(Bed) size matters

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
100 percent on a foot longer bed. Why I went with the R1s. If I can't even throw my skis in the bed then what's the point
Wouldn't they fit in the gear tunnel?
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
100 percent on a foot longer bed. Why I went with the R1s. If I can't even throw my skis in the bed then what's the point
Roof racks work just fine.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Roof racks work just fine.
The point of a pickup is not to have to screw with a rack or a box. I ski 80 plus days a year and my box rides all winter on my Land Rover with my skis inside. If I had them on a rack where it rains 90 percent of the time my ski edges and bindings would get rusted in 2 weeks. Being able to throw my dirty skis in a covered bed or gear tunnel would have been a huge bonus. They are too far down the road to make design changes at this point so it is pointless really to get frustrated about it.

Sponsored

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Unfortunately no. Most skis are 180 plus.. I emailed them about it.
Roof rack or roof rack transferred to the bed should work. Bet they offer an attachment just for skis.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
The point of a pickup is not to have to screw with a rack or a box. I ski 80 plus days a year and my box rides all winter on my Land Rover with my skis inside. If I had them on a rack where it rains 90 percent of the time my ski edges and bindings would get rusted in 2 weeks. Being able to throw my dirty skis in a covered bed or gear tunnel would have been a huge bonus. They are too far down the road to make design changes at this point so it is pointless really to get frustrated about it.
Buy a box to house your skis that fit to your rack. That way they will be safe from the weather.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I guess you really can't please everyone... the problem with a longer truck is that it affects off road ability. If you extend the wheelbase you affect break-over angle, if you just extend the bed you affect departure angle.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
As long as the tailgate can be left open and they have tie downs and/or a bed extender set up I'll be fine.

Just hope the tailgate can hold a couple hundred pounds (600-1000lbs).

Jpoel59

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P90D 2016, Tacoma 4x4 double cab long bed 2020
Occupation
President
The truck needs at least a 6 foot bed to work for me. I had a Tacoma with a five foot bed, and my surfboards stuck up in the air like a wind sail. I ended up,getting another one with the 6 foot bed. That’s the ticket.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I concur that the 55 inch bed is too small. that equals 139 CM which won't allow me to place my skis and bikes in the back. The Ford Raptor's bed size is 66".
Am i missing something? Put your skis at a diagonal in the bed guys. The bed is 51" v 54". You should be able to fit 188 cm skis at a diagonal across the bed flat. If you have longer skis, you may need to prop them up a bit height wise. But I don't see why you would need a roof rack for skis unless you're 6'7" and rocking some 200+ cm skis.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
The bed is 51" v 54". You should be able to fit 188 cm skis at a diagonal across the bed flat.
By the pythagorean theorem 51" by 54" yields a diagonal of 74.28" or 188.66 cm for those that didn't want to do the math.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Sure, I'd like a six foot bed and a higher load capacity to accommodate a slide-in camper...but it is what it is and I'm still going to get one (with a trailer/camper instead of a slide-in). BTW: the bed on the EV hummer is 5 ft., so not much difference there.

A bed extender such as has been available for the Honda Ridgeline would be a nice option, though.

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
By the pythagorean theorem 51" by 54" yields a diagonal of 74.28" or 188.66 cm for those that didn't want to do the math.
In calculating placement on the diagonal, one needs to take into consideration the width and length of the item.
Sponsored