First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
82 cents/kwh is crazy high and they are likely just catching people before they realize the pricing. The pricing is posted and it is the consumers responsibility to understand the details and pricing, so they are being up front. It's crap and we all need to be on the look out for these types of site to stay more informed.

This type of pricing is what worries about 3rd party managed sites that set their pricing. If more and more charging networks become hardware companies that rely on 3rd parties to manage sites and set pricing, it's probably going to get worse, particularly in metropolitan areas, congested areas, or remote areas that bridge a gap.
Sponsored

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Do they believe they are the "only game in town" for their selected install locations? No question that it's excessive pricing.
Yes, location, location, location.

They paid up for the best location, for ICE or EVs, and can reap the benefits as the ubiquitous vehicle trip algorithms funnel all the traffic there without lifting a finger. And they probably get a preferential placement in GM vehicle nav systems.

The NYS Thruway has (or will soon have) DCFC charging at every rest area. Isn’t that worth a premium for the convenience? I might not like the price but plugging in at a rest area means I can drive 340 miles to Boston without any other charging stops.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Before a 3600 mile trip in Apr, I signed up for the premium accounts on EA and EVGo. But I discovered on PlugShare that the GM network locations at Pilot and Flying J don't honor the EVGo discount pricing, and they these locations were charging $0.65/kWh. I thought that was bad until I read this post. I avoided all the GM network sites, but stayed aware of them as backups.
More frustrating is that many or most of these new Pilot & Flying J locations are being funded, in part, by federal NEVI dollars.
Note that the on-board Rivian nav doesn't differentiate an EVGo on the GM network and one on the EVGo network. So you need to do some mission planning on PlugShare to know which is which.
Can't wait for my NACS adapter to arrive!

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Yikes, that is some insane pricing. It's obviously their right to set pricing how they want, but it's good to beware to avoid those chargers.

Prices seem to have gone up across all networks in the past year. I'm fine with that to some degree, as they clearly didn't factor in maintenance costs when everyone was charging ~$0.35/kWh. I'd rather see ~$0.5/kWh with well maintained chargers than ~$0.35 with consistently broken chargers.

What I'd really like to see in ABRP or Rivian nav is a slider to balance between planning for quickest arrival vs. expected charging cost. You can move the slider all the way to "quickest arrival" when that's important, or slide it a couple notches towards "lowest cost" when you have more time. This would give the charging providers the right incentives to balance price with amenities.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

82 cents/kwh is crazy high and they are likely just catching people before they realize the pricing. The pricing is posted and it is the consumers responsibility to understand the details and pricing, so they are being up front. It's crap and we all need to be on the look out for these types of site to stay more informed.

This type of pricing is what worries about 3rd party managed sites that set their pricing. If more and more charging networks become hardware companies that rely on 3rd parties to manage sites and set pricing, it's probably going to get worse, particularly in metropolitan areas, congested areas, or remote areas that bridge a gap.
Prices should be posted on a sign just like at gas stations.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Charged at an EVgo yesterday with 56 cent pricing. Used BLuedot for the flat 30 cent discount price at EVgo. Actually was only billed 12.3 cents/kwh.
If you plan to charge at EVgo I highly recommend signing up for Bluedot

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Once I pick up my truck....I plan on "filtering" out all chargers except for Tesla and Rivian Adventure Network. Stupid ? Perhaps, but dang at that price I might as well be driving a Raptor.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Once I pick up my truck....I plan on "filtering" out all chargers except for Tesla and Rivian Adventure Network. Stupid ? Perhaps, but dang at that price I might as well be driving a Raptor.
I do this already so I don’t think it’s stupid at all! The two have a very good distribution, the prices are comparable or less than EA with better up time, and nicer amenities. My only complaint is you have to start charging via the Tesla app if you want membership discounts.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I do this already so I don’t think it’s stupid at all! The two have a very good distribution, the prices are comparable or less than EA with better up time, and nicer amenities. My only complaint is you have to start charging via the Tesla app if you want membership discounts.
Not a hassle at all to initiate charge with app. It’s exactly what is required at EA and EVgo. Hold phone, couple taps—something we all do multiple times per day and while visiting this forum. 42 cents /kWh at my local TSC last night. If I had waited 40 minutes later it would have been 27 cents.

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it price gouging or just business as usual?

Almost all gas stations right on the interstates like most Pilot/Flying Js charge $0.10-0.50 more per gallon of gas for the convenience. Drive another half mile off the interstate and fuel way cheaper.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
This is an unnecessary expense at this point in the game because unplanned DC charging stops are incredibly rare. You're going to be using an app where the prices are clearly listed to plan your stops ahead of time so a sign would be pretty much useless.

I do think that signs would help to normalize EVs and will only start to be useful when there are multiple charging stations at an exit.

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've actually never used EVgo, but would agree that prices should be displayed more prominently in apps and at stations with screens. It should be clear what you are paying per kWh (or min where allowed) before you start charging.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
kl
Charged at an EVgo yesterday with 56 cent pricing. Used BLuedot for the flat 30 cent discount price at EVgo. Actually was only billed 12.3 cents/kwh.
If you plan to charge at EVgo I highly recommend signing up for Bluedot
I rarely use DCFC since I charge 99% of the time at home or at the RAN in Delaware. But occasionally I use EVGo since they are prevalent in my area but I find them to be expensive - I paid around $0.55 the last time I used EVGo. I was not aware of Bluedot, I am going to investigate and probably set up an account.

For those who have not heard of Bluedot, this is from their web site's FAQ area.

Edit: Be sure to read their privacy policy. It is similar to other apps, they will use your personal data for various purposes that you may or may not like.

Bluedot is a financial technology company that aims to improve the EV-driving and charging experience for electric car drivers. The Bluedot App allows users to find and charge their car at thousands of charging stations, earn points for charging and running errands, track expenses, and more. It serves as a convenient and efficient companion for electric car drivers.

Bluedot Card allows electric car users to perform DC charging at a fixed price of $0.30 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) or receive 20% cashback. It also offers high cashback rates in many categories, making it a popular choice among electric car users. The Bluedot Card for electric car users is a useful tool for those who frequently use electric vehicles and want to save money on charging and other expenses.

You can manage the details of your card expenditures using the Bluedot App, as well as start charging directly at the stations with the Bluedot App.

Last edited:

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer

Almost all gas stations right on the interstates like most Pilot/Flying Js charge $0.10-0.50 more per gallon of gas for the convenience. Drive another half mile off the interstate and fuel way cheaper.
That's, at most, a 15-20% premium.

I've used the one south of Knoxville, TN, and it was $0.56/kWh. Now it looks to be $0.67/kWh. Compare that to the non-discounted Tesla supercharger near me (also TVA power) at $0.45/kWh. That's a near 50% premium.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

The pricing is highly dependent on the area and what other competition is around. I've found a number of big gas stations right off the interstate that are the cheapest around, and by a good margin, because they're actively competing against other stations a mile or two up the road. Billboards for multiple stations highlight the price miles away. Sometimes even 30+ miles.

Long term I hope that Rivian (and other EV makes) will provide several options for routing and charging stops: 1) Fastest total travel time 2) Fewest stops 3) Total cost.
Sponsored