(Bed) size matters

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Those silver anchors in the bed are for the roof rack bars, if you needed to elevate a load over the wheelwell bumps.

I'm curious how much weight the tailgate could support. Due to the 180 degree capability, it lacks the support cables that traditional tailgates have.
That is a question I have as well. I occasionally transport my sport touring motorcycle (600+ lbs) in the bed of my Canyon with the rear tire sitting on the leading edge of the open tailgate. As the R1T bed is shorter (according to all specs currently available) the rear tire is going to be about in the center of the tailgate. Strength is definitely a concern.
Sponsored

utilisaurus

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hybrid highlander, F-150 extra cab 8' bed, leaf
Occupation
retired builder
@jfrench Ha, I'm not all hot and bothered, but thank you for responding in a delicate/measured way. I probably need to work on my word choice if that is how I came across. I was just trying to frame both sides of the discussion in saying "any sayers". The reality is I have a little bit of buyers remorse right now over my Ram. When my F150 died I needed to buy another truck on relatively short notice, even though I had already submitted an order for the Rivian. In my haste I grabbed a Ram with a 5' bed even though I had a 6' bed on the F150 because I thought it wouldn't make much difference. Well, I'm coming up on a year of ownership now and can confirm that I was wrong, a foot makes a very big difference. During my ownership I've had to do a couple of remodeling projects on my houses, made a couple of atv excursions, done some atv and jetski combo weekends, and needed transport my motorcycle and 50cc scooter a bunch of times so I got very acquainted with the bed, and it's limitations. Not only do most toys not fit with the bed closed, simple things like a ramp or small ladder don't either. Even bicycles and my scooter have to be kept at an angle. I have a cargo trailer but it is not appropriate for routine short trips, and it eliminates the ability to pull any watercraft on that trip. Now, I just want to undo my decision at the next opportunity but am disappointed that Rivian will not solve my problem, and in fact it will make it worse. I don't work with my hands but I rely heavily on my truck to support my active weekends. I really want all of the awesomeness that the R1T brings to the table but I really need for it to be just a little bit bigger to fit my lifestyle. I don't want to be the glutton that needs to keep two trucks in order to get the Rivian experience, hence my lobbying via this post, but that is what it is shaping up to look like.
I, too, lament the impending extinction of the full size pick up. My F-150 8' bed (w/ camper shell) extra cab is stuffed to capacity when I head to the river w/ my raft for expeditions. If it's raining and I need something like a door, or finished plywood, or sheetrock, it's protected. I get it, though, there's just not enough of us dinosaurs to warrant keeping an assembly line moving. So I'm looking at other options for my guilty pleasures and utility. Thinking that the R1S or Tesla's Model X and pulling a trailer is probably the way to go. Then I can retire my Hybrid Highlander, and drive the F-150 just enough to keep the seals supple. BTW, the Tesla Cyber truck has a 78" bed with the tailgate up which is considerably more useful than the Rivian's.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I completely understand that many people want a cheap electric pickup truck that handles all of their specific use cases. Problem is, Rivian isn't trying to build a low cost general purpose pickup that works for everyone. If they did, they would drive far more orders than their startup is prepared to deliver at first. Thus, initially, they have chosen to tackle a very niche subset of the market. If the product they are building doesn't work for you, unfortunately you may have to wait for Ford or Chevy to deliver an electric option. Or hopefully a future Rivian model will offer the longer bed you desire at a time when they are prepared to deliver hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year instead of mere tens of thousands.

Towing a trailer would certainly be another option for items that won't fit in the R1T bed but this obviously doesn't work for those planning to use the bed and tow a trailer at the same time.
Trailer towing is important to me and is one reason I selected a Rivian. I can tow my boat to the lake, my horses to the trial and my 16 ft flatbed can haul a vehicle or anything from Home Depot or Lowes.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Trailer towing is important to me and is one reason I selected a Rivian. I can tow my boat to the lake, my horses to the trial and my 16 ft flatbed can haul a vehicle or anything from Home Depot or Lowes.
If my needs were like yours I would be driving a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and a 38 gallon tank. I'm just wanting the R1T because I want it. No need for the truck. Had a few trucks in my life but no real need. I"m just concerned that I will go through hell as early Tesla owners have. What I drive now never sees the shop except for service. I don't want to save the world.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
If my needs were like yours I would be driving a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and a 38 gallon tank. I'm just wanting the R1T because I want it. No need for the truck. Had a few trucks in my life but no real need. I"m just concerned that I will go through hell as early Tesla owners have. What I drive now never sees the shop except for service. I don't want to save the world.
I currently own a GMC Sierra crew cab for towing, It has the 5.7 V8 and is very reliable, even with 170K miles. My point is, even though the bed of the Rivian is 1 foot shorter, it is not a big deal to me, since I already have trailers for hauling longer stuff. I am thinking that I may very well hold on to my GMC for a while, even after getting the Rivian, that way I have a backup for towing in case of any reliability issues. If I did not have the trailers for hauling, then I would worry about the short bed.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
...that way I have a backup for towing in case of any reliability issues.
Dang, spending $60k to $100k AND having to keep a "backup" for reliability would be disappointing.

cjwolf100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Game Developer
I concur that the 55 inch bed is too small. that equals 139 CM which won't allow me to place my skis and bikes in the back. The Ford Raptor's bed size is 66".

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I am glad to see this discussion so we all can get it off our chests so to speak. I am also a little skeptical of the bed length in the Rivian, but I do appreciate the shorter overall length of the truck. I heard that the bed shortness was related to providing that gear tunnel which is largely "geared" for the camping and skiing market not the working truck folks. You could put some tools in that thing but it doesn't look that convenient to get at them. I will bet there will be a lot of unthought uses for it when I actually get my truck.. At the very least 4'-7" should allow plywood to ride with the tailgate up and balance alright. I have carried it that way in my old ford rangers and Jeep pickup trucks forever so it should work even in 4'-7". Now for hauling big butt atvs and such that is another matter. Will have to be trailered in this vehicle or get the Telsa CT if you can stand the looks which I surely cannot. I bet dirt bikes will ride in the bed with the tailgate down and mountain bikes too !

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
That is a question I have as well. I occasionally transport my sport touring motorcycle (600+ lbs) in the bed of my Canyon with the rear tire sitting on the leading edge of the open tailgate. As the R1T bed is shorter (according to all specs currently available) the rear tire is going to be about in the center of the tailgate. Strength is definitely a concern.
Hey guys I just rewatched a video on Youtube from an auto show "fullychargedshow". The blokes sounded like they were from the UK. Anyway they demonstrated the electric tailgate and there are cables attached in the traditional 90 degree position. Looks like you disengage them manually or automatically and they retract out of view for the full 180 degree movement. Pretty slick. With tailgate down they said 2.1 m which equals about 82-5/8" total length. Looks like it would work for fairly heavy motorcycle rear wheel !

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The Rivian is a toy that we all want but the Ford F-250 with the Carli suspension is the package for get out and do it guy along with the four wheel camper. The first two videos really put it together. You will never do this with electric.

https://carlisuspension.com/

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Never, is a very long time. So, why can't we ever do this with a BEV? Let's say the cost of batteries is $50 per kwh, the density is double today's current batteries and charging is 40% faster. Would you still say you can't do this with a BEV?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Never, is a very long time. So, why can't we ever do this with a BEV? Let's say the cost of batteries is $50 per kwh, the density is double today's current batteries and charging is 40% faster. Would you still say you can't do this with a BEV?
I'll drop the never and say you can't match the capabilities of my examples if you want to do this sort of adventure in the immediate future.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
When you say support pieces are you referring to something to support the rearmost part of the sheetgoods, that hang beyond the tailgate?

My first plan would be to lay a 4x8 piece of plywood with some 2x4s underneath running lengthwise to support the weight and stiffen the plywood. I figure that would be good for drywall.
Not sure why people are concerned with carrying plywood flat. Very few pickups on the road can do that unless it is a dedicated work truck which is a bear to park or drive in the city. I have often put a half dozen or more sheets of plywood in a short bed pickup with the tailgate up when I worked as a cabinet maker. At 4'-7" you could easily fit 4x8 sheets in there and not worry about them coming out as you are with a tailgate down.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Interestingly, in the design features video posted yesterday, the designer talked about the bed floor brackets for inserting the Rivian racks which are 3-way adjustable. They will fit the pickup rails at the widest, the cab roof which is narrower, and the pickup bed which is the narrowest setting. So, in effect, there's no need for putting 2 x 4s in the bed to support sheetrock when transporting rock with the tailgate down. Or, as jimrichard suggests, carry them at an angle with the tailgate up.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
100 percent on a foot longer bed. Why I went with the R1s. If I can't even throw my skis in the bed then what's the point
Sponsored