Sponsored

Bored, and anxious for a test drive

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Anyone else on the preorder list feeling antsy? The New York Times profile of RJ was nice but I’m ready for another major announcement by Rivian. A test drive program, the launch of the order configurator, etc... Even some sign of major progress at the factory would be welcome. I realize maintaining “buzz” over this lengthy period is tough, but they’re the ones that have whet customer appetite with their outstanding vehicle designs — makes it hard to remain patient. Oh well, more time to keep putting savings away for when the time DOES come.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I look forward to any & all news. I have to keep telling myself that it's likely 18 months out (December preorder), and to try to be patient.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Yes, we're having a hard time waiting, too. Everywhere we go for a nature photo-shoot we say, "Now, if we had the Rivian we could go there." Can't get it soon enough.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
I’m with folks on the bored. I’m debating this and a more affordable wrangler. Playing with the builder is so much fun and keeps my interest with the wrangler.

The Rivian is of course everything I would want in a car but the potential cost to make how I want and the depreciation along with the long droughts of anything Rivian while waiting pull me back to making my wrangler.

I’m all about saving the world but I wonder if for the price of the Rivian I can buy my wrangler, bumpers, side steps, rhino rack, roof top tent, aux battery system, extended warranty, and still have 20k left over.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Yes George, sometimes a budget really gets in the way, but in the long run you will save money with an electric vehicle. AND, when it really comes down to it, an electric car is just a better car. After driving electric for about 3 years now, I will never dump money into a combustion vehicle again. The many benefits of an electric are superior.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I’m with folks on the bored. I’m debating this and a more affordable wrangler. Playing with the builder is so much fun and keeps my interest with the wrangler.

The Rivian is of course everything I would want in a car but the potential cost to make how I want and the depreciation along with the long droughts of anything Rivian while waiting pull me back to making my wrangler.

I’m all about saving the world but I wonder if for the price of the Rivian I can buy my wrangler, bumpers, side steps, rhino rack, roof top tent, aux battery system, extended warranty, and still have 20k left over.
Good god, the last thing on my mind is saving this god forsaken planet. The sooner man is gone the better. You have it right about the negatives with buying a Rivian. I'm holding a reservation but if you want the Wrangler as much as you want the Rivian you would be happier going for the Wrangler. The excitement of a new vehicle is long gone in 6 months anyway.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@DocTwinkie ,
I'm a huge Jeep guy. Finances alone might push you to a Jeep.

However, it's the performance & all around utility that will keep me with Rivian. I know they are expensive, but I still see value in comparison with what I would get with Tesla, or even other ICE luxury trcks/SUVs.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the advice all. Yeah. I’m keeping my options open until order time. I was one of the first reservations right at auto show time. By the time the Rivian is avail I’ll have to weigh a lot.

Sometimes I think wow this car can do almost anything. Other times I think are you crazy you could solar panel the house for what you’d save not buying it and get one cheaper in 5 or 10 years when prices drop. Jeeps at least I know hold their value. But then the shiny of that Rivian catches your eye. Who knows. Maybe I’ll win the lottery while waiting and get both. Lol.

In the meantime waiting for that Rivian builder and playing with the Jeep one.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For those of you who seem to be on the proverbial fence, at what point do you walk away? And if I may retort. Did you expect anything differently pre-ordering a vehicle from a company that has never mass-produced a vehicle before and has already given you an expected delivery date of the END of 2020? For those that care, I sold my 2017 Titan Pro-4X and have started my EV experience in a humble 2016 Chevy SparkEV knowing full well that I would be driving in that rollerskate for 18ish months. I would much rather be in my Titan size-wise, but I love the non-existent payment in the Spark. The Spark is a fun to drive. Over 300lb-ft of torque. The R1T, on the other hand, is going to be a freaking blast to drive. Good things come to those that wait...I think President Trump said that.

Last edited:

cllc

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, Subaru Forrester, Ford F250 Superduty
Occupation
Electrician
If I did not have my model 3 to play with in the mean time the wait on the Rivian would be more torcherous than it is. That said, I'm am so looking forward to it for my wife sake, and every time we trade cars for the day I wind up pumping gas into her Subaru Forrester.... ugh.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
The excitement of a new vehicle is long gone in 6 months anyway.
So funny you say this. The more reading I’ve done on the concept of the “hedonic treadmill” the more I know you are 100% right. We all have our baseline level of happiness, and no matter the car we buy or the stuff we have, we’ll inevitably revert to that place. So...spending $100k on a Rivian will be a quick jolt...but it will wear off like our cars always do.

Hell - the Kia Telluride looks awesome, and dare I say somewhat similar...but I still want the R1S and I can totally rationalize getting it :)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree in large part with the hedonic treadmill, but there are three exceptions to that, for me at least. All three I appreciate on a daily basis...1) my home, 2) my mattress, and 3) vehicles that I really enjoy.
Sponsored