Bed step

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Maybe I missed something, but where are we going to be able to step up to grab something from the bed or to secure something down? I know they advertise the gear tunnel doors are steps you can stand on to secure items if using the roof rails, but what about the truck bed? Sure you can just step on the rear tires, but there's got to be a better integrated way right?

Rivian R1T R1S Bed step tailgate
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Maybe I missed something, but where are we going to be able to step up to grab something from the bed or to secure something down? I know they advertise the gear tunnel doors are steps you can stand on to secure items if using the roof rails, but what about the truck bed? Sure you can just step on the rear tires, but there's got to be a better integrated way right?

tailgate.png
Have wondered if there will be a step solution involving the gooseneck hinge on the tailgate but have not seen anything like that. There is an issue here, for sure.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Not ideal, but there are aftermarket steps you can buy that attach via the trailer hitch.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

tailgate.png
Well when the bed opened 180 degrees, there were steps integrated into the bed...but designs change and ideas get scrapped and we roll with the punches...

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

The 180 tailgate with a step integrated was a nice solution. When that got taken away paired with the already narrow bumper, to enable 180 drop, it basically made it impossible to access the bed from the rear with the tailgate up or down. Design change should also have added a step on the bumper.

Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Never realized this. Hnnn, that's a head scratcher. Made sense with the 180 degree tailgate but now that seems like a serious oversight. This got me kind of rethinking the R1T all of the sudden :confused:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This one has me thrown for a loop. I know to each their own, but if people are actually contemplating going with another vehicle over no bed step...

1. You could always open the gear tunnel, step onto the door, then step into the bed.
2. Squat the truck, open the tailgate, and step up onto the tailgate.
3. Sit down on the bed and swing your legs in, then stand up.
4. With your $7500 FTC, but a collapsible step stool that fits neatly into the gear tunnel, frunk, or spare tire compartment, unless you opt to pay for the spare tire that isn't included in your state(unless mandatory by your state)
5. Wait for the 2024 Rivian R3T that has the 180° tailgate with integrated steps, electrochromic all-glass roof, LIDAR, Level 5 ADAS, real animal leather seating surfaces, solid-state batteries, and everything else that is apparently "missing" from this truck.

:D

All jokes aside. While that is a bummer that there are no steps in the bed, we must adapt and overcome or buy the HummerEV with its $7,000 bed with speakers, a light bar, and 3 folding steps and that sweet lunar theme...I look at it as a win-win for me... fewer things to break.

Last edited:

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
This one has me thrown for a loop. I know to each their own, but if people are actually contemplating going with another vehicle over no bed step...
While I pretty much agree with your statement, I am endeavoring to look at this as a matrix equation.

A tailgate step or 180 isn't a litmus test for me, its definitely weighted medium. As an $$$$ adventure truck, loading gear is a big part of the usage.

Its those little annoyances that can grate on you, at what point to the compromises outweigh the performance. A very personal measurement for sure.

All that being said, I am emotionally invested in buying the R1T, I thinks it is fantastic so I am often trying to talk myself out of it to make sure I am not blinded by truck envy.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

While I pretty much agree with your statement, I am endeavoring to look at this as a matrix equation.

A tailgate step or 180 isn't a litmus test for me, its definitely weighted medium. As an $$$$ adventure truck, loading gear is a big part of the usage.

Its those little annoyances that can grate on you, at what point to the compromises outweigh the performance. A very personal measurement for sure.

All that being said, I am emotionally invested in buying the R1T, I thinks it is fantastic so I am often trying to talk myself out of it to make sure I am not blinded by truck envy.
100%

It is also something that I believe most become "blinded" by. They see the integrated steps in the bumper of the GM trucks, or the crazy 6-way tailgate of the Sierra/HummerEV, or the popout ladder on the F-150 and then wonder why they aren't getting that in a $75,000 truck.

While the 6-way tailgate and popout ladder would work in the case with Rivian, the integrated steps in the bumper sides would create unnecessary drag, breakup the sexy lines, and by a large portion of owners never used.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Never realized this. Hnnn, that's a head scratcher. Made sense with the 180 degree tailgate but now that seems like a serious oversight. This got me kind of rethinking the R1T all of the sudden :confused:
I just want to say I love your avatar. I wish I could have that as a tin sign to hang in my garage.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
5. Wait for the 2024 Rivian R3T that has the 180° tailgate with integrated steps, electrochromic all-glass roof, LIDAR, Level 5 ADAS, real animal leather seating surfaces, solid-state batteries, and everything else that is apparently "missing" from this truck.
LOL, love it! Are preorders open for that one?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On another note, I think this thread exemplifies generational & culture change. I grew up with pickup trucks without bed steps...oh, the horror! If you can climb, hike, bike, kayak, or undertake any sort of "adventure", then you should be able to load/unload or even get yourself up into the back of a subservient truck that even kneels for you.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
That was my thought... I haven't owned a pickup in over ten years, but I've never had one with any sort of step or ladder or whatever. Some friends have pickups and I think I've seen bumper steps, but they are at the same height as the tire.

I guess we all have our hot buttons when it comes to usability.

OP
OP
Pedritho

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
On another note, I think this thread exemplifies generational & culture change. I grew up with pickup trucks without bed steps...oh, the horror! If you can climb, hike, bike, kayak, or undertake any sort of "adventure", then you should be able to load/unload or even get yourself up into the back of a subservient truck that even kneels for you.
Just to be clear, the 180 drop tailgate would have been a really cool feature to have, but definitely not necessary. The bed step that I was referring to though, to help with loading the truck bed up with climbing, hiking, biking, kayaks and any other adventure related gear is indicated in the Tacoma below. Surely that is not a generational or cultural change...

Rivian R1T R1S Bed step Taco ste

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretend the tailgate is a box jump & your gear is a medicine ball. Increase level of difficulty by raising the air suspension and/or increasing gear size or weight.

Problem solved, and your cross fit friends will be impressed.
Sponsored