug without the ground? I have one I've thought of trying, was planning on seeing if I could get around it but might have to it sounds like.
Basically, yeah, the truck thinks it's detecting a short. When I stuck a meter on mine last year the voltage to ground was split directly down the middle between the hot and neutral. Almost like it was a 240V inverter with two hot legs that was turned down to only produce 120V across the hots. I've been meaning to look at what inverter it actually is, but Rivian service has had my truck for weeks now for other issues. It would be amazing if it were just a matter of flipping a dip switch on the inverter and re-wiring to get 240V split phase out of it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Plugging my outlet tester in, it shows the Rivian outlet has open ground. Using my multimeter this morning, I get 60v from both Hot/Ground and Neutral/ground and 120v from Hot/Neutral. Since the plug bonds ground/neutral I imagine this is why the plug trips the breaker in the Rivian.
Yes, I think you have narrowed in on the problem. The Rivian's neutral is not neutral. That is probably going to cause a lot of problems for your intended use. I doubt anything you can do to the camper will solve this.

I would either give up on the idea or start looking into powering your own inverter from the trucks 12V (or 400V) DC.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes, I think you have narrowed in on the problem. The Rivian's neutral is not neutral. That is probably going to cause a lot of problems for your intended use. I doubt anything you can do to the camper will solve this.

I would either give up on the idea or start looking into powering your own inverter from the trucks 12V (or 400V) DC.
The truck powers my trailer without any issues, this is not a problem caused by the truck. Something with the trailer wiring is incorrect.

Evlar

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure Edition
Occupation
Dean
Has anyone figured this out yet? Specifically, how to use the R1T 120v outlets to charge a power bank while the power bank powers the camper?

I was disappointed to find that my new camper (just running AC and lights) would not work directly plugged to my Rivian. I installed a AC soft start, hoping it could power the compressor start up, but nope at 15k btu it's too much for my R1T to power. Damn shame as it powered my teardrop camper with a 5k btu just fine. No more summer boondock camping for me in FL. Sticking with the powered camp sites for now I suppose.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Are you experiencing this exact issue as well?

This post specifically seems to be a Gremlin in the way the camper is wired.

If you are experiencing an issue with the 120v to 12v charging leg not working it is probably an error with polarity or bonding between the systems
These larger "Power Stations" that have a built in charge converter usually have a processor that helps regulate the power draw, unfortunately, those processors are much more sensitive than things like a desk fan or blow dryer.
My first recommendation is to try a grounding bonding plug to see if if resolves connectivity between truck and other device

These have been proven and tested and examples of them being used to successfully charge other EVs from the bed outlet, or larger power banks can be found in the wild/ on Youtube/ in the Review sections of the product

Anecdotally, I have an old Anker Power Station plugged into 120v, with my 12v fridge plugged into that.
I run the outlets A couple times a day for an two hours, that is enough to top up that battery, and keep the fridge running 24/7.
No issues from the Anker in the energy from the plug.
Sponsored