Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

I charged at that Buc-Ees in Alabama last month for free from the Mercedes branded dispensers. I wanted to try out my A2Z adapter at the Superchargers but they were full. Not a soul at the Mercedes chargers towards the left. Worked hreat and $0.00 bill. I don;t know if those units were in a test mode for evaluation, but I would be surprised if they were still free Now.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Personal bias might have something to do with it? For decades, you make your living based on the fossil fuel industry. You'd be skeptical of a new form of propulsion that is only 5-7% of total market. And fast charger installation isn't exactly a low cost endeavor. Enter government incentives...
I mean there are probably smart people doing this analysis. The market is only 5-7% and maybe only 10% of those people charge at DCFC on a given day so that is only 0.5-0.7% of the market currently needing to stop.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I mean there are probably smart people doing this analysis. The market is only 5-7% and maybe only 10% of those people charge at DCFC on a given day so that is only 0.5-0.7% of the market currently needing to stop.
Unless you take a deeper dive. Larger and denser metro areas don't have single family homes with garages where chargers can be installed. And even in less dense cities, like ones here in Orange County, CA, because of skyrocketed real estate prices, instead of the traditional single family homes, developers favor multi-family complexes. And they are just as expensive. More profit per sq ft for the developer. Most EA sites are busy from morning until well after midnight. Lots of people simply can't charge at home. The rest could but choose not to (because of the free charging that came with their EV purchase). Why didn't some of these people buy ICE if they couldn't charge at home? CA fuel prices have always been among highest in the nation and the fuel tax the state adds to it doesn't help. Whenever oil spikes on the international market, CA is usually first to peak and least to ease. And that's because it's a large captive audience and easy money for the oil companies.

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

It always amazes me that places like Buc-ee's or large rest stops aren't all over adding endless stalls of superchargers or DCFC. You're more likely to gain retail sales from someone that will be parked there for 20-30 minutes versus someone pumping gas for only a few.
Landlords should be pushing for this as well. If I was the owner of a some of these massive strip malls (Target, Wegmans, Stop and Shop, etc etc) with the other places for breakfast lunch dinner, I would want a dozen chargers so people would spend money in my spaces.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

BP when the SC’s don’t C:

Rivian R1T R1S BP hiring ex-Tesla Supercharger employees, possible purchase of Superchargers 1715300834794-jp

Sponsored

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
It always amazes me that places like Buc-ee's or large rest stops aren't all over adding endless stalls of superchargers or DCFC. You're more likely to gain retail sales from someone that will be parked there for 20-30 minutes versus someone pumping gas for only a few.
👍🏼😎

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have used Superchargers at Bucees, this is an old thread talking about 26 locations, not sure of how many they have completed or if it was expanded.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I read Walmart is doing that. I hope so. More the merrier.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

A few min fill-up? Ha, whatever. My first visit to bucees on the way back north, we get routed to this monster of an oasis you can see from miles away. Cars/trucks backed up all the way to the freeway ramp. I realize they are all waiting in line for GAS. I pull around, pop in the back entrance to the supercharger, plug in. I use the restroom grab a sandwich, browse the jerky. I'm out just as those freeway exit cars are trying to find a free pump. Obviously not always the standard case experience. But in that moment, the irony was not lost on me the inconvenience of getting gas sometimes. Looking at you too Costco..... I could be in there shopping for a TV I don't need while supercharging instead of wrapping around the lot trying to save 8 cents a gallon.
Sponsored

Last edited: