First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Wondering what are people's thoughts after the latest information.
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I don't necessarily want to say that I am disappointed about the 180kWh pack not being available until January of the year two thousand and twenty-two...I guess bummed that I may have to wait an additional 6 months to have my R1T in my driveway...I will know for sure Monday once the configurator is online and I can hopefully see the price difference between the 135 and 180 and that may sway me to the Launch edition in either Limestone or El Cap Granite...

OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I don't necessarily want to say that I am disappointed about the 180kWh pack not being available until January of the year two thousand and twenty-two...I guess bummed that I may have to wait an additional 6 months to have my R1T in my driveway...I will know for sure Monday once the configurator is online and I can hopefully see the price difference between the 135 and 180 and that may sway me to the Launch edition in either Limestone or El Cap Granite...
I'm on the same boat, except I'm between the Limestone and the Launch green i guess if I decide to wait, then my color choice will be an easy desicion.

Sponsored

huskylord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subie
I was always going to be disappointed because any trim has always been out of my budget. :) I love these vehicles, will always be cheering for Rivian and hope they grow as a company. Most likely I'll need to wait for their equivalent of a Model 3 vehicle.....and keep driving my aging SUV a few more years.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Overall, disappointed.

I feel like they really misled their pre-order holders in quite a few ways. Price is actually higher than they told Reuters it would be, no electrochromatic roof, No removable roof, no power/drop down tailgate, no 180 battery pack at launch, no mention of level 3 autonomy, no Lidar, no spare tire included, etc. They also told us they were benchmarking Bentley for their interior quality target, and the only thing they’ve highlighted is that there is driver/passenger lumbar adjustment, which made me snicker. My 97 Jetta had that.

It‘s a pretty long list of let downs.

But they make a point to mention that there will be games on the center screen and a portable Bluetooth speaker. Yay :rolleyes:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
With no 180 kWh pack and no 5 seat variant, sounds like LE is out for me. I will likely go ahead and configure that initially and then see what news is revealed over time.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Overall, disappointed.

I feel like they really misled their pre-order holders in quite a few ways. Price is actually higher than they told Reuters it would be, no electrochromatic roof, No removable roof, no power/drop down tailgate, no 180 battery pack at launch, no mention of level 3 autonomy, no Lidar, no spare tire included, etc. They also told us they were benchmarking Bentley for their interior quality target, and the only thing they’ve highlighted is that there is driver/passenger lumbar adjustment, which made me snicker. My 97 Jetta had that.

It‘s a pretty long list of let downs.

But they make a point to mention that there will be games on the center screen and a portable Bluetooth speaker. Yay :rolleyes:
They have said they'll be adding additional options in the coming months and we can add those as it happens until our ship dates hit. I was hoping to see more like 65k for base trim but for being a year + covid disruptions out, I can forgive being 2.5k off of that. He did say "well-equipped" and not loaded. LE is very loaded. I am bummed to hear the 180 swing-down gate is no longer a thing. I hope they add that back eventually. Or maybe they had to pull that for longer gate-down bed length?

Thats something I was talking to my wife about. I mean a lease for a couple of years while waiting for the larger pack...
I was on the fence. I don't expect to tow a lot, so 300 is pretty good for road trips. 100 miles less on road trips doesn't really seem to hurt you very much in terms of hours on a week-long trip. And if they're planning battery packs you can drop on top of the bed, they should have ones you can just load onto a trailer and hook up from there eventually.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Extremely disappointed, I want the large battery and the removable roof, that puts the delivery date at mid 2022 at best. Having a preorder at the 10K order mark has left me with zero advantage, having to wait almost two years for the vehicle I want, three years from my pre-order date (May 2019). I will configure on Monday and get the proposed delivery date, but will not be very happy with it.

I did preorder the Hummer as a backup plan, so in about a year I will know where I stand for that delivery. We shall see who wins.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Extremely disappointed, I want the large battery and the removable roof, that puts the delivery date at mid 2022 at best. Having a preorder at the 10K order mark has left me with zero advantage, having to wait almost two years for the vehicle I want, three years from my pre-order date (May 2019). I will configure on Monday and get the proposed delivery date, but will not be very happy with it.

I did preorder the Hummer as a backup plan, so in about a year I will know where I stand for that delivery. We shall see who wins.
At least we now have confirmation that the R1T will have a removable roof option

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Extremely disappointed, I want the large battery and the removable roof, that puts the delivery date at mid 2022 at best. Having a preorder at the 10K order mark has left me with zero advantage, having to wait almost two years for the vehicle I want, three years form my pre-order date (May 2019). I will configure on Monday and get the proposed delivery date, but will not be very happy with it.

I don't think they're going to make 2021 with the Hummer. I know GM isn't an EV startup but they've got a lot to do in 12 months to get there. Also, Rivian's sticking to their guns on June but if any EV company looks like they might beat a launch date right now, it's them.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think they're going to make 2021 with the Hummer. I know GM isn't an EV startup but they've got a lot to do in 12 months to get there. Also, Rivian's sticking to their guns on June but if any EV company looks like they might beat a launch date right now, it's them.
I disagree with you about GM not making it next year, but you could be right. The big three very seldom miss their target.

I do believe that any delays would be more likely due to COVID and lockdowns, but that would affect Rivian also and delay them as well. Hopefully the vaccine is very successful and nobody will be shut down temporarily.

I have also been thinking about why the larger battery is not ready yet, I think that is due to the battery supply chain not being ready (too low of volume). They have a limited number of battery modules as compared to the rest of the parts. Why else would they ship lesser capable trucks initially.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I was initially disappointed. I had talked myself into finding the money to pay for 180 KwH pack. Sleeping on it I am less concerned.
  1. I have strong concerns about initial quality from a first time manufacturer.
  2. The Launch Edition has the options I most wanted other than batter pack and is cheaper than 180 KwH. Also if I wait, by the time I buy the Fed rebate will be gone for Rivian which mitigates my layout of $$$ if I buy now.
  3. Hopefully there will be a lease option that is VERY attractive otherwise I could see the Launch edition being a 3-4 yr vehicle for me and then I upgrade to what will hopefully be a more sorted and longer range version of the vehicle. This option is expensive but mitigates overall risk. The rebate lowers my depreciation hit for MY wallet, especially with competitors around the corner.
  4. The roof is a concern, I want it to be completely opaque most of the time. I didn't want to pay for electrochromatic, its a parlor trick to me. I likely would have bought a removable option but again would use it ~10 days a year... Looking forward to the configurator.
  5. I am concerned about tires. Living in southern WI means I need good snow capability 4-5 months (hopefully) a year. To increase range and fun I dont want the AT tires NOR performance tires year round. Can I get cheap rims with good tires for winter that don't screw with the vehicle dynamics.
  6. Wheel size, are the 22 in rims going to significantly hurt my range? My limited knowledge says yes. Can I get performance Tires on the 20" rims? Conversely can I get a snow tire on 22s? I know that seems ridiculous but its a reality for us snow belt truck drivers.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
When I preordered I was driving a 294 mi vehicle and was of the opinion that it was marginally good enough but, as many of us did in that era, dreamed of the day when BEV would provide more range. When I saw 400 miles for the R1T I jumped. I'm now driving a BEV with 351 miles range and even that 55 extra miles makes a difference (much of which, I recognize, may be in my head). There is no way I would ever consider going back to 300 miles. Especially in a truck where, if a trailer is being towed, that's 150 miles. So I'll wait an extra year for 400 miles recognizing that 500 mile CT's will be rolling out around then. If it's early spring for the R1T and late spring for the CT what do you (or Rivian) think I will do?

Beyond that it would seem that the difference between a 300 mile truck and a 400 mile truck should be a simple matter of 33% more battery modules. Were that the case both ranges could be released at the same time. It would be the usual case that the higher dollar model is released first because a premium can be charged for it and this becomes a source of funding for factory expansion. So evidently there is more to it than 33% more battery. The batteries they intend to use may not perform as well as anticipated, the BMS may not be able to handle 33% more cells, there may be a problem with getting (from suppliers) 33% more cells. None of these prospects is very pleasing to think about.

They have my $1,000. They can hang onto it for another year. I will reevaluate at that time. If Rivian's best delivery is close to Telsa's I'll cancel the Rivian order then. I don't need 2 trucks.
Sponsored

Last edited: