Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Apologies if this has been discussed before:

Has there been any discussion or thought around the ability to swap out the battery pack you initially get, with a larger pack ( or solid state for that matter once they implement )?

I recall an early video of RJ talking about the long term lifecycle and redeployment of old battery packs to on-grid solutions. It seems like maybe a possibility, albeit likely an expensive one, to be able to forklift the battery pack off for something new. I know the logistics of this are probably staggering, but an intriguing thought.

Honestly probably a cost hit that would just warrant taking the depreciation $ hit of trading the truck in for a newer model with the pack you want anyway - but I thought it might be an interesting option / possibility. Just mix and match the "top" of your truck to the "bottom" pack.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DynoSaur

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Once my Rivian reaches the end of its useful life, it will turn into my home energy storage.

By that time, probably 10-15 years away, battery & vehicle tech should be far advanced from where it is today & worthy of an upgrade.

I fully expect E-VTOL to take off by then (pun intended) and be affordable enough.

Smitty000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 and Volt
Occupation
Consultant
Apologies if this has been discussed before:

Has there been any discussion or thought around the ability to swap out the battery pack you initially get, with a larger pack ( or solid state for that matter once they implement )?

I recall an early video of RJ talking about the long term lifecycle and redeployment of old battery packs to on-grid solutions. It seems like maybe a possibility, albeit likely an expensive one, to be able to forklift the battery pack off for something new. I know the logistics of this are probably staggering, but an intriguing thought.

Honestly probably a cost hit that would just warrant taking the depreciation $ hit of trading the truck in for a newer model with the pack you want anyway - but I thought it might be an interesting option / possibility. Just mix and match the "top" of your truck to the "bottom" pack.
There will be a range extender from Rivian. I’d imagine there will be an aftermarket for range extenders as well. I plan on getting the 300 mi battery and getting a range extender when towing.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There will be a range extender from Rivian. I’d imagine there will be an aftermarket for range extenders as well. I plan on getting the 300 mi battery and getting a range extender when towing.
Just because Rivian has a patent on an extender (a digital "Jerry Can"), doesn't meant that they will produce it. I wouldn't include that option as a vital part of my purchase plan...

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I do not believe Rivian has announced a "range extender" other than mentioning Rivian to Rivian charging, which I believe has not been confirmed either. I would be surprised if Rivian or after market releases anything that will extend range. The technical and practical/ logistic challenges in doing this in the near future are prohibitive from my understanding. The best solution likely available is making the initial purchase for the battery size that best suits your use case and not planning on upgrading.
I've heard read people mention hauling around solar panels or generators to extend range which is mind boggling to me. The added range is so minimal it is not worth the hassle and expense. If existing products don't meet your range requirements as offered I would either try to modify my use case to fit current conditions or wait for range/ charging infrastructure to meet my needs. The latter will likely happen within a few years.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian support for that has absolutely not been confirmed.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not believe Rivian has announced a "range extender" other than mentioning Rivian to Rivian charging, which I believe has not been confirmed either.
I spoke directly to RJ at the Seattle event and he told me specifically that Rivian to Rivian charging is confirmed. Also, he confirmed that during the Long Way Up, Rivians were used to charge the LiveWire as well. As I've said before, many things "confirmed" at these events have changed, so....

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I spoke directly to RJ at the Seattle event and he told me specifically that Rivian to Rivian charging is confirmed. Also, he confirmed that during the Long Way Up, Rivians were used to charge the LiveWire as well. As I've said before, many things "confirmed" at these events have changed, so....
I guess Technically the bike, or any EV, could be charged from the available 120v convenience receptacles albeit around 4 miles added per hour. For an efficient bike it could be as much as 20 I guess. For me I would be more interested in vehicle to home power for if the power goes out.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess Technically the bike, or any EV, could be charged from the available 120v convenience receptacles albeit around 4 miles added per hour. For an efficient bike it could be as much as 20 I guess. For me I would be more interested in vehicle to home power for if the power goes out.
No, he didn't mean from the 120v outlet.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
No, he didn't mean from the 120v outlet.
Exactly, the only "official" communication I am aware of that could be construed as a means of charging V2V would be the outlets. What we are envisioning, as you mention was stated to you at the Seattle event, has not been released in print AFAIK. I'm hoping RJ can come through with his intent here, and I think there is a reasonable chance he will. Being that Rivian would be the only one currently supporting such technology I would think that if it was locked in they would announce it as a major feature. So I give V2V charging 50% likelihood except 99% chance of slow L1 V2V by way of convenience receptacle.
To that point one could technically tow a second Rivian on a trailer as a range extender. This would also provide you with up to 4 full size spare tires!

Smitty000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 and Volt
Occupation
Consultant
Just because Rivian has a patent on an extender (a digital "Jerry Can"), doesn't meant that they will produce it. I wouldn't include that option as a vital part of my purchase plan...
Agree to disagree. SparkCharge is already an aftermarket option.

Smitty000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 and Volt
Occupation
Consultant
I do not believe Rivian has announced a "range extender" other than mentioning Rivian to Rivian charging, which I believe has not been confirmed either. I would be surprised if Rivian or after market releases anything that will extend range. The technical and practical/ logistic challenges in doing this in the near future are prohibitive from my understanding. The best solution likely available is making the initial purchase for the battery size that best suits your use case and not planning on upgrading.
I've heard read people mention hauling around solar panels or generators to extend range which is mind boggling to me. The added range is so minimal it is not worth the hassle and expense. If existing products don't meet your range requirements as offered I would either try to modify my use case to fit current conditions or wait for range/ charging infrastructure to meet my needs. The latter will likely happen within a few years.
Camping world, lordstown, and airstream have already messaged they will build in a battery pack to travel trailers for EV towing applications. I would imagine after market range extenders will be a market as SparkCharge is already available. The question would be if Rivian will produce an OEM solution with coolant integration as their patent suggests.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Camping world, lordstown, and airstream have already messaged they will build in a battery pack to travel trailers for EV towing applications. I would imagine after market range extenders will be a market as SparkCharge is already available. The question would be if Rivian will produce an OEM solution with coolant integration as their patent suggests.
I remember seeing something about spark charge. Seems like an option for adding maybe up to 50 miles. Good call Smitty. I did read the Airstream article but didn't consider it viable as a means to extend range.
Sponsored