Sponsored

Bed Extender?

E_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hello all. I see the mention that the size of the bed is longer when the tailgate is down which includes some neat extension slide out. However, without some sort of cage or ability to securely strap at the tailgate, its only longer when not moving. I have reached out to Rivian but havent heard back in a while now.

Is there a bed extender cage or other strap/hook system to secure longer objects with the tailgate down and driving?

thanks

Rivian R1T R1S Bed Extender? rivian-r1t-swing-and-drop-tailgate-design-patent
Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Hello all. I see the mention that the size of the bed is longer when the tailgate is down which includes some neat extension slide out. However, without some sort of cage or ability to securely strap at the tailgate, its only longer when not moving. I have reached out to Rivian but havent heard back in a while now.

Is there a bed extender cage or other strap/hook system to secure longer objects with the tailgate down and driving?

thanks

rivian-r1t-swing-and-drop-tailgate-design-patent.jpg
Tailgate doesn't fold like that in production vehicles. Flat like other trucks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Here is what Rivian says about their bed:
Everyone has different needs for their truck bed. Some want it smaller for better maneuverability. Others want it longer for special cargo and hauling. We designed ours to satisfy both. For maximum length, we developed the tailgate with a gooseneck hinge system, extending the bed floor to 83.9 inches with the tailgate down. With the tailgate up, the bed length measures 54.1 inches, making it easier to get around and park every day.

Unfortunately as you may know the 180 tailgate didn't make it to final production. I think the idea with the tailgate down length is that dirt bikes and other larger toys and material could be secured with the in bed tie downs and transported. Not sure of any plans to offer a OEM accessory comperable to below.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Extender? 1634314841477

Edit: Welcome to the Forum. Their is a wealth of info if you don't mind reading through the tangents.

Last edited:
OP
OP

E_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Everyone has different needs for their truck bed. Some want it smaller for better maneuverability. Others want it longer for special cargo and hauling. We designed ours to satisfy both. For maximum length, we developed the tailgate with a gooseneck hinge system, extending the bed floor to 83.9 inches with the tailgate down. With the tailgate up, the bed length measures 54.1 inches, making it easier to get around and park every day.

Unfortunately as you may know the 180 tailgate didn't make it to final production. I think the idea with the tailgate down length is that dirt bikes and other larger toys and material could be secured with the in bed tie downs and transported. Not sure of any plans to offer a OEM accessory comperable to below.
1634314841477.png
Thanks. As long as there hooks in place to secure even if the back is exposes works for me. That extender cage would be ideal to just give a lot bit more certainty.

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Thanks. As long as there hooks in place to secure even if the back is exposes works for me. That extender cage would be ideal to just give a lot bit more certainty.
There are 4 tie-downs in the bed of the truck.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)

1634314841477.png

Edit: Welcome to the Forum. Their is a wealth of info if you don't mind reading through the tangents.
This thread/photo got me thinking about a couple of things (from someone who hasn't used a bed extender):

1. Given that there are still gaps in the cage, can things get through? For example, could those 2x4s slip through those gaps?

2. Has there been any discussion as to whether driving with the tailgate lowered will help range at all? I haven't owned a pickup truck in many years, but I recall there being thinking at the time that driving with the tailgate down would decrease drag and increase fuel economy (putting aside the risk to tailgaters behind you). I've read through way more posts than I care to admit in the past year and don't recall seeing this discussed.

(Note - I spent the extra 90 seconds and Googled this myself and found this article, which cites a Consumer Reports study concluding that driving with the tailgate down is LESS efficient, and further, driving with a tonneau cover is even worse than that!. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-dropping-your-tailgate-improve-your-trucks-gas-mileage/. I'm leaving my original question, though, in the event there are others that have bad information like I did.)

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
This thread/photo got me thinking about a couple of things (from someone who hasn't used a bed extender):

1. Given that there are still gaps in the cage, can things get through? For example, could those 2x4s slip through those gaps?

2. Has there been any discussion as to whether driving with the tailgate lowered will help range at all? I haven't owned a pickup truck in many years, but I recall there being thinking at the time that driving with the tailgate down would decrease drag and increase fuel economy (putting aside the risk to tailgaters behind you). I've read through way more posts than I care to admit in the past year and don't recall seeing this discussed.

(Note - I spent the extra 90 seconds and Googled this myself and found this article, which cites a Consumer Reports study concluding that driving with the tailgate down is LESS efficient, and further, driving with a tonneau cover is even worse than that!. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-dropping-your-tailgate-improve-your-trucks-gas-mileage/. I'm leaving my original question, though, in the event there are others that have bad information like I did.)
My experience with my F150 is that the closed bed cover significantly INCREASES mpg efficiency... which seems intuitive due to less wind resistance on the closed tailgate.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My experience with my F150 is that the closed bed cover significantly INCREASES mpg efficiency... which seems intuitive due to less wind resistance on the closed tailgate.
I think myth busters tested the tailgate myth and busted it. Tailgate didn’t hurt fuel economy. Actually it may have helped it.

ever had leaves or loose dirt in your bed? Drive around with tailgate up and it doesn’t really clear out. Why? Because pressure builds in the closed bed and the bubble causes air to rush over it and out the back — not swirl in the bed.

OP
OP

E_Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I think driving with the tonneau cover closed will influence the most benefit. As for the cage, its great for big bulk items like plywood, bikes, furniture. I wouldn't stack a bunch of 2x4s without risk of causing a scene beyond you as you drive uphill. When flipped inward, the cage can also act as a bed divider. I wouldnt suggest leaving it in all the time, but its money when you need it. Faster to deploy then figuring out straps.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My understanding is that bed and tonneau cover closed has been established as most efficient although I can't remember were I've gotten my info or if it was reliable or not... could be myth busters.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
From the Consumer Reports study:

“With the tailgate up and no tonneau, we got 22.3 mpg. Dropping the tailgate decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg.…

We found that covering the bed with a soft tonneau cover was even more detrimental, dropping fuel economy to 21.4 mpg.”

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

My understanding is that bed and tonneau cover closed has been established as most efficient although I can't remember were I've gotten my info or if it was reliable or not... could be myth busters.
All this talk of efficiency - Anybody know how did the EPA measure their results? With or without the tonneau?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
From the Consumer Reports study:

“With the tailgate up and no tonneau, we got 22.3 mpg. Dropping the tailgate decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg.…

We found that covering the bed with a soft tonneau cover was even more detrimental, dropping fuel economy to 21.4 mpg.”
Apparently results for this may be mixed I found an article by Grace Mohan (12/2020) that referenced a study by SEMA that tested 4 diffiferent trucks and 13 tonneau covers and found an average of 5.7% reduction in Cd with tonneau closed. I also checked Myth Busters who determined a 5% reduction in their less scientific study.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Would be great if Rivian made one. There are a number of options, 3rd party, on Amazon for bed extenders. Assuming that an 'official' one would work with existing cameras and such, although the extender/tailgate-down option I had with a Ridgeline made the backup camera unusable...pointed straight down.
Sponsored