Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Good afternoon! I thought I would reach out to those in BC who are eagerly awaiting your R1T or R1S and would like to connect. Who knows - perhaps sometime in the not so distant future we can have a gathering somewhere. Would love to hear who is out there and what your EV story is.

Me - Darcy - I live in Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast. I registered in April 2019 and am waiting for my R1S LE in Forest Green with Ocean interior. My wife has a Mini SE which is a full EV. Very good car to drive with very limited range. We have a Level 2 charger at home, bought and installed in the end for FREE with the various incentives and rebates through BC Hydro and Zap BC.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Just bought a house in Roberts Creek a few weeks ago, take possession in a week and a half! Going to do a full redo of the house wiring to bring it up to date as well as increase capacity for a level 2 charger for the future Rivian in my driveway :cool:

I preordered in June '19 and went for the Max pack R1T (so far black mountain interior El Cap Granite paint). I have no experience with owning an EV as yet. I chose the Rivian because I was frustrated with "adventure vehicles" currently available and wasn't interested in another gas pig rig. Rivian checked every box I wanted checked (price was a bit steep, but have moved past it).

I looked closer at the charging network map and just now noticed nothing on the Sunshine Coast, which doesn't really bother me, considering how small the area is and anything I do over there will be easily done after charging at home (Logging Roads here I come). It is nice to see they have charging locations on VI in Victoria, Mill Bay, and Nanaimo but they missed Tofino.

Does the incentive from BC hydro etc cover wiring to facilitate the charger, or just the charger itself?
Rivian R1T R1S British Columbia 1621456970749

OP
OP
DarcyL

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

I'm curious as to the source of that map - I remember the look but can't place it - as there are plenty of public Level 2 chargers on the Sunshine Coast. We even have 2 new Level 3 stations in Sechelt.

The BC Hydro rebate program covers a portion of the installation of a Level 2 charger only. The Zap BC program covered the charger but I just checked and it is no longer being funded.

LoneI2anger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Vancouverite hoping to run into you all one day! Currently in for a Forest Green R1S. Would be our first entry into EV world but been really looking forward for something to settle into for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
DarcyL

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

We will for sure have a gathering! I as well am in for a Forest Green R1S, Ocean interior.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Vancouver Island here myself, but in non COVID times I'm on the mainland somewhat frequently. Unsurprisingly, looks like there's quite the concentration of us around here, hopefully that means prioritized Canadian deliveries :D

Blue (or maybe yellow? or red? can't decide!) R1T, Black interior.

OP
OP
DarcyL

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Hey fellow BC'ers.

Does anyone think there is even a remote chance we will qualify for any EV incentives? I had hoped that I could buy a junker and get the ScrapIt BC incentive but our new toys are just too expensive. Our American friends don't know how lucky they are - $80K US ceiling for their Federal incentive and with an R1T starting at $97K CDN we are out of luck me thinks.

LoneI2anger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Well the "promise" of zero-emission vehicles by 2040 might help motivate things in the coming years. They increased home charging station rebates late last year as something...

Will be banking on trying to at least take advantage of a tax write off for EV use for business but in terms of rebates not holding my breath for any by next year unfortunately...

At least we're not in Saskatchewan where they're ADDING a yearly tax to EV drivers :rolleyes:

67greengt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche GT4
Maple Ridge BC - wife and I have reserved a Midnight Black R1S with black mountain interior (hoping the Max pack comes sooner rather than later) Adventure package, 22' wheels and all the accessories. We both do a fair bit of track driving and also fishing so the towing/range aspect is quite important to us. We have been off/on the fence of going through with the order. We both are anxious to see/touch the real truck determine build quality and overall value for the money. I'm don't think we are setup for charging in BC when you have a trailer behind you which presents a problem. Currently the 300mile range when towing full load wouldn't get us to the race track in Oliver on a charge and the 400 mile max pack would be tight. Backup is a Cayenne Hybrid, proven quality beautiful cars fun to drive and would have the range to get. We both would like to get away from a gas car but it needs to work for us.

Love to hear what you guys have planned for your trucks

Cheers
Tom

OP
OP
DarcyL

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Hey Tom. You clearly have adventure in your plans for your R1S. Having now experienced life with an EV for a year my only thought is that you have to have the mindset of stopping to charge at some point. This is the tradeoff from ICE's. Personally I think it is worth it to get off of fossil fuels.
For you - Maple Ridge to Oliver would need a quick stop in Hope and you are good.

OP
OP
DarcyL

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Three Rivians in Roberts Creek!!?? Say it ain't so. Or better to say - it might, maybe, probably is so.
Sponsored